We are group of 3 Men planning to visit Manali – Leh – Srinagar on Bike after 2nd week of june.
We are from Bangalore. Reaching Delhi via flight and from Delhi to Manali via public transport.
From Sri nagar to Delhi via Public transport and back to Bangalore via flight.
Note: Flight tickets is not yet booked. Any suggestions to change travel itinerary are welcome.
Please give info on below:
1. Places to cover(Or can be covered in 14 days)
2. Is it feasible to cover entire trip on bike 14 days.
3. Can we get bikes in Manali and drop off in Sri nagar.
4. Can we get tents and other stuff needed to travel on bike.
5. What are possible problems we might face in bike trip.
6. Info about accommodation(We are okay to stay in huts also).
7. Must haves for this trip.
8 Permits required and how and where to get them
Firstly, I will suggest you that please plan it in other direction as going via Srinagar – Leh Highway will be much much easier on your body and help you acclimatize to the high altitude of Manali – Leh Highway. Also, it allows you to enjoy the beauty of Manali – Leh by splitting the journey almost evenly in two days which is very difficult in the other direction. Thirdly, it will allow you to fit Tso Moriri lake into the itinerary in better way. You can read more reasons on the link here
You can check a very balanced and most common itinerary for Leh – Ladakh followed by many travellers including me at the link here for 13-14 days: Most Common Itinerary for Leh – Ladakh.
You can check the nice, preferred list of accommodation options in entire Leh – Ladakh (Leh, Nubra Valley, Pangong Tso, Tso Moriri) including moderate (cheap budget hotels as well) in the series of articles starting on the link here.
For the leh – ladakh taxi union rate list 2018 – 19 including the contacts of some reliable taxi drivers within Leh – Ladakh, check the link here. You can get about 12-15% of discount by directly getting in touch with drivers and of course, talking in person rather on phone always help in bargaining more. You can call the local drivers directly to connect with them and check the more comprehensive List of Taxi Drivers for Ladakh – Srinagar – Leh – Manali with recommendations/reviews for DoW community members.
At times, while going from Srinagar to Leh, you might need to work out few things if there have been some tensions in taxi unions of Kargil and Leh. In order to settle it out, what they do is that they make a transit point just before Fotu La while going to Leh from Kargil. All Leh taxis stop there and kargil taxis too. They exchange passengers and move back in respective directions. Leh taxis take passengers to Leh coming from Srinagar/Kargil and Kargil guys take passengers to Srinagar/kargil coming from Leh. But, that happens only when there is an issue.
For the list of good restaurants in Leh – Ladakh or eateries or food joints where food is enjoyed by many travellers including me, you can check the link here: List of Good Restaurants in Leh – Ladakh | Restaurant Reviews
Check the list of things to carry for Leh – Ladakh or other trip including basic medical kit, clothing, must haves etc. at the link here: List of Things to Carry for Leh – Ladakh trip.
To know about AMS and acclimatization including the tips to combat AMS, please DO READ: Acute Mountain Sickness and Importance of Acclimatization
For details on inner line permits process and to download application form read the link here
Thank you Dheeraj for your inputs. I have few doubts:
1. I heard about attacks on travellers in Srinagar. What do you suggest? Should we start from Srinagar or directly from Leh to Manali.
2. How about including Zanskar valley as well in the itinerary.
3. Is it feasible to complete entire trip on bikes considering physical tiredness and other problems.
4. Rough budgeting and comfort(stops at our wish) for taxis(only for 3 of us) from Srinagar to Leh and Leh to Manali.
Awaiting your valuable inputs.
1. You can avoid staying at Srinagar and go directly to Sonamarg
2. Do you have 4 days in hand? If yes, you can include Zanskar
3. If you are not used to such long rides, you will face challenges
4. How to calculate cost or budget for Leh – Ladakh trip
Please login or Register to submit your answer