DoW Himalayan Travel Community

Protected Area Permit in Ladakh for Foreigners

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

We all know that Inner Line Permits in Ladakh have been exempted for Indians or domestic tourists for most of the common tourist places and routes in Ladakh since last year May 2014. As an Indian Tourist or Indian Nationals, now we can just present our valid Photo ID Nationality Proof (Driving License, Indian Passport, Aadhar Card, PAN Card, etc..) at the ITBP/Army/Police check-posts along with the self declaration form link [download id="15" format="2"]. You can submit this filled form when and where asked from you and that will just acts as permit for you 🙂 🙂 … However, there are some restrictions still though for Indians as well and we STILL NEED to apply for Inner Line Permits in order to visit places like: Hanle, Chusul, Tsaga, beyond Loma bend, Chumur, Marsimik La, Batalik sectors. You can read the detailed article at the link:  No permits required in Ladakh for Indians

Wondering how to get Protected Area Permit in Ladakh?
Wondering how to get Protected Area Permit in Ladakh?

If we talk about foreigners or NRIs then, all foreign nationals, NRIs having PIOs or OCIs still need Protected Area Permit (PAP) or Restricted Area Permit (RAP) to visit Inner Line areas of Ladakh including Pangong tso, Nubra Valley, Khardung La, Tso Moriri, Turtuk, Dah Hanu Villages. Some places have been recently opened for foreigners which includes Man, Merak villages near Pangong Tso, Loma bend from where the diversion to Hanle goes (but Hanle is still restricted for a visit by a foreigner), Pachathang & Tyakshi villages in Nubra Valley near Turtuk have also opened. Some routes in the Kargil / Batalik sectors have also been opened for foreigners which includes Kargil to Leh via Khangral – Shaker – Chiktan and Dah to Kargil along Darchik – Batalik – Slimo. There is no need of any permit in order to visit Suru and Zanskar Valley, south of Kargil. 

In order to apply for the Protect Area Permit (PAP), a foreigner must be in a group of two or more foreigners and PAP must be applied at DC Office, Leh with required fees through a registered Travel Agent in Leh. Registered travel agents will help with the groups if you are a single traveler and you do not necessarily need to travel with that group after you get the permit. So, no worries even if you are a solo traveler. Once you get the permit, make at least 8-10 photo copies as you need to submit them at the check posts on your journey to these inner line places in Ladakh. The duration of PAP is seven days and you need to re-apply permit in case you want to have an extended stay up there in Ladakh. You can download the Protected Area Permit form for your reference at the link: Protected Area Permit Form and Application

Permit for citizens of Pakistan, China, Afghanistan, Bangladesh and Burma are issued by the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) and permits for those people who are on diplomatic or official VISA are issued by the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) in Delhi. 

I hope this article helps you get much needed information on getting Protect Area Permits for foreigners. You can also go through the FAQs for the PAP or RAP (Restricted Area Permit) available on the official website of MHA at the link: Also, to know more details and some queries asked by other foreigners, you can go through the thread in DoW Community: Inner Line Permit and application letter for foreigners and can use the thread to post your queries too.

Are you looking for the CUSTOMIZED TOURS?? Get in touch with our our handpicked & trusted Destination Specialists from the Himalayas who offer SPECIAL DISCOUNTED RATES to all the readers/followers of the Devil On Wheels website.


About Author

You can call me an avid traveler, a day-night dreamer and a passionate lover of the Himalayas who has a high zest for driving whilst exploring new places in the Himalayas & sharing back those Himalayan travel experiences with the other fellow travelers... I am in love with Spreading Smiles in Himalayas through DoW Causes & currently enjoying life as Happy Traveling Soul at DoW Community. You can read more about me in detail at the link here ...

Comments are closed.

Love Traveling to Himalayas?

YES?? Then, Let's Stay Connected !!

Get FREE monthly travel updates, news, guides, tips, itineraries, stories, hotel & restaurant reviews, etc.. focused totally on travelling to Himalayas right in to your email inbox.

Don't worry, we will neither SPAM nor SELL your email :)

Send this to a friend