In a very welcoming news from Kullu administration today, “Beyond Rohtang Pass Permit” has been enabled for season 2018-19 on the main website of Kullu Administration. Now, everyone including tourists can apply for Rohtang Pass permit online at either official website of Kullu administration or using the newly launched Rohtang Pass Permit Mobile App by Kullu administration. If you are new to it, you can read more about the process on how to apply for Rohtang Pass permit online. Hence, finally today, the Manali – Leh Highway has been officially open for 2018-19 to travel beyond Rohtang Pass for all type of vehicles including private tourist vehicles.
A few years back, NGT had enforced the permit for all vehicles visiting Rohtang Pass from Manali side for tourism purposes and all vehicles require a permit to go beyond Rohtang Pass to Leh – Ladakh, and Lahaul – Spiti Valley. The permit for Rohtang Pass visit has certain limitations on the number of vehicles the permit is issued while no restriction is applicable for vehicles going beyond Rohtang Pass. Hence, there are two categories of the permits for Rohtang Pass, one just for visiting Rohtang Pass and the other one is to go beyond Rohtang Pass to Leh – Ladakh or Lahaul – Spiti Valley.
Rohtang Pass Permit Mobile App 2018
Starting 2018-19 season, now tourists traveling to Rohtang Pass can apply for Rohtang Pass permit and Beyond Rohtang Pass permit using the newly launched mobile apps by Kullu administration. The Rohtang Pass Permit mobile app is available on both Android Play Store as well as iOS App Store.
- Rohtang Pass permit app is available for both Android and iOS devices/mobiles.
- You can check the validity of your Rohtang Pass permit or Beyond Rohtang Pass permit on Rohtang Pass mobile app by scanning the barcode on the permit or entering the permit number.
- You can check the status of the Rohtang Pass permit by entering the vehicle number and date of journey. The permit is displayed on the mobile app and you can download the permit as a pdf to take the printout.
- People applying for just Rohtang Pass Permit to travel just to Rohtang Pass and not beyond it, they have an option to check the availability of the Rohtang Pass Permit in the mobile app. As there is a cap on the number of Diesel and Petrol vehicles to travel to Rohtang Pass in a day, you can check if there is any permit available for the desired date of travel or not use the Rohtang Pass mobile app.
- The Rohtang Pass permit can only be applied between 12 Noon to 12 Midnight and it cannot be applied in any other time window.
- Once the Rohtang Pass permit is issued, it cannot be canceled. Hence, please be careful in the applying the Rohtang Pass permit with correct dates and other details, so that you do not waste the permit for anyone else. There is an extreme scarcity of Rohtang Pass permit, so please be responsible towards other tourists as well.
- Please note that only two permits per mobile device or IP address is allowed. So, if you are using the shared Internet like office or college or cyber cafe Internet, the possibility will be someone else would have applied for the permit and you will either see an error or quota full as the message. Hence, apply from a mobile or PC with an Internet connection that you think others won’t have used to apply for Rohtang Pass permit.
- You can send in your queries at [email protected] for further doubts on Rohtang Pass permit and issue with the mobile app or Kullu Administration website.
Important Points for Beyond Rohtang Pass Permit 2018-19
- Congestion fee or permit for Beyond Rohtang Pass can only be applied a week in advance of travel date.
- You must provide correct information about the vehicle and other documents when applying for Beyond Rohtang Pass Permit else you will not be allowed to cross Gulaba checkpost.
- The permit is required for all type of vehicles including motorbikes at Rs 50. Heavy vehicles need to pay Rs 100 as congestion charges.
- The Beyond Rohtang Pass permit can only be applied twice for one vehicle in a week.
- You must carry the print out of the Beyond Rohtang Pass permit after applying it online.
- You must note that Beyond Rohtang Pass permit is required only for vehicles traveling in the direction from Manali to Rohtang Pass. Any vehicles coming from Leh to Manali or Kaza to Manali do not need any permit for Rohtang Pass.
Pro Tip: If you are doing a self drive to Zanskar Valley, then make sure to read the article 40 Must Have Things to Carry on a Self Drive Trip to Zanskar Valley
I am sure this article will help you with all your questions on Rohtang Pass permit and Beyond Rohtang Pass permit. The Rohtang Pass Mobile app is a great and welcoming move by the Kullu administration and much appreciated. It is going to help so many people every year who are applying for Rohtang Pass permit. I am really thankful to them for easing out the process with this new Mobile app. In case, you have any questions or suggestions, feel free to post them either in the comments section of this article below or in the “Ask a Travel Question” section of the website. You can also take guidance from other travel experts in DoW Community.
A big THANK YOU to Anupam Mahanta bhai for his continuous contribution in DoW Community Group in Facebook where he shared the above permit circular with all of us.