Spiti Valley - Tips & Tales from Travellers Like You

Share your Lahaul, Spiti & Kinnaur Valley traveling experiences or stories with other like minded travelers, in this forum.

Spiti Valley - Tips & Tales from Travellers Like You

Postby dheerajsharma14 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:39 pm

Folks, starting this thread to post different tips and tales shared by different travelers in various section of the Devil On Wheels website related to Spiti Valley. A similar thread will be started for Ladakh and other regions as well.

You can post your own short tales, traveling tips, short reviews, road updates, etc.. along with other details which can help other fellow travelers.

Sharing the Tips and Tales posted by Mohammad Asif on Devil On Wheels Blog comments section here:

Myself and two of my colleagues had a self drive road trip to Spiti Valley from 22nd Sep – 29th Sep 2017. We hired a Scorpio from Zoom Car Noida, here are few suggestions and route we followed.

22/9 (04:30 AM) : Delhi to Narkanda (12 hours with few breaks for Breakfast, lunch etc), overnight at Narkanda. Overall very good road with the exception Shimla by pass which is in pathetic condition
23/9 (07:00 AM) : Narkanda to Chitkul (suggest to avoid night stay in Sangla or Kalpa, instead spend night in more picturesque village Chitkul or Batseri. Sama resort is best option in Chitkul. We bought potatoes and Ogla (Kuttu) atta, Kinnauri Rajma. Also bought apples from one of the road side factory in Sangla village.
Very scenic and nice roads till Chitkul, with few minor exceptions.
24/9 (09:00 AM) : Chitkul to Nako Lake. There are some bad patches from Pooh onwards, but very nice drive with full tar road from Khab till Nako
25/9 (07:00 AM) : Nako to Tabo (Geyu Mummy) to Dhankar – PIN (Mud village) – Kaza

Dont forget to check out two of the working water mills (Pan Chakki, we ate some sattu here in Tabo).
We avoided Dhankar lake due to very tough 2 hours hike. Also avoided staying in Mud, instead returned to Kaza on same day.
Very good roads from Nako till Tabo. PIN valley roads are only dirt.

26/9 : Kaza – Langza – Komic – Hikkim – Kaza gate – Ki – Kibber – Chicham bridge – Losar

Tips: From Kaza, mostly people go to Hikkim which is bad road and steep hike, instead go directly to Langza (instead of taking right towards Hikkim, go straight on left side towards Langza – Komic – Hikkim, This way you will save around 1 hour and instead of going steep hike on Kaza Hikkim road, will come back on this road which will be down hill and easy drive.
Moreover there is a newly built road from Ki to Kibber via Chicham bridge, no need to come back to Kaza.
Very good road except last 30 km stretch before Losar.
27/9 (10:30 AM) – Losar to Chandratal
Very narrow road (last 20 km before Chandratal)
28/9 – Chandratal – Battal – Manali (7 Hours)
29/9 – Manali – Delhi (12 Hours)
dheerajsharma14
Site Administrator

Re: Spiti Valley - Tips & Tales from Travellers Like You

Postby dipankarb » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:05 pm

Very nice and practical tips, much appreciated.
dipankarb
Rookie

Postby dipankarb » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:23 pm

Dear All,

Basis my experience I have the following advices.

1) If you are travelling during vacation or long weekend further into Lahul Spiti make sure you get your timing right for crossing Shimla. The traffic snarls could be very annoying and for heaven sake dont take advice from google on the shorter route , you may land up on a route with no entry board in front forcing you to come back all the way and take the original by pass. It happened to me and it took nearly 2 hours for me to cross Shimla.
2) Road to Hatu peak is very narrow, you need to have supreme driving skills to manage car crossings at some spots
3) The original Sarahan route is closed due to a broken bridge. There is an alternate route being opened 2 kms ahead which is very bad and narrow you need high GC cars and some driving skills to maneuver. Avoid visiting unless you are keen to visit Bhimakali temple or check if the original route is restored
4)In Sangla Valley, stay in Rakcham or Batseri as Sangla village has become crowded and Chitkul would be pricier since it is the last point. It is a must visit place and overall Sangla valley is very picuresque. If you could secure Army permit from Chandigarh visit Ranikanda which is further ahead of Chitkul, saw a picture and I presume it will be a beautiful place.
5) Dont stay in Rekong peo, stay in Kalpa instead as it is at a higher altitude and you get beautiful view of Kinner Kailash
6) Kalpa to Nako is a beautiful drive (except for initial 40-50 km due to bad road) especially towards the later part- Nako Lake was a disappointment as I found it dirty and ill maintained , also lot of hotels and hutments have come up on its bank resulting in a noticeable shrink in its area from what it was 10 years back.
7) Nako to Tabo is a beautiful drive again , Gue Mummy is must visit as Gue village and the view from there is breathtaking.
8) Tabo to Kaza- The best route along this trip , Mane village can be missed but not the Dhankar hike, View of the valley from Dhankar Monastery is just out of the world and not to be missed. Visit to Kungri, pin Valley and Mud village is must do . If you have time, stay put in Mud village and next day early morning go for a hike on foot , one of the best views you get from there.
9)Kaza to Langzha to Komic to hikkim that is the right sequence of covering these places( They can be done in any order as these places are interconnected).
10) Kaza- Kye- Gette- Toshigong- Kibber- Chicham- Losar. This should be the sequence of your travel. Road from Chicham bridge goes right through the Kibber Village and it is a must must do , very less traffic and majestic views.
11) Losar- Kunzum Pass- Chandrataal - Batal- Chatru- Gramphu : Road from Batal to Chattru is pure hell. only high GC SUV is recommended, you virtually drive on boulders avoiding belly hits. even my 210 mm GC car got hit 2-3 times. Don't think of staying in Batal as options are less and mostly Dhabas.
12) Rohtang pass was a breeze with newly laid tar road.

Please let me know in case you need any other suggestions on this.
dipankarb
Rookie

Postby mosederbaer » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:18 pm

dipankarb wrote:Dear All,

Basis my experience I have the following advices.

1) If you are travelling during vacation or long weekend further into Lahul Spiti make sure you get your timing right for crossing Shimla. The traffic snarls could be very annoying and for heaven sake dont take advice from google on the shorter route , you may land up on a route with no entry board in front forcing you to come back all the way and take the original by pass. It happened to me and it took nearly 2 hours for me to cross Shimla.
2) Road to Hatu peak is very narrow, you need to have supreme driving skills to manage car crossings at some spots
3) The original Sarahan route is closed due to a broken bridge. There is an alternate route being opened 2 kms ahead which is very bad and narrow you need high GC cars and some driving skills to maneuver. Avoid visiting unless you are keen to visit Bhimakali temple or check if the original route is restored
4)In Sangla Valley, stay in Rakcham or Batseri as Sangla village has become crowded and Chitkul would be pricier since it is the last point. It is a must visit place and overall Sangla valley is very picuresque. If you could secure Army permit from Chandigarh visit Ranikanda which is further ahead of Chitkul, saw a picture and I presume it will be a beautiful place.
5) Dont stay in Rekong peo, stay in Kalpa instead as it is at a higher altitude and you get beautiful view of Kinner Kailash
6) Kalpa to Nako is a beautiful drive (except for initial 40-50 km due to bad road) especially towards the later part- Nako Lake was a disappointment as I found it dirty and ill maintained , also lot of hotels and hutments have come up on its bank resulting in a noticeable shrink in its area from what it was 10 years back.
7) Nako to Tabo is a beautiful drive again , Gue Mummy is must visit as Gue village and the view from there is breathtaking.
8) Tabo to Kaza- The best route along this trip , Mane village can be missed but not the Dhankar hike, View of the valley from Dhankar Monastery is just out of the world and not to be missed. Visit to Kungri, pin Valley and Mud village is must do . If you have time, stay put in Mud village and next day early morning go for a hike on foot , one of the best views you get from there.
9)Kaza to Langzha to Komic to hikkim that is the right sequence of covering these places( They can be done in any order as these places are interconnected).
10) Kaza- Kye- Gette- Toshigong- Kibber- Chicham- Losar. This should be the sequence of your travel. Road from Chicham bridge goes right through the Kibber Village and it is a must must do , very less traffic and majestic views.
11) Losar- Kunzum Pass- Chandrataal - Batal- Chatru- Gramphu : Road from Batal to Chattru is pure hell. only high GC SUV is recommended, you virtually drive on boulders avoiding belly hits. even my 210 mm GC car got hit 2-3 times. Don't think of staying in Batal as options are less and mostly Dhabas.
12) Rohtang pass was a breeze with newly laid tar road.

Please let me know in case you need any other suggestions on this.

Sir thanks a lot for taking time out and write these practical tips. They will really be helpful for anyone, planning a trip to spiti region. Specially your advise for a visit to Mudh is true. I felt the same way.

If you have traveled recently then please share a brief trip report and pictures, here on forum. :)
Travel is never a matter of money, only spirit
mosederbaer
DoW Core Team

Postby dipankarb » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:27 pm

Sorry , I missed to reply on your query. I have already posted some photographs, sharing the link

http://devilonwheels.com/india/plan-lahaul-spiti-kinnaur-trip/topic7604.html
dipankarb
Rookie

Return to Lahaul, Spiti & Kinnaur Valley