Binsar Eco Camp, Uttrakhand

• aashish2137 on #22959

During the long weekend around Independence day this August, I got to visit this wonderful property recommended by [tag:3en7tgq6]saurabhsabikhi[/tag:3en7tgq6].

Binsar Eco Camp is situated at Dhaula Chinna near Binsar in Uttrakhand. The 13 year old property is run by Ravi Mehra and his brother Gaurav, who are probably the best hosts I’ve ever come across. The long weekend rush ensured that every property in the region was overbooked; Ravi took his time to finalize my last minute booking but once through he had all made arrangements as promised.

We took the Delhi – Rampur – Haldwani – Bhowali – Almora route to reach the property on first day. The travel time should be 10-12 hours on a normal day. One can break the journey in Bhimtal or Mukteshwar for a relaxing drive. The road conditions are mostly good until Rampur; after Rampur you hit the urban traffic till Kathgodam. From thereon, you are in the lap of nature and post Bhowali, Kosi river gives you company till Almora or so. Beyond Almora the road is decent with occasional inverted bumps. Would like to mention here that the last 500 metres of the approach road to the resort is a 45 degree incline from the main road. The approach road is in terrible state with uneven rocks laid just to ensure that a vehicle can reach the resort. If you’re driving your own vehicle, this patch can be really scary. Preferably ask Ravi to come down and drive the vehicle for you.

The property has about 10 cottage style rooms with attached bathroom and running water (hot water is supplied in buckets). The rooms are clean and well maintained. There’s a central dining area, 2 big gardens, a bonfire corner and a big ramp for valley views. Ravi and Gaurav also take guided short tours for village walks and river bed trek. A little climb from the hotel also offers views of snow clad Kumaon range peaks.

The food is mostly on buffet basis which is decent. We paid INR 1,250 per person per day including accommodation and food.

One can also visit Jageshwar and Patal Bhuvneshwar temple as a day tour.

The high point for me was the laid back location of the resort with easy access to view points and Ravi’s hospitality (he sang during the bonfire and arranged a treasure hunt for kids). However, the approach road was a nightmare and due to the jungle locations, a lot of insects can be spotted around the accommodation.

You can contact the resort for more through their website: Binsar Eco Camp

Adding some pics:

Adding some more pics from my trip:

Participant
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 2532
    Yayawar on #41428

looks good, and cost effective too! Added to my list. :)

Thanks for the review Aashish.

Replies: 2372
    Vinod Raman on #41429

nice place :) And thanks Aashish for reviewing the property.

Keymaster
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 9232
    Dheeraj Sharma on #41430

Wow, very nice review Aashish !! Last picture is a steal… Looks nice, next stay will be here when I drive to Kumaon this winters.

Participant
    Replies: 65
    amtesh on #41431

last pic was awsome

Participant
    Replies: 739
    sany on #41432

Thats a thunderous arrival bro, Some defining pics. The property looks amazing, now i understand why you were the devil for your family, thanks to an extremely long drive.

Well one question, did you face any problem of Leech at the resort, considering the monsoon time?

Replies: 2942
    aashish2137 on #41433

Thanks guys :D

[tag:2ueslu55]sany[/tag:2ueslu55], somewhat. I even mentioned it in the last paragraph. There were a couple of snails in our washroom the following morning and loads of flies after dark. I didn’t spot any in the room though. But I believe this is a compromise that comes as a part of the jungle location.

Participant
    Replies: 739
    sany on #41434

Ah, my only concern of asking this was as leeches lurch during monsoon, i wish to advice anyone going to hills and specifically walks or resorts in hills always carry little salt with you and thoroughly check your feet and clothes for leeches as soon as you come to rest or complete the journey.

Do not walk around in sandals/slippers. if possible skip the shorts as they suck quite an amount of blood and can cause a little weakness and scare for faint hearted. to remove them do not pull them as they are great suckers and you cant get rid of them, just drop pinch of salt on them and they will dilate and suckers release skin surface.

Replies: 2942
    aashish2137 on #41435

@sany wrote:

Ah, my only concern of asking this was as leeches lurch during monsoon, i wish to advice anyone going to hills and specifically walks or resorts in hills always carry little salt with you and thoroughly check your feet and clothes for leeches as soon as you come to rest or complete the journey.

Do not walk around in sandals/slippers. if possible skip the shorts as they suck quite an amount of blood and can cause a little weakness and scare for faint hearted. to remove them do not pull them as they are great suckers and you cant get rid of them, just drop pinch of salt on them and they will dilate and suckers release skin surface.

Thank you for the handy tip. I didn’t notice any leech there but since there was a lot of woodwork, I won’t discount the presence. Mostly snails and other flying bugs.

Keymaster
    Dheeraj Sharma on #41436

Wow, Aashish most likely will be making a trip here in November. Let’s see what comes up.

Replies: 2372
    Vinod Raman on #41437

@sany wrote:

The western Ghats friends here would know this quite well :D Yes, salt is a solution; another one is camphor with coconut oil — apply this and then start walking, they don’t usually tend to stick when you do this.. I believe the leeches suck only the bad-blood in your body and help in blood purification :D :D – whatever that is, I don’t want leeches on my body

Keymaster
    Dheeraj Sharma on #41438

Aah, that is a wonderful tip Vinod. I never knew it, would be quite helpful.

Participant
    Replies: 140
    sameerphatak on #41439

Excellent Aashish!! This surely is a worth try. The pics were awesome.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The topic ‘Binsar Eco Camp, Uttrakhand’ is closed to new replies.
Follow us on Instagram & Ask any travel questions in DM there
JOIN OVER 30,000+ TRAVELLERS

who gets great travel deals, tips & updates from Devil On Wheels™ for FREE

You have been subscribed successfully to get latest travel updates, tips, and discounts for FREE.

Something went wrong!

Send this to a friend