I was planning a trip to Spiti in the winters. I was interested in going to Tashigang (after Kibber) and further up if possible to spot the snow leopard.
- Is this crazy or possible? How do I reach Tashigang from Kaza? I’ll not be travelling with my own vehicle.
- Is it possible to walk to Tashigang if there is no public transport?
- Would I require a guide to reach there? If so, where can I find one?
- Where can I go from Tashigang?
4. Where can I buy/rent a -25c Sleeping bag? Is it possible to rent it in Kaza or Shimla?
Nothing thing is fixed though so if you can recommend some other places, that would be fine too :). I simply thought Tashigang would be the best place to spot the leopard as it\\\\\\\’s quite remote
You can surely travel to Kibber in winters, you might need to trek a bit. After reaching the Kibber it is all about trekking, the dirt road towards Gette and Tashigang will not be open by that time. So, you will not be able to drive but trek with the help of locals. Spotting snow leopard requires you to have some local or guide support as they help you better.
Would very much appreciate if you could answer these too
1. Is public transport from Spiti- Kaza working as usual? From what I understand I have to go from Shimla to Reckong Peo then take the early morning bus from Peo to Kaza, correct? I can’t seem to find the bus (Peo to Kaza) on HRTC for some reason though…
2. Is 5pm bus from Kaza to Kibber still active?
3. Could you give me a rough itinerary on places to go (if interested in spotting wildlife ) if I have about 10-12 days to spend in Spiti. I read the common winter itinerary but it seems to be more suitable if you have a private vehicle.
4. Where do I find a local guide? Is it as easy as just asking villagers to guide you for a few days? How much do they charge usually?
I’m sure I’ll find the answers to most of these questions in your articles…I’m just confused by too much info haha
Sorry for the delay, here are the replies:
1. The public transport to Spiti, Kaza from Reckong Peo has to work daily however in case of snow bloackages, the bus from both direction will reach a point where the passengers from either side has to walk to reach the other bus. Confirm before you hop on to the bus if thatis even possible or the blockages are far apart. The bus from Peo to Kaza in both direction leaves at 7 aM
2. The bus from Kaza to Kibber might not be running in winter, more or less.
You can also get in touch with Ranjeet Singh at +91-8090592440 or firstname.lastname@example.org, he is more than a friend to me. Will offer you best price, send the screenshot of this reply if required. He runs couple of homestays too around Kaza and may be running Snow Leopard Spotting tours this winters too.
Regarding the itinerary you have to follow the public transport one:
Day 1: Delhi – Shimla/Narkanda
Day 2: Shimla/ Narkanda – Reckong Peo
Day 3: Reckong Peo – Kaza
Day 4, 5, 6, 7, 8: Kaza, Kibber, Langza and around for snow leopard spotting
Day 9, 10, 11, 12: Return in the same manner with public transport with buffer day
Please login or Register to submit your answer