Delhi – Kinnaur – Spiti Valley | Road Conditions

• dheerajsharma14 on #21462

A lot of people visit Kinnaur and Spiti Valley throughout the year. So, under this thread let’s try to keep updates of latest road conditions on the entire route from Delhi to Shimla to Kinnaur to Spiti to Manali.

To start with let me share my latest updates on this route as I was there in the first week of May 2013 and given below is what I experienced:

• Delhi – Kalka By Pass – Shimla = Good + Excellent
    • Shimla – Theog – Narkanda = Good
    • Narkanda – Rampur – Jeori = Good
    • Jeori – Bhawanagar = Average
    • Bhawanagar – Tapri – Powari = Poor + Very Poor
    • Powari – Jangi = Very Poor + Poor
    • Jangi – Spillow = Good
    • Spillow – Dubling = Poor
    • Dubling – Khab diversion = Good + Very Poor
    • Khab diversion – Nako – Geyu diversion = Good + Excellent
    • Geyu Diversion – Tabo = Poor + Average + Good
    • Tabo – Attargoo = Poor + Average
    • Attargoo – Kaza = Good
    • Kaza = Good
    • Kaza – Losar = Good + Average
    • Losar – Takcha Ground – Kunzum Pass = Average
    • Hikkim – Komik – Langza = Poor + Average + Very Poor

Some of the very few pictures that I clicked from phone:

Delhi – Kinnaur – Spiti Valley Road Conditions

Anonymous on #25993

Hi,

We (me and husband) plan to take this trip from 22nd of June. Will a hatchback (i10) sustain these roads?? we plan to enter kinnaur from the Rampur side. Any other advise/suggestions are welcome.

Please suggest.

Thank you,
    Regards

Keymaster
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 9232
    Dheeraj Sharma on #25994

Pranita, may be you missed the other update on the thread. The whole Kinnaur region is under landslides, mud slides and some areas under flashfloods. Road conditions are horrendous over there and might not improve for week or so. Stay tuned for the updates here or in Manali – Kaza (Spiti Valley thread)

Keymaster
    Dheeraj Sharma on #25995

Roads in Kinnaur are in serious troublesome conditions with so many landslides all around. Roads near Tapri have been flooded and conditions are very very bad. Just got an update, that it will be difficult to get them restored for next 4-5 days at the very least. Not advisable to take Kinnaur route for next week or so.

Participant
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 8
    vpgupta on #25996

Dheeraj,
    My plan has Rakchum (Sangla) on 23rd & 24th. This needs Tapri crossing, 6 days from today.
    What should I do man :?:
    😥 😥 😥

Keymaster
    Dheeraj Sharma on #25997

Vipin, just keep an eye over it. Have you done with bookings? If yes, and if you can, then better cancel them stating that conditions aren’t that good and keep the plan open either from Manali side and stay tuned at the updates here :)

Keymaster
    Dheeraj Sharma on #25998

Vipin, just checked with locals up there. The conditions in Kinnaur is too too too bad. At least they expect roads to be through in about 5-6 days subject to being on optimistic side and clear weather in coming days. I feel you should drop the plan and either make it through Manali side or drop it all together. Even from Manali side there is a huge slide in between Chattru and Chota Dhara though that is expected to be cleared in couple of days.

Keymaster
    Dheeraj Sharma on #25999

Roads to Spiti Valley from Kinnaur has been reopened. Sangla Valley is still closed and might take few more weeks to get opened

Keymaster
    Dheeraj Sharma on #26000

Malling had fallen off a day back and roads have been closed to Spiti Valley from Kinnaur.

Replies: 2942
    aashish2137 on #26001

The roads are bad, from both sides. The rains have been disastrous this year.

Keymaster
    Dheeraj Sharma on #26002

Amit reports on DoW Blog at the link here and here as below:

Dear all,
    i just returned from this triip on last sunday. i could only advanced till Maling. I agree with condition of road but now it has worsen. Please do not plan any trip this year on this route at all. 16 bikes were sent back by riders on trucks/tempos as they could not continue further. i had to take a u turn from Maling as a big piece of road disappeared and ETA was 4-5 days. I reached Kumarsain from Nako in a day as i could not bear the roughness. Till Karcham things are still bearable but from their till dubling there is no road (except few small patches). I did not find Nako really worth making a stay. i had planned to reach Tabo that day but due to disconnection i had to stay back at Nako.

In himachal i found ppl very helpful and honest but not at Nako. they gave me wrong idea about the road and made me stay back for a day.

Hi Rikin,
    i spoke to BRO while on my way, there is no chance this year to get this repaired. during october it will be more difficult. i even spoke to ITBP and other Army personels, they were of opinion that Local Govt should issue advisory at check posts that atleast 2 wheelers should not take this route to Kaza or Leh. so its not doable at all.

I saw 11 land sliding one of which happened almost over my head. lucky to escape.. but beleive me even after all these issue i loved this trip and i am waiting for next year to re-do this and reach Kunzumla.

regards
    amit

Keymaster
    Dheeraj Sharma on #26003

As per the last status on DoW Blog here by Sumit,

Tbe hotel guy at kaza confirmed tht ppl are arriving frm kinnaur side …so i assume tht malling nullah has opened

Keymaster
    Dheeraj Sharma on #26004

Kinnaur – Spiti Valley Road Status Update 21 March 2014

Road to Kaza, Spiti Valley is closed at multiple places between Sumdo and Shichling… even there was a snow slide somewhere near Puh couple of days before… Heavy snow presence up there… We will head there tomorrow morning, will keep it updated

aashish2137 on #26005

An update from [tag:1grcj5vi]dheerajsharma14[/tag:1grcj5vi]:

There is a landslide near Powari right after the cut to Peo which has sunken half a km of road. As a result, only small vehicles are allowed to cross at the moment. That too over bad road conditions. Also note that crossing that stretch is now taking double the time it otherwise took.

Other than that, Kaza and beyond is completely snowed out and the temperature is bone freezing.

aashish2137 on #26006

[tag:78xw3no0]dheerajsharma14[/tag:78xw3no0] has updated that he is currently in Kaza and its snowing since yesterday. There is no mobile signal or electricity in the town (he used bank’s WiFi to update). Roads are in poor condition in Kinnaur as well as between Tabo and Kaza.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 199 total)
  • The topic ‘Delhi – Kinnaur – Spiti Valley | Road Conditions’ is closed to new replies.
Follow us on Instagram & Ask any travel questions in DM there

Send this to a friend