The new season for Leh – Ladakh travel is about to begin in 2018 and as expected by this time of the year, Ladakh taxi union has published the Leh – Ladakh Taxi Rates 2018 – 19. In this article today, I am going to share with you the latest taxi rates of the year 2018 – 19 for all the routes in Leh – Ladakh. It is quite a pleasant surprise that there have been no major hikes in the taxi rates of Leh – Ladakh sightseeing for another consecutive year 🙂 🙂 … I believe it is quite welcoming & understanding step on behalf of whole Leh – Ladakh taxi union and will surely help tourists make a good trip to Leh – Ladakh. Frankly speaking, I had expected around 8-10% at least this year 😛
People going first time to Leh – Ladakh must say or feel that rates of the Ladakh taxis are very high. However, there are always good reasons to choose a local taxi in Leh – Ladakh over an outside state taxi or drive. The taxi rates in Leh – Ladakh are designated or divided as per the basis of the model and make of the taxis. In Leh – Ladakh, you can get XUV, Scorpio, Xylo, Aria, and Innovas. I am sharing the update on taxi rates with published rate chart in the article below:
- XUV, Innova and Aria (highest price tag) – No major change in rates
- Xylo, Scorpio, Tavera, Sumo Grande, Qualis, Safari, etc.. (middle price tag) – No major change in rates
- Eeco, Omni Van, Winger, Old Sumo, Bolero, etc.. (lowest price tag) – No major change in rates
- Tempo Traveller / Wingers – No major change in rates
The Leh – Ladakh taxi rates list listed below covers Ladakh sightseeing including trips to Nubra Valley, Pangong Tso, and Tso Moriri. It also covers the taxi rates for Manali – Leh Highway and Srinagar – Leh Highway routes. I am also enlisting below some of the most frequently visited trips in Ladakh and the applicable taxi rates for those routes. This will help you quickly get rough idea of your budget for a taxi in Leh – Ladakh.
- Srinagar – Leh in 2 days = Rs 18400
- Leh Local sightseeing = Rs 2500-3000
- Leh – Nubra Valley 2 Day = Rs 10566
- Leh – Pangong Tso 2 Day = Rs 10301
- Leh – Tso Moriri – Tso Kar – Sarchu – Manali 2-3 days = Rs 29056
- Leh – Manali 2 Days = Rs 21588
- Leh – Pangong Tso 1 Day = Rs 8653
- Leh – Nubra Valley 1 Day = Rs 8053
You should always carry your own water bottle and refill it as many times as you need water. It will not only keep you hydrated always, but you will also help in saving the Himalayas from plastic garbage. Remember, every tiny step counts and your step in this direction can help save the Himalayas too !! 🙂 🙂
Leh – Ladakh Taxi Rates 2018
I am pasting below the images of this year’s taxi rates shared to us by our driver friends, who are also listed below. I am thankful to them for their good services to the tourists and glad to understand that Devil On Wheel travel platform has made a real difference in the lives of the local people of Ladakh. Please note when you book a taxi by directly calling the drivers listed below, not only you get discount but you also help these locals earn direct cash. It really helps them in their livelihood compared to middlemen keep credit of their money for the whole season and sometimes flee away with it after the season. I am glad that with your support, this website has helped 100s of local get what they deserve 🙂
Some Good Taxi Drivers in Leh – Ladakh
Following are the contacts of some very reliable taxi drivers within Leh – Ladakh. You can get about 12-15% of discount by directly getting in touch with these local drivers and of course, talking in person rather on phone always help in bargaining more. If you involve any travel agent, there is a likelihood of giving away these direct discounts given by the local drivers when you connect with them directly 🙂
- Rigzin – 09622954779 & 09469472772: We know each other personally for last 9 years now and being more of a family friend to me now. He has a couple of Aria and a Scorpio but mostly remain booked for the season 🙂 :)… In case due to overload, if he is not available, he might help arrange some alternative. The best person to get hold off in entire Ladakh I will say. So, in case available, don’t miss the opportunity as traveling with this jovial, entertaining soul in remote corners of Ladakh is an experience in itself. He makes you feel laughing on the floor by all his storytelling…
- Chamba – 09906999808 & 09716507246: Chamba is a fabulous guy, know me personally very well along with DoW for last 5 years now. Very nice and humble person, tried by hundreds of readers along with Rigzin above with 100% positive feedback 🙂 🙂 …
- Sonam Angdus – 09469272773: More like Rigzin and Chamba, Sonam ji has been associated with Devil On Wheels for a long time and have been to all our mega meets alongside Rigzin. He knows me and DoW very well and always happy to support all the members of Devil On wheels by any means he can. He is ex-serviceman, one of the best persons you will come across in Ladakh and his company will keep you soothing & safe. Never gets frustrated with many stops, always smiling and helpful. He runs a Xylo and is a very very safe companion. In case you get his availability, don’t feel hesitant to book him for the tour.
- Sonam – 09419347945: As per reader feedback “Also he has a guest house ready at the Gompa village–named ‘Apna Ghar’.I am sure that would turn out to be one of the great places to stay in Ladakh, away from the market’s hustle bustle.Please find the details below.This guy definitely needs recommendation at your site. That’s the minimum I could do for the hospitality he and his family showered.He can provide stay as well as a taxi for the tours in Ladakh. He Owns a black Innova.
- Karma Sonam – 09419215110 & 09906991011: His email id is email@example.com. He speaks in English and Hindi nicely. Detailed Reviews in the forum thread.
- Rigzin Stakna – 09622951113 & 09419349082: Excellent human being with a great sense of humor and comic timing along with great driving skills. He is an excellent human being, very down to earth and very lively! He is a very good driver and knows in/out of every route. He is very punctual, he will arrive 10-15 minutes before the agreed time. Detailed Reviews in the forum thread.
- Rinchen – 09419819521 & 09622954831: Rinchen is a hassle free driver and has a friendly demeanor. He knows a lot about Leh’s culture and keeps you engaged as well. Detailed Reviews in the forum thread.
- Manzoor – 09622973951 | Very nice person, recommended by readers below as well
- Naseer – 09906229203 and 09469293183
- Dorjey – 09419372742, 09622969317
- Dorjay Anbchuk – 09419308051
- Tashi – 09469630613, 09906994647, 09419342238
- Tsewang – 09622993372
- Tsewang (not same as above) – 09419853528
- Sonam – 09419371012
- Abbas – 09622998367
- Abbas (not same as above) – 09622971759, 09469271786
Where to get self-drive car in Leh – Ladakh?
I am not aware of any company that provides cars for self-drive in Leh – Ladakh. No such self-drive car rentals exist in Manali or Srinagar as well. So, the only option is to hire a local Ladakh taxi and request driver to self-drive it on some sections of the tour 🙂 …
Can I take a self-drive car to Ladakh?
Unfortunately, you can only use the self-drive rented cars with black number plate and yellow number plate, just to enter Leh and exit Leh from Srinagar – Leh Highway or Manali – Leh Highway. However, you cannot use them for any kind of sightseeing within Leh – Ladakh to places like Nubra Valley, Tso Moriri, and Pangong Tso. For sightseeing within Ladakh, you will need to hire a Ladakh based taxi.
Pro Tip: If you are doing a self drive trip to Leh – Ladakh, then make sure to read my article on 40 Must Have Things to Carry on a Self Drive Trip to the Himalayas
Are taxis rented outside Leh – Ladakh allowed?
Self-drive rented cars and taxis outside Ladakh are not allowed to do any sightseeing within Leh – Ladakh. You can use them for getting to Leh and getting out from Leh but not for any kind of sightseeing within Leh – Ladakh. So, the self-drive cars you are taking must have a private number plate, mostly should be under your name, your wife name or your father name otherwise you will have to again hire a taxi within Ladakh and double pay for your local taxi without using it. You can also read: Rented Self Drive Cars in Leh – Ladakh Banned “FORCIBLY”
Are there any affordable taxis in Leh – Ladakh for solo travelers or couples?
You are alone/couple and private taxis are very costly in Leh but you will be able to find the shared taxi without much fuss at all. There are lots of flyers which people put at cafes, dine-ins, restaurants, travel agent desks/shops/whiteboards wanting to share the taxis for different trips within Ladakh. Even travel agent organize such shared taxis trip as well but charge a little higher about Rs 200-300 more than it would ideally cost. So, in the worst case, you can always go back to them and book a seat for yourself. Gelling up with people in Ladakh is more or less easy because many people travel solo and look forward to meeting new people and share cultural thoughts and values over the trip. Nowhere else in the world you will find more smiling and helpful people as Ladakhis are 🙂
Online Travel Partners
It will be much better than you check the DoW Travel Calendar from the link in the Main Menu of the website. There had been about 800+ entries of the people planning their trips in the last few seasons which helped them have better visibility for finding out travel partners online. You can filter entries based on the preferences you have and increase chances of visibility. Hence, kindly explore DoW Travel Calendar and also post your entry too. This will help you find other fellow travelers looking for company and increase the probability of finding your post by others too.
You can also post a DoW Travel Calendar entry by using the Main Menu and clicking on Submit New Event option in it.
I understand that the costs of a taxi in Leh – Ladakh is pretty high but considering the region, wear and tear, maintenance, the difficulty in driving and a short tourist season, you start feeling them justified. Always remember that you can count on most of these drivers to get you a good accommodation in Ladakh too even in case you have not booked it. Most of them are not those kinds of commission agents that will take you to the hotel of their own interest only. So, you can mostly count on them for stay options too in case you have not done the pre-bookings. They can genuinely help you as well as locals of the region who may provide you authentic Ladakhi stays. I hope the above information will be useful for your upcoming trip to Leh – Ladakh.
And by the way for any questions you may still have about your Leh – Ladakh trip, feel free to post them under Ask A Question section of our website or using the ASK YOUR TRAVEL QUESTION form available below in the article. You can also post questions and connect with other fellow travelers in our community forums. In the end, if you have been to Leh – Ladakh before, kindly share your thoughts and other information you might feel is worth sharing with other fellow travelers and help them.