The new season for Leh – Ladakh travel is about to begin in 2020 and as expected by this time of the year, Ladakh taxi union has published the Leh – Ladakh Taxi Rates 2020 – 21. In this article today, I am going to share with you the latest taxi rates of the year 2020 – 21 for all the routes in Leh – Ladakh.
Tourism in Leh Ladakh is on the rise year after year. Thousands of tourists who visit Ladakh every year opt for local taxis in Leh instead of driving their own cars. A lot of them travel to Ladakh by road from Manali and Srinagar.
However, the cost of taxis in Ladakh has always been a topic of debate among the tourists, travelers and the locals of Leh Ladakh. Let us look at how deep a hole these Leh taxis rates will put in your pocket when you plan a road trip to Ladakh in 2020 – 21.
Let's quickly dive into the details:
Leh Taxi Rates 2020 – No Hike in Rates
In accordance with the last 2-3 years of marginal increment in Ladakh taxi union rates, there has been a steady 8 – 10% increase in the Leh taxi rates for the year 2019. Till 2019, Inner routes in Ladakh have seen a steady hike including traveling to Nubra Valley, Pangong Tso and Tso Moriri. On a similar ground, the long routes of Leh Manali Highway and Srinagar Leh Highway have seen an increment of almost 10-12%.
However, this year in 2020 the Ladakh taxi union did not make any increment in the rates of taxis. They will continue to follow the same rates as of 2019.
This means that the trip to Leh Ladakh will not cost you more when you travel by taxis as compared to last year. However, given the terrain, I expect it to increase by 8-10% every year, and the Ladakh Union has done a great job in maintaining it in the last few years. I believe it is a very welcome move from Leh – Ladakh taxi union, and it will be interesting to see how the tourists approach the road trip to Ladakh in 2020.
People going first time to Leh – Ladakh must say or feel that rates of the Ladakh taxis are very high. With no increment in prices in 2020, some of them will still feel the same. However, there are always good reasons to choose a local taxi in Leh – Ladakh over an outside state taxi or drive, which anyways are not allowed for sightseeing within Ladakh.
Leh – Ladakh Taxi Rates 2020 – 2021 Season
The taxi rates in Leh – Ladakh are designated or divided as per the basis of the model and make of the taxis. In Leh – Ladakh, you can get XUV, Scorpio, Xylo, Aria, and Innovas. I am sharing the update on taxi rates with published rate chart in the article below:
- XUV, Innova, and Aria (highest price tag) – No major change in rates
- Xylo, Scorpio, Tavera, Sumo Grande, Qualis, Safari, etc.. (middle price tag) – No major change in rates
- Eeco, Omni Van, Winger, Old Sumo, Bolero, etc.. (lowest price tag) – No major change in rates
- Tempo Traveller / Wingers – No major change in rates
Please note that at times while going from Srinagar to Leh, you might need to work out few things if there have been some tensions in taxi unions of Kargil and Leh. To settle it out, what they do is that they make a transit point just before Fotu La while going to Leh from Kargil. All Leh taxis stop there and Kargil taxis too. They exchange passengers and move back in respective directions. Leh taxis take passengers to Leh coming from Srinagar/Kargil, and Kargil guys take passengers to Srinagar/Kargil coming from Leh. But, that happens only when there is an issue.
Taxi Rates for Popular Routes in Ladakh
The Leh – Ladakh taxi rates list below covers Ladakh sightseeing including trips to Nubra Valley, Pangong Tso, and Tso Moriri. It also covers the taxi rates for Manali – Leh Highway and Srinagar – Leh Highway routes. I am also enlisting below some of the most frequently visited trips in Ladakh and the applicable taxi rates for those routes. This will help you quickly get a rough idea of your budget for a taxi in Leh – Ladakh.
|Popular Tourist Route in Ladakh||Taxi Rate (XUV/Innova)||Tempo Traveler|
|Srinagar – Leh in 2 days||Rs 20240||Rs 23001|
|Leh Local Sightseeing||Rs 2500-3000||Rs 3500-4500|
|Leh – Nubra Valley in 2 Days (Diskit, Hunder)||Rs 10734||Rs 11593|
|Leh – Nubra Valley in 2 Days (Diskit, Hunder, Sumur, Panamik)||Rs 12784||Rs 13808|
|Leh – Nubra – Pangong Lake via Shyok in 3 Days||Rs 20373||Rs 24449|
|Leh – Pangong Tso (Spangmik) in 2 Days||Rs 11331||Rs 13416|
|Leh – Tso Moriri via Mahe Bridge in 2 Days||Rs 12978||Rs 15418|
|Leh – Tso Moriri – Tso Kar – Taglang La – Leh in 2 Days ||Rs 15711||Rs 18665|
|Leh – Tso Moriri – Tso Kar – Sarchu – Manali in 3 Days||Rs 31362||Rs 38136|
|Leh – Sarchu – Manali in 2 Days||Rs 23747||Rs 28211|
|Leh – Pangong Tso 1 Day||Rs 9518||Rs 10816|
|Leh – Nubra Valley 1 Day||Rs 8858||Rs 10494|
You should always carry your own water bottle and refill it as many times as you need water. It will not only keep you hydrated always, but you will also help in saving the Himalayas from plastic garbage. Remember, every tiny step counts and your step in this direction can help save the Himalayas too !! 🙂 🙂
Ladakh Taxi Union Rate List 2020
I am sharing below the images of Leh taxi rates 2020 shared with me by our driver friends from Ladakh. Some of these reliable taxi drivers are also listed below in this article. I am thankful to them for their good services to the tourists and glad to understand that Devil On Wheels travel platform has made a real difference in the lives of the local people of Ladakh in the Himalayas.
Please note when you book a taxi by directly calling these local taxi drivers in Leh Ladakh listed below, not only you get a discount, but you also help these locals earn direct cash. It helps them in their livelihood compared to mediators who keep the credit of their money for the whole season and sometimes flee away with their income after the season. I am glad that with your support, this website has helped 1000s of local get what they deserve 🙂
Here is the rate card for Leh Ladakh taxis in the 2020 – 2021 season.
Rate List of Tempo Traveler 2020-21
Given below is the 2019 rate card of Tempo Travelers / Maxi Cab, which is suited for a group of 6 or more people. There is no rate hike in the tempo travelers rate as well. The taxi union has asked to follow the same old 2019 taxi card rate for this 2020 season.
In general, the rates of the tempo traveler are about 25-30% higher than the rates of regular taxis. Hence, they always are cheaper as compared to hiring two taxis for a larger group. However, you do compromise the speed and comfort in tempo traveler as compared to a
Illegal Private Car Taxis Not Allowed
You should note that using white number plate cars as taxis or private cars as taxis in Ladakh is not allowed by ARTO Leh. Such vehicles might be checked, and hence, you must avoid renting such cars for taxi purposes in Leh. You can take your private car with you for sightseeing in Ladakh. Such private vehicles are not banned and do not have any issues.
Some Good Taxi Drivers in Leh – Ladakh
The following are the contacts of some very reliable taxi drivers within Leh – Ladakh. You can get about 12-15% of discount by directly getting in touch with these local drivers and of course, talking in person rather on the phone always help in bargaining more. If you involve any travel agent, there is a likelihood of giving away these direct discounts given by the local drivers when you connect with them directly 🙂
- Rigzin – 09622954779 & 09469472772: We know each other personally for the last 11 years now and being more of a family friend to me now. He has a couple of Aria and a Scorpio but mostly remain booked for the season 🙂 :)… In case due to overload, if he is not available, he might help arrange some alternative. The best person to get hold off in entire Ladakh, I will say. So, in case available, don’t miss the opportunity as traveling with this jovial, entertaining soul in remote corners of Ladakh is an experience in itself. He makes you feel laughing on the floor by all his storytelling…
- Sonam Angdus – 09469272773: More like Rigzin and Chamba, Sonam Ji has been associated with Devil On Wheels for a long time and have been to all our mega meets alongside Rigzin. He knows DoW and me very well and always happy to support all the members of Devil On wheels by any means he can. He is an ex-serviceman, one of the best persons you will come across in Ladakh, and his company will keep you soothing & safe. He never gets frustrated with many stops, always smiling and helpful. He runs a Xylo and is a very, very safe companion. In case you get his availability, don’t feel hesitant to book him for the tour.
- Chamba – 09906999808 & 09716507246: Chamba is a fabulous guy, know me personally very well along with Devil On Wheels for the last five years now. A very nice and humble person, tried by hundreds of readers along with Rigzin above with 100% positive feedback 🙂 🙂 …
- Karma Sonam – 09419215110 & 09906991011: His email id is [email protected] He speaks in English and Hindi nicely. Detailed Reviews in the forum thread.
- Rigzin Stakna – 09622951113 & 09419349082: Excellent human being with a great sense of humor and comic timing along with great driving skills. He is an excellent human being, very down to earth, and very lively! He is an excellent driver and knows in/out of every route. He is very punctual; he will arrive 10-15 minutes before the agreed time. Detailed Reviews in the forum thread.
- Rinchen – 09419819521 & 09622954831: Rinchen is a hassle-free driver and has a friendly demeanor. He knows a lot about Leh’s culture and keeps you engaged as well. Detailed Reviews in the forum thread.
- Sonam – 09419347945: As per reader feedback, “He has a guest house ready at the Gompa village–named ‘Apna Ghar.’ I am sure that would turn out to be one of the great places to stay in Ladakh, away from the market’s hustle-bustle. Please find the details below. This guy needs a recommendation at your site. That’s the minimum I could do for the hospitality he and his family showered. He can provide a stay as well as a taxi for the tours in Ladakh. He Owns a black Innova”.
- Abbas (not same as above) – 09622971759, 09469271786
- Abbas – 09622998367
- Dorjay Anbchuk – 09419308051
- Dorjey – 09419372742, 09622969317
- Manzoor – 09622973951 | Very nice person, recommended by readers below as well
- Naseer – 09906229203 and 09469293183
- Sonam – 09419371012
- Tashi – 09469630613, 09906994647, 09419342238
- Tsewang (not same as above) – 09419853528
- Tsewang – 09622993372
For a more updated & comprehensive list of taxi drivers for Ladakh – Srinagar – Leh – Manali routes, check the link: Updated List of Taxi Drivers for Ladakh – Srinagar – Leh – Manali
Where to get a self-drive car in Leh – Ladakh?
I am not aware of any company that provides cars for self-drive in Leh – Ladakh. No such self-drive car rentals exist in Manali / Himachal or Srinagar / Kashmir as well. So, the only option is to hire a local Ladakh taxi and request the driver to self-drive it on some sections of the tour 🙂 …
Otherwise, you can rent a self-drive car from Delhi or Chandigarh and travel
Can I take a self-drive car to Ladakh?
Unfortunately, you can only use the self-drive rented cars with black number plate and yellow number plate, just to enter Leh and exit Leh from Srinagar – Leh Highway or Manali – Leh Highway. However, you cannot use them for any kind of sightseeing within Leh – Ladakh to places like Nubra Valley, Tso Moriri, and Pangong Tso. For sightseeing within Ladakh, you will need to hire a Ladakh based taxi.
Pro Tip: If you are doing a self-drive trip to Leh – Ladakh, then make sure to read my article on 40 Must-Have Things to Carry on a Self Drive Trip to the Himalayas
Are taxis rented outside Leh – Ladakh allowed?
Self-drive rented cars and taxis outside Ladakh are not allowed to do any sightseeing within Leh – Ladakh. You can use them for getting to Leh and getting out from Leh but not for any kind of sightseeing within Leh – Ladakh.
So, the self-drive cars you are taking must have a private number plate, mostly should be under your name, your wife’s name or your father’s name otherwise you will have to again hire a taxi within Ladakh and double pay for your local taxi without using it. You can also read: Rented Self Drive Cars in Leh – Ladakh Banned “FORCIBLY”.
Are there any affordable taxis in Leh – Ladakh for solo travelers or couples?
You are alone/couple and private taxis are very costly in Leh but you will be able to find the shared taxi without much fuss at all. There are lots of flyers that people put at cafes, dine-ins, restaurants, travel agent desks/shops/whiteboards wanting to share the taxis for different trips within Ladakh.
Even travel agents organize such a shared taxis trip as well but charge a little higher about Rs 200-300 more than it would ideally cost. So, in the worst case, you can always go back to them and book a seat for yourself.
Gelling up with people in Ladakh is more or less easy because many people travel solo and look forward to meeting new people and share cultural thoughts and values over the trip. Nowhere else in the world you will find more smiling and helpful people as Ladakhis are 🙂
Online Travel Partners for Leh Ladakh Trip
It will be much better than you check the DoW Travel Calendar from the link in the Main Menu of the website. There had been about 800+ entries of the people planning their trips in the last few seasons, which helped them have better visibility for finding out travel partners online.
You can filter entries based on the preferences you have and increase the chances of visibility. Hence, kindly explore DoW Travel Calendar and also post your entry too. I will help you find other fellow travelers looking for a company and increase the probability of finding your post by others too.
I understand that the costs of a taxi in Leh – Ladakh are pretty high but considering the region, wear and tear, maintenance, the difficulty in driving and a short tourist season, you start feeling them justified. Always remember that you can count on most of these drivers to get you good accommodation in Ladakh, too, even in case you have not booked it.
Have a travel question?? You can follow me on Instagram and ask your travel questions in a direct message on Instagram too. I also conduct a weekly Q&A session every Saturday evening on Instagram, so see you there.
Most of them are not those kinds of commission agents that will take you to the hotel of their interest only. So, you can mostly count on them to stay options too in case you have not done the pre-bookings. They can genuinely help you as well as locals of the region who may provide you authentic Ladakhi stays. I hope the above information will be useful for your upcoming trip to Leh – Ladakh.
If you know your friends or family are planning a trip to Ladakh, do share this article with them to help them make a memorable Ladakh trip.
In the end, if you have been to Leh – Ladakh before, kindly share your thoughts and self-drive information you might feel is worth sharing with other fellow travelers and help them.