Manali – Kunzum Pass – Spiti Valley Road Status

Topics: 0
    Replies: 2942
    aashish2137 on #26213

@sundar30 wrote:

any latest update on the road condition at both direction. is it bikeable?

The recent cloud burst did some damage to the roads near Karcham, Sangla, Pooh, etc. You can start from Manali, cross Kunzum, maybe drop in to say hello to Chandratal and come back! :)

Keymaster
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 9232
    Dheeraj Sharma on #26215

Aashish, brother it is indeed a severe damage that occurred in Kinnaur. Almost the whole of Tapri town is washed away!! As compared to UK though not comparable but Kinnaur will also take time to recover. Do not expect roads to open this season at least from Kinnaur Side.

Manali – Kaza road as well though open but in bad shape too, rather it is always one of the most treacherous roads I have traversed and yet very beautiful with massive views of Bada Srigri Glaciers just running aside :D

aashish2137 on #26216

@dheerajsharma14 wrote:

Aashish, brother it is indeed a severe damage that occurred in Kinnaur. Almost the whole of Tapri town is washed away!! As compared to UK though not comparable but Kinnaur will also take time to recover. Do not expect roads to open this season at least from Kinnaur Side.

Manali – Kaza road as well though open but in bad shape too, rather it is always one of the most treacherous roads I have traversed and yet very beautiful with massive views of Bada Srigri Glaciers just running aside :D

Don’t discount BRO and their prowess :)
    They will restore the connectivity soon, though maybe for SUVs only.
    This is one part of Himalayas I have not been to but there are plans. Let’s see :)
    Been done Rohtang and Kinnaur, Spiti is the focus ;)

Keymaster
    Dheeraj Sharma on #26217

Actually, what I fear is that even if they will restore the roads, which eventually they will. However, soon the monsoons will hit the region and Kinnaur is too worse when it rains and on the contrary if you make in and out of it, it is almost a heavenly places when it rains in terms of beauty around :D

1 user thanked author for this post.

aashish2137 on #26218

@dheerajsharma14 wrote:

Actually, what I fear is that even if they will restore the roads, which eventually they will. However, soon the monsoons will hit the region and Kinnaur is too worse when it rains and on the contrary if you make in and out of it, it is almost a heavenly places when it rains in terms of beauty around :D

200% true. Hope I will be able to report some from the region later this year ;)

Keymaster
    Dheeraj Sharma on #26214

There are reports that Bus service to Kaza from Manali-Kullu has been started.

Keymaster
    Dheeraj Sharma on #26219

As per the reports from Losar Village, there is a truck that has got stuck around Dorni Nalla near Chotta Dhara. Since, yesterday late afternoon, road was closed and no reports of opening it as of now. So, the road is temporarily closed.

Anonymous on #26220

The Road is open now………. in fact was opened, around noon yesterday.

Anonymous on #26221

what is the status as if now?
    please tell we are going on a cycling trip from 22 to 31 july
    and please guide about road condition for cycles from batal to kaza

Anonymous on #26222

Hi,

The road is open between Kaza/Losar & Grampoo/Manali.
    Batal to Losar – Untarred/Broken road ( Approx 27 kms) You will have a tough time, ascending to Kunzum
    Losar to Kaza – Tarred + Untarred road ( Approx 58 kms) Easy going….

Keymaster
    Dheeraj Sharma on #26223

Roads to Spiti Valley from Kinnaur has been reopened. Sangla Valley is still closed and might take few more weeks to get opened

Keymaster
    Dheeraj Sharma on #26224

Roads to Spiti Valley from Manali side are closed due to road blocks between Gramphu and Batal, expected to be opened soon.

Keymaster
    Dheeraj Sharma on #26225

Just got an update that road from Manali side to Spiti between Gramphu and Batal at Dorni Nala Landslide has been opened and the landslide has been cleared.

Participant
    Replies: 1
    bharathsrini on #26226

Guys I am doing a trip from 16th to 23 of oct, the whole Lahaul & spiti circuit.
    Would like to know the fresh status of Kunzum La, anyone who has been there recently???
    Anything to avoid. do’s n dont’s???

My itinerary:

16th Oct: Day-1-Delhi to Chandigarh, as we have no option but to start late from delhi by around 10.
    17th Oct: Day-2-Chandigarh to Manali and get permits for rohtang
    18th Oct: Day-3-Leave for Jispa, enroute visit Khaedang monastery, stay at Jispa
    19th Oct: Day-4-Jispa to barlacha la to sarchu to Gata loops and back to jispa for stay
    20th Oct: Day-5-Jispa-Kunzum La-Kaza Khas in Spiti. stay in Kaza. If we have time in our hand we visit the key monastery
    21st oct: Day-6- Visit Tabo monastery and reach poo or moorang, whichever can be reached (depends on road situation)
    or ever till Rampur
    22nd oct: day-7- Start very early and reach Delhi if in Rampur, but if moorang or Poo depends again on traffic and road condition to reach Delhi or anywhere before Delhi
    23rd oct: day-8-Reach Delhi if not yet reached

aashish2137 on #26227

Bharath, the itinerary is filled to brim, especially the last few days. You’re stretching it far too much. Let Gata Loops go and save time on that, there’s enough to do and see in Spiti itself. Also there are Ka-zigs which are like mini gata loops, you can have your salvation there.

About Kunzum, Dheeraj is just back from C’tal and he should be able to tell you more. But its been snowing on higher reaches for about 2 weeks now. If I were you, I’d keep my options open.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 233 total)
  • The topic ‘Manali – Kunzum Pass – Spiti Valley Road Status’ is closed to new replies.
Follow us on Instagram & Ask any travel questions in DM there

Send this to a friend