Manali – Leh Highway Status 2018 – 2019

Topics: 0
    Replies: 2372
    Vinod Raman on #73102

What are the chances of the Manali to Leh

road being open from 20th of November 2018 ??

Siva, the roads have already closed for the season. Even otherwise, never attempt this stretch after end september because it is always touch and go. Snowfall could cause the roads to close anytime and you could be stuck for the season till the roads reopen (unless you decide to leave behind your vehicle and flyout of Leh)

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Sada on #75629

Hi

We are totally 7 travelers planning a trip to Leh. We are flying from Chennai on 2nd Feb in the morning. We might start the same day to Manali, after a overnight stay at Manali, the next day we are planning to start to Leh. I would like to know how the roads are currently, is there any block after Manali. Please let us know, if Flight is the only option to reach Leh.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Nilavra Ghosh on #92093

Hi Dheeraj ,
    In 2017 end of September I had a great trip to Spiti, in June 2018 I have visited solo to Ladakh. It was another gem of a trip indeed. My itinerary was below –

Day 1 : Delhi to Manali overnight bus. Reach manali next day.

Day 2: Get down at Manali from the bus and then take another bus to Keylong. Weather was very good. Stuck couple of hours in traffic jam before Rohtang. Reached Keylong at 4 PM.
    Day 3 : Keylong to Leh by HRTC bus. Start at 4 AM and reach Leh at 7:30 PM. Still daylight at Leh. Weather was great.

Day 4 : Local sightseeing at Leh. visited almost all places possible including Stok, Matho, Stakna, Spituk, sindhu ghat, Shey, Thicksey and so many others starting at 8 AM and finishing off at 5 PM. Just couldn’t cover Hemis.

Day 5: Went to Hundar.

Day 6 : Visit Turtuk and stay at Hundar. Went to Turtuk monastery up hill. Great scenary from there.In fact we went beyond Tyakshi up to 15 km from Turtuk. Last point Indians are allowed.

Day 7 : Hundar to Agham to Sakthi (probablyu it was Sakthi not remembering correctly) via Wari la. The road via Wai la is in very good condition. New road is built and in fact it is better than the Khardung la road except couple of stretches 100m each. Stunning scenaery from Wari la top. Maja aa gaya…I would recommend this route to anybody. No hazard at all. Sakthi to Tangtse and then retraced the path to stay at Sayak village. My driver recommended to stay at Sayak and it is an excellent place to stay.Had a very basic homestay accom.

Day 8 : Sayak to Agham and back to Sayak again. Completed the circle. Had lunch. I wanted to witness both the routes via Wari la and Sayak. So had this plan on Day 7 & 8. Mind blowing scenary on both the routes.Proceed to Pangong with some great weather. Privileged to see deep blue pangong. Stay at Merak. This is one of the best stay of my life. I won’t forget the setup of the homestay just beside the shore of Pangong. Had a trek of couple of km one way to the the observatory tower. Absolutely gorgeous beauty.

Day 9 : Merak to Hanle via chusul, Tsaga la route. Spent couple of hours at Hanle. Again great beauty. Then back to Nyoma and night stay there.

Day 10 : Nyoma to Tso Moriri.

Day 11: Tso moriri to Tso Kar back to Leh via Chumathang. Long day it was. On the way back to Leh visited Hemis monastery.

Day 12: Visit magnetic hill, Pathar sahib, Alchi, Likir, Basgo, Sindhu Sangam went up to Lamayuru.
    Day 13: Back to Leh
    Day 14: Leh to Keylong bus HRTC.
    Day 15 : Big landslide happened between Khoksar and Gramphu. Stuck for the day at Keylong. But it was good for me as I got chance to roam around Keylong including the monastery. Went up to Jispa in a private car and spent an hour beside the river and back to Keylong in the evening. Thanks to the landslide.

Day 16: Back to Manali. Outstanding weather and view enroute. Catch overnight bus for Delhi.

So it was an excellent trip.

Now I am eyeing for Zanskar valley in coming October. I know June to Sept is good but I want to see autumn colour and I have office work till September. I am planning to start from Srinagar on October 9 and complete Padum back to Kargil by October 15. I know it may snow anytime in October. In Manali Leh highway even if there is snowfall, BRO clears road in a day or two to keep it open at least til October end, what about Zanskar valley ? just in case the road is blocked due to snow, does BRO give support in October middle ? How long do they provide support to get the Kargil Padum route open ? Please let me know this information.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Nilavra Ghosh on #94574

Hi Dheeraj ,
    Any update on this ?

3 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 4 posts - 46 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • The forum ‘Road Status & Conditions’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Follow us on Instagram & Ask any travel questions in DM there

Send this to a friend