Late November-December Itinerary Advice: Kumaon

Ask your queries about planning a trip to Uttarakhand - Garhwal & Kumaon or help other fellow travelers with their queries, in this forum.

Late November-December Itinerary Advice: Kumaon

Postby ajnik » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:24 am

Dear DevilOnWheels Travel Pros,

I am a newbie to your website, and have already become a huge fan of all the community advice here! You guys truly rock. Thanks for making this portal!

I am in the process of planning a spontaneous trip from Bangalore to Kumaon with my husband between November 20th-December 3rd. Since this is our first time to the region, I am requesting your expert advice and inputs on our rough itinerary, listed below.

Our Itinerary - Open to Fine-Tuning!

Nov 20. New Delhi to Kathgodam by Rail - Pangot Camp
Nov 21. Pangot Camp - Bhimtal - Naukuchiatal - Sattal - Any other
Nov 22. Pangot - Binsar
Nov 23. Binsar - Munsiyari via Berinag
Nov 24. Munsiyari
Nov 25. Munsiyari - Chaukori
Nov 26. Chaukori - Patal Bhuvaneshwar
Nov 27. Chaukori - Kausani via Baijnath
Nov 28. Kausani - Almora - Jim Corbett (Ramgarh)
Nov 29. Jim Corbett Safari and Night Halt
Nov. 30 Ramgarh to New Delhi by Rail

*There is a 2 day gap in this plan in which we are considering some offbeat inclusions that we found across blogs and forums, listed below. What are your thoughts on including any/some of these?

- Mukteshwar/Peora/Dhanachuli
- Manila
- Khati
- Chalni Chinni
- Jhaltola
- Any Others?

Some additional queries:
We plan on hiring a cab through and through our journey.
- What costs can we anticipate for a cab + driver hire for such an itinerary, for 13 days?
- The start point for the cab will be Kathgodam, but the end point might be Ramgarh (Near Corbett) - does that affect the cab hire costs?
- I located a seperate post listing driver contacts throughout Uttarakhand, but I could not reach any of the mentioned people. Is there any reliable tour agency/contact number to hire a cab+driver from?

Thanks in advance for all your help! Looking forward to your suggestions so we can finalise bookings at the earliest.
Last edited by ajnik on Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
ajnik

Re: Late November-December Itinerary Advice: Kumaon

Postby getpackingvinod » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:54 am

tagging @mosederbaer @sany and @preetkamal
getpackingvinod
Site Moderator

Postby navneet1986 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:58 pm

Hi @ajnik,

Welcome to DOW!!

First things first, I would like to applaud you for the research you have done for planning this.

The itinerary seems fine to me. However you can also plan a stay at Chaukori and Ranikhet for those 2 days you are mentioning. Mukteshwar is another good option. You can choose any of them.

For taxis, I would want the others to reply as I love driving myself.

Thanks.
Road Trips: Bhutan Apr'16-May'16; Now Running | Spiti Sep'14-Oct'14 | Kinnaur Jul'14
Trekking: Indrahaar Pass; Now Running
Solo: Winter Trip to Spiti & Kinnaur; Dec'15-Jan'16; Coming Soon
navneet1986
DoW Core Team

Postby mosederbaer » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:26 pm

@ajnik welcome to the forum. The time frame for the trip will be just perfect for Kumaon region. The weather will be pleasant and the views will be clear. It will be an off season too. I am suggesting some changes in the plan made by you. Hire the car from 21st onwards. On 20th, instead of kathgodam, get down at haldwani which is the previous station. Here you will get the taxis for dropping at pangot.

20th November- New Delhi to kathgodam and then to pangot camp.

21st- Pangot to barapathar and move to khurpatal. Return to barapathar and then a mule ride to lands end and dorothy seat. Now move to nainital and then cable car ride to snow view, visit to naina devi temple, boating in naini lake, walk at mall road and then return to pangot for night stay.

22nd- Today you may move from pangot to naintal, bhowali and cover sattal, bhimtal and naukhuchiatal. Return to bhowali and move to ramgarh. Either stay at ramgarh or move further to mukteshwar. I will suggest Mukteshwar.. :)

23rd- Relax day at mukteshwar.

24th- Mukteshwar to almora and then to chaukori via seraghat, berinag.

25th- Chaukori to thal and then to munsiyari.

26th- Munsiyari.

27th- Munsiyari to thal, bageshwar and then to binsar.

28th- Binsar to almora, ranikhet.

29th- Ranikhet to bhatrojkhan, bhikiyasen, jainal and then to manila.

30th- Manila to Ramnagar and corbett.

1st- corbett.

2nd- Corbett to Delhi.

3rd- Delhi to Bangalore.

Now for corbett park, you can stay at ramnagar and then visit the park (personally I have never been to park).

What costs can we anticipate for a cab + driver hire for such an itinerary, for 13 days?

A small car should cost around (approximate) 2500 per day which should include the allowance for driver too. The big car should be around 3500 per day. You can bargain and get a good deal.

The start point for the cab will be Kathgodam, but the end point might be Ramgarh (Near Corbett) - does that affect the cab hire costs?

It should not make a difference. The car rates will be on per day basis.

I located a seperate post listing driver contacts throughout Uttarakhand, but I could not reach any of the mentioned people. Is there any reliable tour agency/contact number to hire a cab+driver from?

You can try this contact-
1. Pandeyji- +918958961208.

The contact details in this thread should also be able to help you for vehicle arrangements.

If you have to have more queries then kindly post them here.

Hope it helps.. :)
Travel is never a matter of money, only spirit
mosederbaer
DoW Core Team

Postby ajnik » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:59 pm

Hello again!

Thanks for the warm welcome, guys : )

@Navneet: Yes, I hyper-researched this itinerary as one doesn't want to get it wrong the first time! We were betting big on Mukteshwar after hearing a lot of great reviews about the region. Thanks for reaffirming the choice :) Also, Ranikhet is a great addition to the plan!

@mosederbaer: Special thanks for all your advice, evidently it is truly golden! You've helped us piece together the whole itinerary with some interesting reshuffling and new additions like Barapathar/Khurpatal/Ranikhet (which comes up a lot in typical Kumaon itineraries)/Bhatrojkhan/Bhikiyasen/Jainal.
Your responses to my queries regarding cab hire costs and Pandeyji's contact are really resourceful too :)
ajnik

Postby mosederbaer » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:34 am

Thanks for the encouraging words. In addition to above post, will advise to make advance booking for stay at following places.
1. Pangot.
2. Mukteshwar (kmvn rest house).
3. Chaukori (kmvn rest house).
4. binsar (kmvn rest house).
5. Ramnagar.

Except manila, rest of the spots, you can just see two or three places and then decide. Manila has two guest houses at rathkhal (5 km further main Manila Temple). next to each other. No advance booking is required as very few people visit this place.

Hope it helps...
mosederbaer
DoW Core Team

Postby ajnik » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:33 pm

Hi guys,

Need some quick and urgent advice in deciding between KAUSANI or CHAUKORI/JHALTOLA

Our starting point is Munsiyari and end point is Mukteshwar, where we'll be staying for 2 days each.

We have 2 options to cut the journey midway:
1. Chaukori OR Jhaltola
2. Kausani

Looks like a difficult choice to make, but can any of you help make this decision easy?

Awaiting super urgent responses as we need to plan

As always, thanks!

Ajnik
ajnik

Postby mosederbaer » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:46 pm

@ajnik sorry for the delayed reply. Choose either chaukori and skip kausani and jhaltola... :)
mosederbaer
DoW Core Team

Return to Uttarakhand - Garhwal & Kumaon