The Spiti Valley is a cold desert mountain valley located high in the Himalayas in the north-eastern part of the Indian state of Himachal Pradesh. The name “Spiti” means “The Middle Land”, i.e. the land between Tibet and India.
Local population follows Vajrayana Buddhism similar to that found in the nearby Tibet Autonomous Region and the Ladakh region of India. The valley and surrounding region is one of the least populated regions in India and is the gateway to the northernmost reaches of the nation. Not to mention the awe-inspiring landscape will make you spellbound.
Why not Ladakh?
- Because Ladakh is too crowded and commercialized. A real nature seeker knows it well.
- Because what is fun in visiting a place which everyone else is going.
- Because I don’t have s many days to travel to Ladakh.
- Because I want to visit Spiti before it becomes another commercialized and tourist place like Ladakh.
Join our fixed departure tours to Spiti Valley if you are looking for a wholesome experience which includes some of the finest places to stay including a beautiful homestay for a night or two.
Spiti Valley Tour Duration: 8 Days/7 Nights
The duration of the tour will be 8 Days and 7 Nights covering the full circuit starting from Shimla to Manali traveling through Kinnaur and Spiti region.
Highlights of the Spiti Valley Trip
- Organized by a professional team with 10+ years of experience of organizing trips and treks to high altitude Himalayan regions of such as Parang La, Pin-Parvati Pass, Sach Pass, Ladakh & Spiti.
- Drive along the ancient silk road used by traders from China, Afghanistan, Iran, and India for the trade of Silk and spices.
- Ride through one of the most adventurous roads of India and the world.
- Experience unique and real Tibetan culture of Spiti valley before it gets commercialized.
- Unique Geyu mummy: 550 years old self mummified monk believed to be in deep meditation. It is said that his nails & hair is still growing. There is only one more such mummy found in China.
- Visit the Oldest monastery of India at Tabo, 1000+years old.
- Stay at Mudh village in beautiful Pin Valley National park.
- World’s Highest motorable village, highest post office, highest polling booth, highest petrol pump, and Asia’s Highest Bridge.
- Camping night at 4200 meters ASL at Chandrataal lake and experience its mesmerizing beauty.
- Drive through Kunzum pass @ 4550 meters ASL and experience adventure of the lifetime.
- And finally, the famous Rohtang Pass mentioned in numerous folklores.
Day by Day Itinerary for this Spiti Group Tour
The plan is simple yet thrilling. We will pick you up from Shimla and move to the small village of Narkanda in Shimla district where we will stay for the night on the first day of our trip before entering the tribal circuit of Kinnaur and then into the Middle Land- Spiti through winding roads, ascent, descent, water crossings and much more…
This tour will take you through some of the remotest places, highest villages, and monasteries, unique landscapes, crystal clear lakes & rivers and gives you the opportunity to meet lovely people of High Himalayas.
Here is a brief itinerary for this Spiti Valley shared group tour.
*Day-wise detailed description can be provided upon request.
Day 1 | Arrive Shimla. Pickup from Volvo bus stand Shimla around 8 AM and Transfer to Narkanda
Rest in the hotel or take a stroll to the village. Or enjoy Sunset from Hatu peak. 360-degree views and beautiful surroundings.
- Night Stay: Hotel in Narkanda
- Drive Time: 3 hrs
Day 2 | Narkanda to Sangla Valley
Ancient Badri Narayan temple at Sangla is a beautiful wooden architecture. Buy famous local Rajma from Sangla.
- Night Stay: Hotel in Sangla
- Drive Time: 7 hrs
Day 3 | Sangla to Chitkul back to Sangla and then travel to Kalpa
Beautiful riverside walk & fun at Chitkul. Visit suicide point, Kalpa temple, lazy walks, enjoy the awesome view.
- Night Stay: Hotel in Kalpa
- Drive Time: 3 hrs
Day 4 | Kalpa – Nako – Geyu Mummy – Tabo
The confluence of Satluj & Spiti at Khab Nako Village 550 Years old self mummified monk at Geyu.
- Night Stay: Hotel in Tabo
- Drive Time: 8-9 hrs
Day 5 | Tabo – Dhankar – Mudh (Pin Valley)
Awesome view from Dhankar Village and Monastery Kungri Monastery on the way to Pin Valley
- Night Stay: Hotel/Homestay in Pin Valley
- Drive Time: 4 hrs
Day 6 | Mudh – Kaza – Langza – Hikkim – Komic – Kaza
Buddha statue at Langza, Highest motorable village of Komic. Hikkim: World’s Highest polling booth and Post office. Komic Monastery.
- Night Stay: Hotel/Homestay in Kaza
- Drive Time: 4 hrs
Day 7 | Kaza – Ki – Kibber – Chicham – Kunzum Pass – Chandratal
Picturesque Ki monastery. Kibber wildlife sanctuary. Visit peaceful Kunzum Pass and amazing scenery on the way Mesmerizing Chandratal Lake: The most scenic part of Spiti valley. We will pass through Chicham Village.
- Night Stay: Deluxe swiss tents with attached toilet
- Drive Time: 6 hrs
Day 8 | Chandratal – Rohtang Pass – Manali Board Volvo to Delhi from Manali
The scenic drive from barren part of Spiti to greener part as you enter Lahaul valley on the way to Manali. View the magical reflections in Chandratal and leave for Manali.
- Night Stay: Not applicable
- Drive Time: 8-9 hrs till Manali and then guests can either stay on their own or take Volvo back to Manali.
Spiti Valley Group Tour Dates
|June – July||29 Jun – 06 July|
|August||10 Aug – 18 Aug (matches with famous La-Darcha Festival in Kaza)|
|August – September||31 Aug – 07 Sep|
|September||14 Sep – 21 Sep|
|September – October||28 Sep – 05 Oct|
Why The Himalayan Monk?
Travel with the monk for a stress-free, safe & cleaner experience. We focus on client satisfaction and always deliver more than we promise.
- No hidden costs. Transparent policies.
- 24×7 dedicated helpline for your group. No call waiting.
- Track record of 100% client satisfaction.
- Best of class accommodation in the category selected.
- Planned and executed by professionals passionate for Himalayas and local residents of Spiti Valley.
- Recommended by Devil On Wheels™ – The most reliable travel blog on the Indian Himalayas.
- Deluxe accommodation on double sharing basis as per itinerary.
- Camping near Chandratal lake for 1 night. Swiss Tents with attached toilet.
- All accommodation will be neat & clean with a beautiful view.
- 7 Breakfast + 7 Dinner will be served at the hotel/cottage/homestay/camp.
- 1 non-veg dish will be served in dinner at most places. Only veg meals at Chandrataal.
- Traveler/Innova/Xylo with experienced driver well known with Spitian terrain.
- Toll, parking, driver night allowance included.
- Driver tips: as you wish.
- Stay on Day 8 in Manali is not included. If required it will be charged extra.
- GST will be applicable on the tour cost.
- Permit fees and charges for foreign nationals. No permit needed for Indian citizens.
- Lunch or any meal/snacks not mentioned in Inclusions.
- Any monument entry Fee or camera fee.
- Personal Expenses (Snacks/Water Bottles/Energy Drinks/any beverages).
- Cost escalation due to natural reason/strike/taxi-Bike Union Issues/Antisocial unrest or any other emergency.
- Bus/Flight/Train Tickets (can be booked upon request).
- Any insurance.
- Anything which is not mentioned in inclusions.
Minimum 4 adults are required for the trip to materialize unless other participants are ready to pay the cost escalated due to fewer participants. Otherwise, the full amount will be reimbursed after deducting the bank charges, if any.
- 80% of the package cost will be refunded if canceled 20 days in advance.
- 50% of package cost will be refunded if canceled 10 days in advance.
- 20% of the package cost will be refunded in all other cases.