Zanskar Leh Manali Trip

• SunilDhir on #25327

Hi Dheeraj,

I am planning a 16 day round trip from Delhi to Delhi, covering Zanskar, Leh and Manali. My idea for itinerary is :

Day 1: Delhi – Ludhiana

Day 2: Ludhiana – Jammu

Day 3: Jammu – Srinagar (via Rajouri)

Day 4: Srinagar – Kargil

Day 5: Kargil – Padum

Day 6: Padum

Day 7: Padum

Day 8: Padum – Rangdum

Day 9: Rangdum – Kargil

Day 10: Kargil – Leh

Day 11: Leh

Day 12: Leh

Day 13: Leh – Jispa

Day 14: Jispa – Manali

Day 15: Manali – Ludhiana

Day 16: Ludhiana – Delhi.

I want the trip to be a leisurely drive. Would be travelling in a car with my family. I can alter my days in Padum or Leh if I could cover something which you can suggest.

I have already done Khardungla – Nubra, Agham – Shyok, Pangong – Chushul – Hanle, Tso Moriri – Leh last time.

Any other route, which I could possibly look up to this time. Inputs are required. :)

Thanks,

Sunil Dhir

Topics: 0
    Replies: 2372
    Vinod Raman on #62989

Sunil, your itinerary looks ok. I assume you will be doing a self drive.

Day 5 – Kargil to Padum is going to be a long day on a bumpy / no road. Therefore, kindly reconsider it. You could break it in Rangdum, but if you feel that Rangdm is too short, then you can camp near Pensi La [only if you and your travel partners are adventurous, and if you have facilities to cook your own maggi :D :D]

Else, you can also consider on Day 4, instead of Srinagar to Kargil, you can stretch it to a place called Purthikchey [not much options for stay except JK rest house], from where you can get the best views of Nun-Kun peaks. next day, it will reduce your journey by about 1.5 hrs

Or, you can try to get into Suru valley from Drass through the lesser known UmbaLa pass (bypassing Kargil), like someone did it in last year :D

As to Ladakh, you’ve seen pretty much everything. Head to Turtuk if you havent been there earlier. Or else, from Chusul, try the Kaksang La route to get to Mahe, onwards then to Tso moriri and to Manali highway. Apart from this, I dont have any suggestions since you’ve already seen much of Ladakh

Participant
    Replies: 8
    SunilDhir on #62985

Thanks Vinod..Really helpful.

I tried checking info about Umbala pass, but I am not able to get much info about it. Could you help me in getting in touch with the person who has done it. As of now, the information is about it is listed as a Trek route, so just wanted to check if it is motorable or not.

I’ll keep the maggi’s and tents packed for the Kargil-Padum road :D , just in case the route feels too long.

Kaksang La is definitely something I can try. I remember last time, when I tried to do that route, it was suddenly closed by the army and I had to take the long route via Nyoma, but can definitely try it this time around.

Thanks brother.

Vinod Raman on #62984

:) His name is [tag]SaurabhSabikhi[/tag].. You can search on FB or insta and get in touch with him.. He did in a car, so it sure is motorable :D :D

Extract from his FB post:

Quote:

The Story of UmbaLa.

While fixing the burst tyre at Sankoo, the puncture guy asked me why I did not get it fixed at Kargil. On casually telling him that I didn’t go to Kargil, but took the UmbaLa route to Sankoo, he stopped his work, and looked at me in utter disbelief. It startled me for a moment. He left the tyre, called out a guy working in the Timber shop on the opposite side of the road, and shouted, “Ye UmbaLa se aaye hain! (He has come via UmbaLa).”

4 men walked to me, and questioned me, “Aap UmbaLa se aaye hain? (Have you come via UmbaLa).”

I nodded. They looked at me in surprise.

While I was still wondering what’s happening, one of the boys stopped a truck and told him, “Ye UmbaLa se aaye hain (He has come via UmbaLa) .” The truck driver looked at me I surprise and drove away.

Before the tyre got fixed, a few others came to me and asked, “Aap UmbaLa se aaye hain?”

Seemed like no one could actually believe that someone could come from there.

After the tyre got fixed, I wanted to give the car for a wash. I halted at a shop to ask about the car wash centre. Instead of telling me the way, he offered to take me there. As soon as he sat in the car, he asked me, “Aap hi hain jo UmbaLa se aaye hain? (You’re the same guy who came via UmbaLa?)”

The news seemed to have travelled across the length and breadth of Sankoo.

While giving the car for the wash, even the workers there surprisingly asked me, “Aap UmbaLa se aaye hain?”

And it didn’t end there.

While parking the car at the guest house, 3 men sitting there, helped me in parking the car and as soon as I stepped out, I was asked the same question again, “Aap UmbaLa se aaye hain?”

Followed by the same questions asked by everyone else about the road status, time taken etc. Etc.

They told me, how lucky I am to have visited that part as even the locals of Sankoo have not been there. The only thing they know about UmbaLa is that it’s a no man’s land, a place that has no roads, and a place they yearn to visit. Surprisingly, UmbaLa is less than 40 KMS from Sankoo. Google Maps show it to be just 12.6 KMS. Guess, need to go again to confirm.

And what’s more surprising is the presence of another pass before UmbaLa that people do not know about. A pass that still doesn’t have a name. A pass that warmly welcomed us with a snowfall, that too in the month of September.

Quote:

So, instead if taking the usual Drass, Kargil, Sankoo, onwards to Zanskar route, we skipped Kargil by taking Drass, UmbaLa, Sankoo route.

To start with, had to ask a lot of people about UmbaLa, as it is not really known.

Finally found the way to UmbaLa and started driving on that. The entire stretch is a no man’s land, for except a few houses that come right after one takes a right turn after Drass.

Driving through the stretch, we longed for tea. And were blessed by the presence of a contractor based out of Chamba, Himachal Pradesh, who was digging 4G cables for the army near UmbaLa. The only person (plus 2 workers) we saw on that stretch.

Without any hesitation I asked if we could get tea, and he took no time in preparing that for us. As soon as tea was over, we witnessed a snowfall, in the month of September. It was magical as it was a first for a couple of people in our group.

Keymaster
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 9232
    Dheeraj Sharma on #62982

Vinod bhai has shared all the details Vikrant, feel free to post any further

Participant
    SunilDhir on #62983

Thanks Vinod.

I have added Umba La in my plans.. :D

Some more information if you could help with please. Can I get info on places to stay in Dras, Sankoo and Rangdum.

Thanks again.

Sunil Dhir

Anonymous on #62988

Hi Sunil ji,

When are you planning to do this trip?

My itinerary is somewhat similar planned for end May 2018. I will be solo on a motorbike.

Will be nice to have some company.

Regards

Apoorva

1 user thanked author for this post.

Vinod Raman on #62986

SunilDhir wrote:

Thanks Vinod.

I have added Umba La in my plans.. :D

Some more information if you could help with please. Can I get info on places to stay in Dras, Sankoo and Rangdum.

Thanks again.

Sunil Dhir

In Drass there is only one main road, you should get accommodation somewhere there. most people prefer to stay in Kargil. No contacts though.

in Sankoo, not sure. In Panikhar though, which is 25 kms away, there is one private guest house (where foreigners usually stay) and one JK guest house.

caretaker of JK guest house is Basheer Wani (+91-94693-65469)

in Rangdum, again, there is one guest house facing the road and JK rest house is behind that. Both are usually empty. La Himalaya Guest house, T Dorje, Phone +9469735834.

Participant
    SunilDhir on #62987

Thanks Vinod,

That info would surely come in handy.

@Apoorva – I am planning this trip in July towards the last week. Unfortunately not possible before that due to the required leave approval from my office.

Would surely appreciate, if you could tag along.

kunal on #74823

Dear Members,

I want do Zanskar and Ladakh trip in September 2019. we are a group of 22 people and need your advice on below rough plan i have created

Day 1: Mumbai – Leh by flight

Day 2: Leh local site seeing and permits

Day 3: Leh to Turtuk

Day 4: Turtuk – Hunder

Day 5: Hunder – Pangong via Agham Shyok road

Day 6: Pangong – Tso moriri

Day 7: Tso Moriri – Hanle

Day 8: Hanle – Leh

Day 9: Leh – Kargil

Day 10: Kargil – Padum

Day 11: Padum

Day 12: Padum – Kargil

Day 13: Kargil – Sonmarg

Day 14: Sonmarg– Gulmarg -Srinagar

Day 15: Srinagar – Mumbai

Queries
    Is the above plan doable?
    We have 3 kids with us youngest being 3 yrs, any AMS dificulties?
    Is tempo traveler available on all the above routes we would need 2 vehicles?
    Is stay available for large group in all the above places mentioned?

Thanking in advance

Vinod Raman on #75250

Hi Kunal,

Your plan is definitely doable, but I see that the itinerary is fully packed and there are no rest days. Please include 1or2 spare days in your itinerary for any contingency.

Day 6,7 & 8, do it as:
    Pangong Tso – Chusual – Hanle
    Hanle (stop and take a small diversion to chumathang from Mahe bridge) – Tso moriri
    Tso moriri Leh via Tso – Kar, Debring, Tanglalng La

Taking young kids to such high altitude is always a risk. Do look out for symptoms of AMS in kids and descend if you face any problems.

You can take 2 Tempo travellers. would be available if you get in touch beforehand

accommodatoon for 22 people at same place would be very very difficult if it is on the spot. You may have to stay in multiple hotels/guesthouses in the place. Pre booking would help overcome this

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘Ladakh & Zanskar Valley’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Follow us on Instagram & Ask any travel questions in DM there

Send this to a friend