Let me start by saying your blog is amazing and it really inspires people to travel 🙂
We(my fiance and me) are thinking of visiting Leh in August this year. We were thinking of the following itinerary
Aug 24th: Arrive in Leh and rest day to acclimatize overnight at leh
Aug 25th: half day rest and to see shanti stupa, leh palace and markets overnight at leh
Aug 26th : Go to Nubra Valley via Khardunga pass and stay at Hunder or Dikshit and do the sand dunes camel rides
Overnight at nubra
August 27th: go for morning prayers in dikshit and return to leh overnite at leh
August 28th: go to see alchi and likir monastries sham valley and moodscape return back to leh overnight at leh
August 29th: go to shey, thikshey hemis (whichever can be completed) and travel to pangaong tao overnight at pangong
August 30th: return back from pangong tao (cover rest of monstaries on the way back)
August 31st early morning flight back.
We had the following questions:
- Since we are thinking of not going through any tour agency how easy is it to get permits by ourselves, and is it even possible?
- We want to have a taxi for all the days. Will it be possible to book a taxi once we land there?
- Our the hotels better to be booked in advance or we can book them while we are there. We would prefer (4 star hotels)
- Any suggestions/feedback to the itinerary will be highly appreciated
Thank you and am glad you liked my blog 🙂 … my replies below to your questions:
1. As you are foreigners, once you land in Leh, you can ask the hotel you are staying to arrange it for you. But, you will mandatorily has to go through a travel agent to apply for permits, though it does not mean you have to take a tour with them.
2. It is possible to book a taxi once you land but to ease out things and avoid first day hassles, it is better to pre-book the taxi so that driver can pick you up from Airport. Also many hotels provide free pickup from Airport and drop too. There are couple of buses as well that now runs in the morning to Leh town.
3. You can book them once you reach there. Should not be much of an issue. If you have pre-arranged a taxi, your taxi guys should be able to help you.
Thank you so much to get back to me so quickly :). Just a few more doubts, do you think the trip plan looks good? Is it too hectic or not too hectic 😛 . Do the hotels have tie ups with taxi operators so if we booked hotel we could communicate with them and get get them to book us a taxi for all days? And regarding the tour operator you meant that the hotel would arrange some local operator to do the permits,is this correct?
Plan is good, many people prefer it that ways and we also recommend it as a part of our common itinerary. You also have a Sham Valley trip in between which will help you rest too 🙂
Well, yeah, hotel can provide you the taxi. I would have recommended that you had connected with local driver directly as it helps them a lot but if language is a barrier there, feel free to get in touch with hotel and they can certainly book the taxi for you. I prefer supporting locals who are in need 🙂
For the leh – ladakh taxi union rate list 2018 – 19 including the contacts of some reliable taxi drivers within Leh – Ladakh, check the link here. You can get about 12-15% of discount by directly getting in touch with drivers and of course, talking in person rather on phone always help in bargaining more. You can call the local drivers directly to connect with them and check the more comprehensive List of Taxi Drivers for Ladakh – Srinagar – Leh – Manali with recommendations/reviews for DoW community members.
Please login or Register to submit your answer