With this post I will be starting the articles on review of eating joints or restaurants at the places I travel with my family and friends and other travellers. I will keep updating the same articles with more eating joints or restaurants review as I travel subsequent times to the same place so that one article can easily enlist the good/bad eating joints/restaurants of a certain place. I hope you love these series and find these articles helpful while making a choice to eat out when you travel to that particular place. I will try to keep the reviews of restaurants or eating joints as brief as possible. Well, first article shall be from one of the most special places of my travel that is a list of good restaurants in Leh – Ladakh Ladakh 🙂 …
Good Restaurants / Eating Joints in Leh – Ladakh
Lamayuru Restaurant , Old Fort road, Leh
VERY MUCH recommended !! Situated on Old Fort Road, Lamayuru restaurant is one of the best places in Leh to have food. They server almost everything except South Indian. I had been there 5-6 times and every time just loved the services as well as the quality of food with good to go prices as well. Even for veggie + eggie like me, it had good amount of variety on offer. We tried breakfast as well as dinner many a times. Use Gesmo Wikimapia Link to find this one on map, it is the one just before Gesmo on left as seen on the map.
Gesmo Restaurant, Old Fort Road, Leh
VERY MUCH recommended!! Situated on Old Fort Road, Gesmo Restaurant or call it a German bakery or something serving North Indian food, the place have it all topped with their special Yak Cheeze Pizza and special ambience at night, the place very much deserve a visit if you are in Leh. Service is a bit slow when compared to Lamayuru but complete worth it. It is right adjacent to Lamayuru restaurant only. Gesmo Wikimapia Link
Neha Snacks, Main Market, Leh
Missing your favourite Alloo tikki or Puri Chole in the cold desert of Leh – Ladakh? lol, Neha Snacks in Main Market is the place for you then. Good food and great prices, will surely gonna bring back the taste buds from home. MUST TRY!!
Shubh Punjabi, Main Market, Leh
One of the friends had been there to Shubh Punjabi restaurant and recommends it very much. Lassi is a MUST TRY thing over there according to him.
Little Italy Restaurant, Near Main Market Leh
We went there only once, its near Main Market where you need to climb stairs as it is on the first floor. The food was extremely nice though there was only rice on offer but not rotis as cooks have not arrived in Leh being off season. Yet, the Dum Aaloo and Matar Panner tasted too yummy. Never had such a Kashmiri Dum Aaloo ever, yeah not even wen I was i Kashmir 😉 … So, if nothing works out for you, then you may try this one as well.
Jeevan Cafe, Changspa Road, Leh
VERY MUCH recommended!! Right on Changspa road, very good and reasonable priced food. Good variety and specially the breakfast is really good. Service is quite good too. Jeevan Cafe Wikimapia Link
Hotel Sten Del Restaurant, Deskit, Nubra Valley
Though not much of a restaurant, it is a Hotel but if you are looking out for some good food in Nubra Valley – Deskit, then do not look anywhere else rather just go and search for Hotel Sten Del or Sangam Bar and Restaurant. The food was just amazing and yeah, they have a garden bar as well to enjoy a drink or two.
Restaurants / Eating Joints to Avoid in Leh – Ladakh
Dreamland Restaurant, Old Fort Road, Leh
Just a one liner, PLEASE AVOID!! Pathetic service, average/bad food and priced high too. Had the worst food on my recent 12 days trip to Ladakh. Same feedback by one of the friends too who incidentally went to it. Just to be sure, here is the map link: Dreamland Wikimapia Link
- Lamayuru and Gesmo Restaurants, Leh: Htv8 says below “Vote for Lamayuru, and Gesmo restaurant. Nice food, nice service, and reasonable price. You find good sour soup and yogurt with honey here in two shops. Chicken tandoori is good to. The chef of Gesmo is from Nepal, and offer very good taste.”
- Amdo: Lamalady recommends it at the link here and says “Amdo in the main bazaar beats all these places hands down.” Also, Garima writes here that “Amdo food in the main market. First floor restaurant. Only saw locals in there, which also means its a down to earth place. Try the spinach and cheese momos”
- MY SECRET RECIPE: Ravi says here in community thread, that MY SECRET RECIPE, on Upper Thukcha Road, near its junction with Changspa Road, and right opposite WWF India’s Field Office in Hemis Complex. This place is easily missed unless you look out for the signboard on a crumbling compound wall. You enter either through the small gate here, or through an alley leading off Changspa road lined with hawkers selling trinkets. Either way you reach a rambling courtyard with a little homely cottage in the centre. The place is run by a group of women with a bright sunny interior. The decor is delightful. Please try all their dishes, although the place is mostly known for its coffee & cakes. The omelettes were yummy, my young daughter swears by their pizza, the spaghetti (vegetable, mushroom variants) was delicious and comforting after returning from long getaways from Leh, and don’t forget to wash it all down with their nourishing smoothies!
- Chopstiks Restaurant, Leh: Htv8 says below “There is another good Chopstick restaurant as well. It is right in the corner of Lamayuru, and go straight, on the left side, it is on the first floor. It has beautiful outside view on a full moon night. Inside, it has good decoration, and you are sitting in a warm room.”
- BBQ Shop, Leh: Htv8 says below “Another BBQ shop, which is in Opposite way with Chopstick (just go straight from LAmayuru, and on the right side), you have beautiful garden view, serve good eastern breakfast. The price here is a little bit more expensive then others.”
- World Garden Cafe, Changspa Road – Leh: Nidhi says below “My favourite the World Garden Cafe on Changspa. Its an open air cafe with a few tables under tents as well. They have all cuisines North Indian, Italian, English, Israeli etc. They also serve some amazing desserts most recommended are their Mars Chapati and Sweet Jesus. Its a very calm n soothing place. You dont realise you are such a busy road as Changspa. There is a stream nearby.” Suman also recommends it here
- KC Garden: Dipanshu Bansal says here, KC Garden is awesome and Planet M recommended restaurant.
- Cafe IRIS: Lakshit says here, Cafe IRIS is an excellent option for snacks and dinner.
Dogra dhaba: Yash Dhaliwal says here, Dogra dhaba, Next to GESMO.
I think the best place to eat in leh
- Bon Appetit: Lamalady recommended here, chocolate momos at this place.
- Tibetan Kitchen: Kiran recommends it at the link here and says “Very good food, good service & reasonable.”
- German Bakery: Anshul recommends it at the link here and says “German Bakery is also good , Their Yak Cheese is awesome. Other then that they have a quite good ambience and dishes. I particularly loved lemon ginger honey and mint ginger honey there in Ladakh.” Beware of imposters though as there are many German Bakeries in Leh 😉
- Summer Harvest: near the Main market for Momos & yummy Thukpa….. Real good place to hang out … as posted by Ananya in her lovely and crisp Travel Tale: A Dream called … Ladakh“
- Pumpernickles: Had dinner at Pumpernickles next to German Bakery (the original i suppose with a Sardar boss)…Tastiest Lemon Honey Ginger Tea with a biggg burger, as posted by Ananya in her lovely and crisp Travel Tale: A Dream called … Ladakh“
- Bon Aroma: One restaurant that served yummy food at decent prices was Bon Aroma, placed in the road to the Main Bazaar. Pretty cheap by any standard. The food was delicious… as posted by Soham on the DoW Blog linked here
- Sunbeam cafe: at Old Fort Road – This one serves very good Thukpa, Kothey and Chocolate Banana Pancake, as posted by Neeraj in the community thread linked here
- Maska Chaska Restaurant: The food at Maska Chaska Restaurant was pretty awesome! Its near Ladakh Bike Rentals, as posted by Pranav in the community thread linked here
- IL Forno: The place was buzzing with foreigners. The food was lip-smacking. Just try their IL-Forno Pizza. Its among the best ones I had in my life, as posted by Pranav in the community thread linked here
- Wazwan Restaurant: Then tried the Kashmiri cuisine at Wazwan Restaurant in the main market. The Kashmiri Nan was to die for!, as posted by Pranav in the community thread linked here
- Happy World Restaurant: on Old Fort road, Leh. Amazing food with reasonable price. Also The restaurant inside Thiksey Monastery serves wonderful Themthuk., as posted by Subir in the comments section below.
- Rhinchen Cafeteria, Khardungla Top: Avik says below “Though may not be the best, but to get snacks and hot drinks at that altitude of 18300 ft (probably highest cafeteria in the world) is indeed great.” I too agree with it. Really great place to have some snacks, tomato soup is my favorite though 🙂
I hope you find the above list quite handy when you go out to eat in Leh – Ladakh. I request you to please share your views and feedback as well on these restaurants if you have been to any of them or others where you had a meal in Leh – Ladakh so that it we are able to compile a comprehensive list under one place for such Restaurants / Eating Joints all over Leh – Ladakh. I am sure this will certainly help other fellow travellers planning their trip to Leh – Ladakh.