There are many of us who are looking for a budget trip to Leh – Ladakh but one of the major challenge in making a budget trip to Leh – Ladakh is the cost at which taxis are available. So, in order to cut short the budget we look forward to bus services in Leh – Ladakh or other means of transport shared transport like shared taxis to save more. If you are alone then private taxis are very costly in Leh – Ladakh but you will be able to find the shared taxi without much fuss at all, mostly. There are lots of flyers which people put at cafes, dine-ins, restaurants, travel agent desks/shops/whiteboards wanting to share the taxis for different trips within Ladakh. Even travel agent organize such shared taxis trip as well but charge a little higher about Rs 200-300 more than it would ideally cost. So, in worst case you can always go back to them and book a seat for yourself. Gelling up with people in Ladakh is more or less easy because many people travel solo and look forward to meet new people and share cultural thoughts and values over the trip. No where else in the world you will find more smiling and helpful people as Ladakhis are 🙂
However, if shared taxi is not your cup of tea, then in that case the bus services in Leh – Ladakh are the only means of travel left for you. Today after getting in touch with a dear friend Lobzang in Leh, I was able to get hold of time table of bus services in Leh – Ladakh who got this only for all of us here. So, special thanks to him and he will keep sharing the updated info. from Ladakh. In a nutshell, today in this article I will be sharing the details of various bus services available in Leh – Ladakh which you can opt for in case either you are looking to save budget and not interested in shared taxis OR if you are looking for an adventure of a different kind 🙂 🙂 … Yeah, believe me, traveling in Leh – Ladakh by a bus is entirely a different experience 😉
Along with the snapshot of rates & time table of bus services in Leh – Ladakh below I have also tried to list down the details of other bus services running on longer routes to Leh such as bus service on Manali – Leh route or Delhi – Manali – Leh bus route or bus services on Srinagar – Leh route, which in total will help you plan your entire trip of Ladakh..
Local Bus Services in Leh – Ladakh
Below screenshot details out the all the routes connecting Leh with different places in Ladakh and I have also listed major tourist spots as below for quick reference:
- Leh to Pangong Tso Bus Service: Bus from Leh to Pangong Tso leaves at 6.30 AM every Saturday and Sunday, return next day. The charges are about Rs 256.
- Leh to Nubra Valley Bus Service: Bus from Leh to Deskit, Nubra Valley leaves at 6.00 AM every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday, return next day and leave from Deskit at 7 AM. The charges are about Rs 197. There is a bus that also goes to Sumur and Panamik at every Tuesday which departs from Leh at 6 AM. The charges of this bus are Rs 256 and 287 respectively.
- Leh to Tso Moriri Bus Service: Bus from Leh to Tso Moriri leaves at 6.30 AM every 10th, 20th and 30th day of the month, return next day. The charges are about Rs 370.
- Leh to Hanle Bus Service: Bus from Leh to Hanle leaves at 6.30 AM every Saturday, return next day. The charges are about Rs 492.
Bus Services from Srinagar – Leh Route
- JKSRTC Srinagar – Leh Bus Service: The bus from Leh to Srinagar starts 2 PM and runs non-stop 7.30 AM in Srinagar. Deluxe bus charges about 1058 per person and semi deluxe charges Rs 670 per person. Normal buses charge around Rs 470 per person. The private bus operators charges about Rs 800-900 per person.
- The bus from Srinagar to Leh starts at 8 AM at present and halts at Kargil for one night and reaches Leh next day. Deluxe bus charges about 1058 per person and semi deluxe charges Rs 670 per person. The bus from Srinagar to Kargil cost around 250 for ordinary and Rs 300 for semi-deluxe.
- These timings are subject to change based on timing of Zojila Pass.
- There are some private buses as well that runs between Srinagar – Leh.
- Justin suggests below in comments, “just completed ladak trip. there are lot of tempo travellers and Mini bus starting from Leh city .They start everyday evening 5:3O PM -6:00 PM and reach srinagar the next day early morning 7:30 AM . cost is Rs 1000 to Rs 1500 based the vehicle. The mini bus is best optiion you only get individual seat and confort to sleep @ night too.”
Bus Services from Manali – Leh Route
- On Leh – Manali route, there are two bus services that run as HRTC Buses and HPTDC Semi Deluxe Tourist buses (non-ac). HRTC ones are normal public transport buses which do not stop for sightseeing on the way except mandatory stops of food + daily routines while HPTDC is a semi deluxe bus that is run for tourists only from 1st July to 15th September every season and does all the sightseeing on the Manali – Leh Highway.
- Manali – Leh HPTDC Bus: HPTDC bus charges Rs 2400 per seat one way in which Transport cost of Rs 1800 and also includes the accommodation cost of Rs 600 at Hotel Chandrabhaga, Keylong with dinner and morning breakfast. HPTDC bus leaves Manali at 11 AM in the morning and reach Keylong in evening. Then starts 5.30-6.00 AM in the morning from Keylong and reach in the evening. Similarly in opposite direction. Plus,
- Schedule of HPTDC Manali – Leh Bus Service can be found at the link: http://hptdc.nic.in/leh.htm. So, while planning please refer this schedule as there is no fixed Odd, Even days now. As you see in updated schedule, bus even runs on odd days as well from Leh to Manali, similarly on even days from Manali to Leh. This bus schedule is published by HPTDC in May every year, so please refer the latest when you are planning the trip.
- Delhi – Manali – Leh Bus Service is run by HRTC. This bus covers a total distance of 1260 kms and has a fare of Rs 1339. The total travel time is about 35 hours. There might be a bus change once at Keylong and driver changes twice, one at Sunder nagar and other at Keylong. The bust departs from Delhi ISBT – at 3:45 pm, then departs from Chandigarh Sec 43 at 9:30 pm. It departs from Kullu at 6:30 am, Manali at 10:00 am and arrive at Keylong at 3:00 pm. Then there is night halt at Keylong and then next day the bus starts 5:00 am from Keylong and arrives at around 7 PM in Leh. The reverse route from Leh starts at 5 AM.
- HRTC Keylong – Leh Bus starts at 5 AM from Keylong and charges are around Rs 480
- There are some private buses as well that runs between Manali – Leh
I hope the above article will help you plan your trip to Leh – Ladakh by bus or plan your sightseeing within Ladakh by bus services and help you either save good money or have a different kind of adventure and experience, altogether. Please share in case you have more details on the bus services in Leh – Ladakh or if you have any update on them. I will keep adding to this article with more updated info. as and when I will get.