I am just back from an OK OK road trip of Spiti Valley or to be precise more of Hindustan – Tibet Highway or commonly known NH-22 (National Highway – 22) which concluded with 14 Hr struggle with HRTC buses but definitely an experience to relish. The highway runs through some of the beautiful places well known as Shimla, Narkanda, Kufri, Kinnaur, Tabo etc. Though the experience was fine and enriching as being off season I was able to get insights of local life more closely and was able to spend more time with them. However, I wanted to reach Kunzum which I could not due to snow clearance operations still far away from the Kunzum Pass top. I went ahead upto Takcha, yak grazing grounds but from there Kunzum was still 12 KMs odd and it takes real effort to trek such distance with less acclimatized body. The other disappointment was not being able to reach Komik, Hikkim, Langza which was the main attraction of the trip. The car just could not got any traction in deep slush present on the roads. We tried everything sand, stones, pushes, back-forth etc. BUT LUCK WAS AWAY SOMEWHERE on this trip, perhaps the reason that I was not with my wheels 😉 …
Well, one article is short to explain the entire experience, so travel tale will follow soon but I can share the present road conditions for all those who are planning a trip to Spiti Valley in 2013 and for others, it may also act as reference of entire route between Delhi and Kaza, Spiti Valley. A detailed trip report/trip log and Travel Guide will soon follow up.
Some updates on Delhi – Kinnaur – Spiti Valley Road Conditions:
- Delhi – Kalka By Pass – Shimla = Good + Excellent
- Shimla – Theog – Narkanda = Good
- Narkanda – Rampur – Jeori = Good
- Jeori – Bhawanagar = Average
- Bhawanagar – Tapri – Powari = Poor + Very Poor
- Powari – Jangi = Very Poor + Poor
- Jangi – Spillow = Good
- Spillow – Dubling = Poor
- Dubling – Khab diversion = Good + Very Poor
- Khab diversion – Nako – Geyu diversion = Good + Excellent
- Geyu Diversion – Tabo = Poor + Average + Good
- Tabo – Attargoo = Poor + Average
- Attargoo – Kaza = Good
- Kaza = Good
- Kaza – Losar = Good + Average
- Losar – Takcha Ground – Kunzum Pass = Average
- Hikkim – Komik – Langza = Poor + Average + Very Poor
I hope it will be useful for someone who is planning a trip in near future. Please feel free to ask any queries/doubts you have and I would be happy to revert back.
If you found above article useful, then PLEASE stay connected with us on Facebook or Twitter or Email Subscription for any himalayan travel queries or travel updates / tips / news / guides on Traveling to Ladakh, Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Kashmir and other parts of Himalayas. Travel, off the road with us...