package tour or own customised tour for ladakh

• rashmimv3 on #21661

Hi,
    I am planning to visit wuth my husband ladakh around aug end or september. Can you please tell good time to visit ladakh.
    Either we plan to take a group package from a well known online travel company, where traveling to leh-delhi-leh would be from flights. Or we would like to go on our own from from srinagar, explore some places on srinagar-leh highway. Can you please highlight the pros n cons of both, including approximate the cost for the custmised package, including, travel, food, stay, permits, etc.
    In case the difference of customised package and group package is not much, we plan to go for customised one. Since, we want to explore places, like kargil, drass, etc.
    Please help.

Keymaster
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 9232
    Dheeraj Sharma on #28042

Rashmi, welcome to DoW-HTC !! :) :)

The time you are planning is fine time to travel Ladakh. It is always better to make or plan your trip to Ladakh on your own. The biggest advantage is that you do not follow the orders strictly, there is lot more flexibility, in case of any delays or road blocks your money remains intact with you and do not go for a toss. Above all with all the information now present on DoW Blog and Forum, it is failry easy to plan your journey in apt way so that you have it memorable enough and above all save good amount of money too along with maximum flexibility.

Better go with self organized tour!!

Topics: 0
    Replies: 2942
    aashish2137 on #28043

Can you please highlight the pros n cons of both, including approximate the cost for the customised package, including, travel, food, stay, permits, etc.

Pros – Self planned: customized itinerary, choice of accommodation, sure of the quality.
    Cons – need to invest some time.

Pros – Organized tour: peace of mind
    Cons – expensive, restrictive, no idea of what’s coming ahead.

approximate cost: depends on the number of days, places you would like to visit. At DoW, we don’t promote organized tours as we believe that the monetary benefits should be passed on to the locals of the region and not corporate hounds. If you wish to compare costs, you will have to tell us the best deal you are getting.

I hope it helps.

Participant
    Replies: 4
    rashmimv3 on #28044

Thanks Dheeraj, thanks Aashish,
    First of all I would say that the this forum is really helpful and v v informative, esp for travellers like us who have no idea how to go about and plan a tour to places like, ladakh. Wow. I happened to come across this site by chance yesterday and since then glued to it. It’s amazing to know that you reply to each and every query and your suggestions are really genuine n valuable.
    As suggested by you and going through some blogs, I will not be going for a customised package.

Please suggest, if we go by flight to leh from delhi, and return via leh-srinagar route, return flight to delhi from srinagar. Return flights from leh are working out to be more if we plan the jouney in august. Initially, we wanted to travel from srinagar to leh, by road and flight from leh to delhi.

Or, should we travel sringar -leh-sringar by road, will that be hectic. Please suggest, if shared cabs or bus will be a good option to travel to leh from srinagar, and we need to be booked in advance. One way, we plan to halt at kargil. Private cabs are too expensive for us.
    Is september end, or october a good time to plan this, since being a peak season in august, we want to avoid rush.

Once, I book flights, I shall proceed to book a decent place to stay.

Thanks once again.
    Rashmi

aashish2137 on #28045

Rashmi, I’m glad you notice the work. However the vision of this forum much larger than just devising itineraries. There’s a change we are working towards. I’d recommend you take a moment and go through our vision :)

Back to the topic, its really hard to comment on your plan unless we know how many days do you have on hand.
    Yes, August will definitely will the busiest this year, partly to the fact that there are multiple holidays. September is definitely better than October.

Generally, we suggest people to do Srinagar – Leh by road as it helps acclimatize better. From Leh, you can take a flight to Delhi, or drive to Srinagar or Manali. The costs I believe should be the same more or less, since Leh – Delhi would somewhere about 12,000 as much as the taxi costs broadly.

To minimize costs, you can find travel partners through the forum or in Leh itself for the entire or parts of journey to share costs. The major costs in Ladakh are taxi costs itself and 4 people splitting the same makes a lot of sense.

Participant
    rashmimv3 on #28046

Hi Dheeraj,
    Thanks for a quick response.
    We have ample time to visit and cover all major places in ladakh and srinagar. Time is not a constraint for us.
    However, we do not want to exceed beyond 50k in total.

Thanks and regards,
    Rashmi

Keymaster
    Dheeraj Sharma on #28047

Sorry Rashmi, but Aashish replied to your query, not me!! So, thanks to him for apt reply :)

Are you considering 25K per person? or 50K per person? This includes your expenses of return tickets?

Participant
    rashmimv3 on #28048

Oh apologies, I didn’t realise Aashish, thanks Ashish.
    25k person, offcourse with some flexibility. But, not exceeding 30k per person.
    Is that possible to explore the place with this kind of budget.

aashish2137 on #28049

@rashmimv3 wrote:

Oh apologies, I didn’t realise Aashish, thanks Ashish.
    25k person, offcourse with some flexibility. But, not exceeding 30k per person.
    Is that possible to explore the place with this kind of budget.

That is perfectly fine, you can thank DoW to avoid the confusion ;)

Since time is not a limitation, you can easily find like minded people and follow their itinerary. Since you are a couple, probably you can get in touch with another couple who is looking to share costs.

30k is a comfortable budget, more so if you drop out the flight and do Srinagar – Ladakh – Srinagar/ Manali and travel to and fro Delhi in buses. Trains don’t reach either of Manali or Srinagar.

Participant
    Replies: 52
    spider on #28050

my reply might not get into the wave of above mentioned, but would like to share my experience till today. shall update post my visit incase of major difference.

we are a group of four corporate “workers” wants to visit leh within a short time span of 5 days. 3 of us directly flying to leh and one shall be joining us via Srinagar-kargil.

Own Arrangement
    GoAir G8-193 @ 5573 / pax
    Almost confirmed 4 days of GH/BB @ 1600×2 MAP = 3200 = 800/pax [this might get reduced as one of my friend looking after a HS @ 400/pax]
    Leh – Nubra – Leh = 7200 = 1800/pax – car only [innova, safari/xylo will reduce 500]
    GH in hunder MAP = 1400×2 = 2400 = 600/pax
    Leh pangong Leh = 8100 = 2025/pax [innova, safari/xylo will reduce 500-700]
    water camp MAP = 5700 = 1425/pax
    local visit = 2000 = 500/pax
    Leh manali = 17000 = 4250/pax
    Total = 16973/pax

Itemized Itinerary
    Camps of Ladakh @ 21400 / pax [for group of four]
    Leh manali 17000/4 = 4250/pax
    Total = 31223 / pax

Clearly shows itemized arrangement is costing almost double.

but for that, we dedicated a lot of time to surfing and divided our responsibilities accordingly. pl note, above expense forecast exclusive of Leh Manali fooding/lodging and Manali Delhi cost.

Keymaster
    Dheeraj Sharma on #28051

Fabulous!!! This is why we always encourage at DoW to go with self organized tour. Along with savings you get so much flexibility too !! Thanks for sharing this with everyone… And our community does have lot of info. to plan a successful trip to Ladakh or Spiti or Kinnaur without running here and there between various websites!! Self Boasting 👿

Participant
    Replies: 5
    sandy5566 on #28052

just came back today from Leh … starting from 10 Aug to 23 Aug Srinagar to delhi and back to mumbai
    total cost around 38k tour( TOUR PLUS AIRFARE AND VOLVO tickets for 6 ppl customized with the help of dheeraj here in DoW and Gaurav of OFFBEAT ESCAPES

Day 1 (10.08.2013): Reach Srinagar
    Visit: Dal Lake in the evening and may be go for a Shikara ride
    Stay @ Srinagar at 5,200 ft
    Meal Plan: E.P – No Meals

Day 2 (11.08.2013): Srinagar – Sonamarg – Zojila Pass – Drass – Kargil
    Visit: Great vistas of Drass Valley with views of Tiger Hill,
    Kargil War Memorial
    Max. Altitude: Zojila Pass at 11,575 ft
    Approx Distance: 205 kms odd
    Travel time: 7 – 8 hrs odd
    Suggested lunch point: Drass
    Stay @ Kargil at 8,780 ft

Day 3 (12.08.2013): Kargil – Lamayuru – Leh
    Visit: Rock Carved Mulbekh Maitrey,
    Lamayuru Monastery,
    Lunar Landscapes
    Max. Altitude: Fotu La Pass at 13,478 ft
    Approx Distance: 225 kms
    Travel time: 7 – 8 hrs odd
    Suggested lunch point: Lamayuru
    Stay @ Leh at 11,562 ft

Day 4 (13.08.2013): Leh
    Visit: Leh Main Market,
    Leh Palace
    Stay @ Leh at 11,562 ft

Day 5 (14.08.2013): Leh – Khardung La – Diskit
    Visit: Khardung la , highest motorable road (as claimed),
    Diskit Monastery, which has 106 Feet tall Buddha statue,
    Go for Camel Safari over Hunder Sand Dunes in the evening
    Max. Altitude: Khardung La Pass at 17,582 ft (much acceptable) and 18,379 ft is claimed
    Approx Distance: 142 kms
    Travel time: 5 – 6 hrs odd
    Suggested lunch point: Khardung Village
    Stay @ Deskit at 10,315 ft
    Meal Plan: C.P – Only Breakfast

Day 6 (15.08.2013): Diskit – Sumur – Panamik – Sumur – Khardung La – Leh
    Visit: Hot water springs @ Panamik
    Max. Altitude: Khardung La Pass at 17,582 ft (much acceptable) and 18,379 ft is claimed
    Approx Distance: 186 kms
    Travel time: 8 – 9 hrs odd
    Suggested lunch point: Khardung Village
    Stay @ Leh at 11,562 ft
    Meal Plan: E.P – No meals

Day 7 (16.08.2013): Leh – Hemis Monastery – Chang La Pass – Pangong Tso Lake
    Visit: Hemis Monastery,
    Pangong Tso: One of the largest salt water lakes in the world which is 1/3rd in India and rest in Tibet
    Max. Altitude: Chang La Pass at 17,585 ft
    Approx Distance: 170 kms
    Suggested lunch point: Packaged Lunch
    Stay @ Pangong Tso at 14,270 ft
    Meal Plan: M.A.P – Breakfast + (Lunch OR Dinner)

Day 8 (17.08.2013): Pangong Tso Lake – Thicksey Monastery – Shey Palace – Leh
    Visit: Shey Palace,Thicksey Monastery, Pangong Tso: One of the largest salt water lakes in the world which is 1/3rd in India and rest in Tibet
    Max. Altitude: Chang La Pass at 17,585 ft
    Approx Distance: 170 kms
    Suggested lunch point: Packaged Lunch
    Stay @ Leh at 11,562 ft

Day 9 (18.08.2013): Leh Rest Day
    Visit: Shanti Stupa in the evening,
    Local Shopping in Leh Main Market
    Stay @ Leh at 11,562 ft

Day 10 (19.08.2013): Leh – Tso Moriri via Chumathang
    Visit: Kiagar Tso, a small lake on the way to Tso Moriri,
    Tso Moriri , high altitude salt water lake changes colors many times a day
    Approx Distance: 240 kms
    Travel time: 8 – 9 hrs odd
    Suggested lunch point: Chumathang
    Stay @ Tso Moriri at 15,075 ft

Day 11 (20.08.2013): Tso Moriri – Tso Kar – Moore Plains – Sarchu
    Visit (en route): Tso Kar,Moore Plains,Pang,
    Lachulung la @ 16616 ft,
    Nakee la @ 15547 ft,
    Gata Loops
    Max. Altitude: Lachulung la @ 16616 ft
    Approx Distance: 293 kms
    Travel time: 11 – 12 hrs odd
    Suggested lunch point: Pang
    Stay @ Sarchu at 14,157 ft

Day 12 (21.08.2013): Sarchu – Manali
    Visit (en route): Baralacha la @ 16,500 ft,
    Suraj Tal,
    Deepak Tal,
    Rohtang Pass @ 13,054 ft
    Max. Altitude: Baralacha la @ 16,500 ft
    Approx Distance: 251 kms
    Travel time: 9 – 10 hrs odd
    Stay @ Manali at 6,730 ft

Day 13 (22.08.2013): Manali – Delhi by Volvo in evening
    Visit: In the morning you can visit Hadimba Temple,
    Manu Temple,
    Local Monastery,

Admin Note: Direct links not allowed apart from Hotel Review & Guest Houses Sections with little reviews of the hotels. Else, one can share the details using Private Messaging feature of the forum

Keymaster
    Dheeraj Sharma on #28053

Sandeep, welcome to DoW-HTC !! :) :)

Glad to know you are back, How was the experience of the trip? If possible, try and share your Himalayan experience with us in the Community as a Photo Tale or Travel Tale Or your reviews of the property where you stayed or dhabhas/restaurants you ate food on your trip…

Participant
    Replies: 52
    spider on #28054

@spider wrote:

my reply might not get into the wave of above mentioned, but would like to share my experience till today. shall update post my visit incase of major difference.

we are a group of four corporate “workers” wants to visit leh within a short time span of 5 days. 3 of us directly flying to leh and one shall be joining us via Srinagar-kargil.

Own Arrangement
    Almost confirmed 4 days of GH/BB @ 1600×2 MAP = 3200 = 800/pax [this might get reduced as one of my friend looking after a HS @ 400/pax]
    Leh – Nubra – Leh = 7200 = 1800/pax – car only [innova, safari/xylo will reduce 500]
    GH in hunder MAP = 1400×2 = 2400 = 600/pax
    Leh pangong Leh = 8100 = 2025/pax [innova, safari/xylo will reduce 500-700]
    water camp MAP = 5700 = 1425/pax
    local visit = 2000 = 500/pax
    Leh manali = 17000 = 4250/pax
    Total = 16973/pax

Itemized Itinerary
    Camps of Ladakh @ 21400 / pax [for group of four]
    Leh manali 17000/4 = 4250/pax
    Total = 31223 / pax

Clearly shows itemized arrangement is costing almost double.

but for that, we dedicated a lot of time to surfing and divided our responsibilities accordingly. pl note, above expense forecast exclusive of Leh Manali fooding/lodging and Manali Delhi cost.

update to above mentioned forecast, this includes Leh manali delhi and food expenses.

4 days in Leh @ 700 = (700 x 2) x 4 / 4 = 1400 / pax
    Sham Valley, Nubra, Pangong = 17000 / 4 = 4250
    Nubra Habib GH = 1900 / 4 = 475/ pax
    water camp MAP = 5500 = 1375/ pax
    Leh manali = 12000 = 3000 / pax
    Manali Stay = 1000 x 2 / 4 = 500 / pax
    Manali Delhi = 1200 / pax
    Food approx 1500 / pax
    Total = 19,271/-

aashish2137 on #28055

Whoa.. That’s almost 10k lesser than what you budgeted.. Amazing!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • The topic ‘package tour or own customised tour for ladakh’ is closed to new replies.
Follow us on Instagram & Ask any travel questions in DM there

Send this to a friend