A couple of years back, the permit for Rohtang Pass was enforced by NGT for any vehicles traveling on Manali to Rohtang Pass road. Ever since there has been so much confusion on the application of this permit and to add to the misery, rules changes almost every year. In this article today, I will try to brief about the new updates and caveats related to the permit for Rohtang Pass in 2017. This will help you be updated on the new process and make your journey to Rohtang pass or beyond, a bit hassle free 🙂 🙂
Recent Updates on Permit for Rohtang Pass
- This season, about 25 electric buses will ply on Manali – Rohtang Pass road. This will certainly help those tourists who cannot drive their own vehicles due to restricted number of vehicles allowed by NGT on a per day basis.
- A permit for Rohtang Pass is required to travel on the road from Manali to Rohtang Pass. On a daily basis, the permit for Rohtang Pass is restricted to only 800 petrol and 400 diesel vehicles to travel to Rohtang Pass.
- The permit for Rohtang Pass is available on first come, first serve basis.
- In order to apply for the permit, you need to show a valid photo ID proof, Valid Pollution Under Check (PUC) Certificate and Vehicle Registration Date (Age of vehicle not to be more than 10 yrs).
- This year as well permit for Rohtang Pass will be available online as per the last couple of years. You can apply them from 12:00 PM to 24:00 AM on the official website of Kullu administration. This permit will not be available for Tuesdays as Rohtang Pass is closed for maintenance on Tuesdays for tourism activities. Permit for Rohtang Pass can only be applied for two days from the current date. You can read more at: How to get Rohtang Pass Permit Online.
- There is a congestion charge of Rs 50 and permit fee of Rs 500 applicable for any vehicle passing Gulaba check post. Heavy vehicles and buses have to pay Rs 100 as congestion charges.
- The permit to go beyond Rohtang Pass to Ladakh or Spiti – Lahaul Valley will also be available online this year for the convenience of such tourists. This is a good news for all those adventure junkies who suffer the pain in planning each year.
- There are no restrictions or limitations of vehicles on the permit to go beyond Rohtang Pass. Also, this permit for Rohtang Pass is only required in case you are traveling from Manali to Rohtang Pass direction. It is not required if you travel from other direction, that is, from Khoksar to Manali over Rohtang Pass.
- Please note that this year, a more mature technology based barrier system will be set up at the checkpoints of Gulaba & Khoksar. Those of you who may not know, Gulaba is about 20 KMs from Manali and 31 KMs before Rohtang Pass. Khoksar is a small settlement on the northern side of Rohtang Pass in Lahaul Valley. The distance between Khoksar – Gramphu – Rohtang pass is about 19 KMs. Gramphu is about 4 KMs from Khoksar. It is the point where road to Spiti valley bifurcates on right from Manali – Leh Highway
- The new system will stop the misuse of the permit for Rohtang Pass. It will ensure that in case you have applied the permit to go beyond Rohtang Pass, the permit gets automatically verified at the Khoksar checkpoint. Data between the two checkpoints will be in sync to catch the misuse of the permit for Rohtang Pass. Hence, if you applied permit to go beyond Rohtang Pass and want to return from Rohtang Pass, then you will be caught at Gulaba checkpoint as there is no exit recorded at Khoksar for such a permit. Hence, you will have to apply the permit for Rohtang Pass only in such a case, capped to vehicle restrictions every day.
- Vehicles which will not comply with the guidelines of Rohtang Pass permit and found misusing it will be blacklisted.
- Taxi union is working out to appeal that the barrier should be shifted to Marhi from Gulaba due to congestion at Gulaba while Marhi provides more space to park the vehicles.
- Please note, in case you could not get the permit for Rohtang Pass online, you can always apply them at SDM office in Manali. Rohtang Pass permits are also available on Sunday as well. This will helps 1000s of tourists who reaches Manali on Saturday or Sunday morning but then used to wait for an extra day to get the permit on Monday to travel to Leh – Ladakh or Spiti Valley.
- Commercial activities are already banned in this area by the NGT order. An eco-friendly market of 20 shops has been set up at Marhi out of which five will be open this year.
I am sure that the above article will help you answer many questions about the permit for Rohtang Pass. In case you have any further doubts or questions about traveling to Rohtang pass, feel free to share it under the comments section of this article or as a travel question in our Travel Q & A section. We can discuss more on your upcoming travel plans for Rohtang Pass and beyond Rohtang Pass to Leh – Ladakh, Lahaul or Spiti Valley 🙂
If you found above article useful, then PLEASE stay connected with us on Facebook or Twitter or Email Subscription for any himalayan travel queries or travel updates / tips / news / guides on Traveling to Ladakh, Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Kashmir and other parts of Himalayas. Travel, off the road with us...