Solo Trip - March

Ask your queries about planning a trip to Lahaul, Spiti & Kinnaur Valley or help other fellow travelers with their queries, in this forum.

Solo Trip - March

Postby puns80 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:30 pm

1st post here and looking forward to getting some good advice
Have an ambitious trip planned for 16 days from March 15 to March 31 from Delhi by local bus / shared cabs/walking and homestay/hotels where possible

Day 0 - Take Bus from Delhi
Day 1 - Reach Narkanda in the morning. Visit Hatu Peak during day
Day 2 - Early bus from Narkanda to Rekong Peo / Kalpa . Go to monastery & Chandika Devi if time permits
Day 3 - Reckong Peo to Chitkul and see Chitkul
Day 4 - Chitkul to Sangla Valley and walk around the valley
Day 5 - Sangla to Reckong Peo to Nako
Day 6 - Nako monastery, lake
Day 7 - Nako to Gue village ( Mummy) to Tabo
Day 8 - Visit Tabo Monastery, ( caves if possible ?)
Day 9 - Tabo to Dhankar. Visit Monastery , (lake if possible ?)
Day 10 - Dhankar to Llalung - Trek or local transport ( if possible ?) If not Llalung then Dhankar to Demul
Day 11 - Llalung / Demul
Day 12 - Got to Kaza and be around Kaza
Day 13, 14 - Kaza to Reckong Peo to Shimla
Day 14 - Shimla to Delhi
Day 15,16 - Buffer

Some Questions:

1. I am used to high altitude trekking so have no issues staying in -10 to -15 weather. Are there any places where accommodation might be an issue ? I can do homestays also as I will have a 2 or 3 seasons sleeping bag
2. I read that travel to Dhankar and even Kaza is possible but is Llalung / Demul out of question or possible as I can walk/trek with my trekking bag for 10 kms.
3. I have Plan B in mind that I take few days and travel from Delhi to Kaza and then come down exploring places. But chances could be that Its more riskier than plan A as 15 days can make a lot of difference in weather and make exploring Kaza during March end still possible as compared to March 15 ( Plan A or B ?)
puns80

Re: Solo Trip - March

Postby dheerajsharma14 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:31 am

puns80 wrote:1st post here and looking forward to getting some good advice
Have an ambitious trip planned for 16 days from March 15 to March 31 from Delhi by local bus / shared cabs/walking and homestay/hotels where possible

Welcome to DoW Community Puneet and sorry for not replying earlier.

Day 0 - Take Bus from Delhi
Day 1 - Reach Narkanda in the morning. Visit Hatu Peak during day
Day 2 - Early bus from Narkanda to Rekong Peo / Kalpa . Go to monastery & Chandika Devi if time permits
Day 3 - Reckong Peo to Chitkul and see Chitkul
Day 4 - Chitkul to Sangla Valley and walk around the valley
Day 5 - Sangla to Reckong Peo to Nako
Day 6 - Nako monastery, lake
Day 7 - Nako to Gue village ( Mummy) to Tabo

I will suggest to avoid overnight stay at Nako in March as it will be cold and AMS can be an issue. Better stay at Chango after enquiring about the last bus or shared jeep to Chango in the day. Geyu road will be closed, so you can strike it off.

Day 8 - Visit Tabo Monastery, ( caves if possible ?)
Day 9 - Tabo to Dhankar. Visit Monastery , (lake if possible ?)

Lake won't be possible as it will be cold. This is where freezing region starts.
Day 10 - Dhankar to Llalung - Trek or local transport ( if possible ?) If not Llalung then Dhankar to Demul
Day 11 - Llalung / Demul

If trekking take care and do join some local in snow up there. Don't trek alone.
Day 12 - Got to Kaza and be around Kaza
Day 13, 14 - Kaza to Reckong Peo to Shimla
Day 14 - Shimla to Delhi
Day 15,16 - Buffer

Rest looks good.

Some Questions:

1. I am used to high altitude trekking so have no issues staying in -10 to -15 weather. Are there any places where accommodation might be an issue ? I can do homestays also as I will have a 2 or 3 seasons sleeping bag

Nako / Chango will be having IPH / PWD Rest house and you may need to search a bit for caretaker in the village.

2. I read that travel to Dhankar and even Kaza is possible but is Llalung / Demul out of question or possible as I can walk/trek with my trekking bag for 10 kms.

We were able to visit Lhalung in winters, March. So, hopeful that you will be able to do so.

3. I have Plan B in mind that I take few days and travel from Delhi to Kaza and then come down exploring places. But chances could be that Its more riskier than plan A as 15 days can make a lot of difference in weather and make exploring Kaza during March end still possible as compared to March 15 ( Plan A or B ?)

I will go with Plan A instead of Plan B
dheerajsharma14
Site Administrator

Postby puns80 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:55 am

Thanks Dheeraj for the reply.
There are some changes in plan as I now have 10 - 11 days

So I think I will be dropping Chitkul & Sangla sadly.
New Plan: Narkanda - Rekong Peo - Nako - Tabo - Dhankar - Llalung - Kaza and Back
Hope 10 to 11 days is enough

Based on your advice:
Will stay at Chango
Take a local to Llalung trek

Travelling between 10th and 20th :)
puns80

Postby dheerajsharma14 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:27 pm

puns80 wrote:Thanks Dheeraj for the reply.

New Plan: Narkanda - Rekong Peo - Nako - Tabo - Dhankar - Llalung - Kaza and Back

Based on your advice:
Will stay at Chango

That's fine, there is always a next time and Sangla - Chitkul can be done any other time too :D
dheerajsharma14
Site Administrator

Postby ankitdhimancr » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:05 pm

dheerajsharma14 wrote:
puns80 wrote:Thanks Dheeraj for the reply.

Based on your advice:
Will stay at Chango

That's fine, there is always a next time and Sangla - Chitkul can be done any other time too :D

Bro I want one help.
Can chandartal is possible???
When it will be opened??
ankitdhimancr

Postby aashish2137 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:31 pm

ankitdhimancr wrote:
dheerajsharma14 wrote:
puns80 wrote:When it will be opened??

Roads to Chandratal open around mid June.
Thank us by thanking yourself.
Participate with us on our ideas: Responsible Traveling | DoW Causes | Ladakh travel guide | DoW Calendar V2.0
aashish2137
Site Moderator

Postby puns80 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:32 pm

So did this amazing trip last week and it was really a white Spiti trip. Lot of snow at Narkanda, Peo, Kalpa, Dhankar & Kaza. Met very few tourists, probably around 7 - 8 of em on the whole thing. Whole trip was mostly with locals who kept wondering why I was there in March :)

Route: Delhi - Shimla - Peo - Kalpa - Tabo - Dhankar - Kaza - Peo - Shimla - Delhi.

Was able to get the Kaza bus on most days. Few days couldnt find the bus but locals gave lift.
Trekked from Peo to Kalpa with a local who took me through the shortcut and it was just 1 hour 15 minutes to Kalpa.
Stayed at Tabo monastery room which has been loaned out to a home stay nearby where you can eat as well. ladies were very accommodating with meals. Water is scarce in March
Also walked upto Dhankar from Schichling. Stayed at Rabsil Home Stay at Dhankar which at the top of the village, next to the fort. Gianchho and wife were such great hosts that I stayed for few days. He can be reached at 09418411224. They are mostly open whole year and welcome tourists even during off months like December & January too when they said temp fell to -20 to -30. Toilet was just a squat in a shed which could be the only issue, not sure how other home stays are. New monastery guest house was closed.
Kaza was a disappointment as the whole town seemed so commercial even in March and because of snow and it melting, it was a slush walking around. If you go to new monastery in new Kaza, there is a caretaker called Tenzing who makes food for all the monks. gem of a guy who gives tea to all visitors. Say hi if he around :)
Couldnt go further to Kye or Kibber as local transport leaves in the evening and returns next day morning. So I would have had to spend 2 more days and didnt have the time.
At Peo, stayed at Shambala Guest House near the bus stand. It was almost like a home stay as they have few rooms and its run by a husband wife and 2 young helpers. very helpful and homely though rooms can be better.
Couldnt go to Llahlung or Demul as there was a lot of snow

Pics: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 006&type=3

If anyone has queries, do let me know.
Next time, plan is to go to Dhankar and do the Pin Parvati trek or a circuit trek from Shimla - Manali - Kaza - Shimla
puns80

Postby dheerajsharma14 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:10 am

Thats wonderful Puneet !! Loved the pictures. Do post some more pictures of home stays too.
dheerajsharma14
Site Administrator

Postby meet1990 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:19 pm

puns80 wrote:So did this amazing trip last week and it was really a white Spiti trip. Lot of snow at Narkanda, Peo, Kalpa, Dhankar & Kaza. Met very few tourists, probably around 7 - 8 of em on the whole thing. Whole trip was mostly with locals who kept wondering why I was there in March :)

Route: Delhi - Shimla - Peo - Kalpa - Tabo - Dhankar - Kaza - Peo - Shimla - Delhi.

Was able to get the Kaza bus on most days. Few days couldnt find the bus but locals gave lift.
Trekked from Peo to Kalpa with a local who took me through the shortcut and it was just 1 hour 15 minutes to Kalpa.
Stayed at Tabo monastery room which has been loaned out to a home stay nearby where you can eat as well. ladies were very accommodating with meals. Water is scarce in March
Also walked upto Dhankar from Schichling. Stayed at Rabsil Home Stay at Dhankar which at the top of the village, next to the fort. Gianchho and wife were such great hosts that I stayed for few days. He can be reached at 09418411224. They are mostly open whole year and welcome tourists even during off months like December & January too when they said temp fell to -20 to -30. Toilet was just a squat in a shed which could be the only issue, not sure how other home stays are. New monastery guest house was closed.
Kaza was a disappointment as the whole town seemed so commercial even in March and because of snow and it melting, it was a slush walking around. If you go to new monastery in new Kaza, there is a caretaker called Tenzing who makes food for all the monks. gem of a guy who gives tea to all visitors. Say hi if he around :)
Couldnt go further to Kye or Kibber as local transport leaves in the evening and returns next day morning. So I would have had to spend 2 more days and didnt have the time.
At Peo, stayed at Shambala Guest House near the bus stand. It was almost like a home stay as they have few rooms and its run by a husband wife and 2 young helpers. very helpful and homely though rooms can be better.
Couldnt go to Llahlung or Demul as there was a lot of snow

Pics: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 006&type=3

If anyone has queries, do let me know.
Next time, plan is to go to Dhankar and do the Pin Parvati trek or a circuit trek from Shimla - Manali - Kaza - Shimla

I will be thankfull of you can advice me with the Itinerary To Spiti valley from Shimla -Kaza-Shimla
From 19 May to 27 May

Sent from my iPhone using Devil On Wheels Travel Community mobile app
meet1990

Postby dheerajsharma14 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:54 am

Koushal, are you planning for Spiti Valley or for Uttarakhand?
dheerajsharma14
Site Administrator

Next

Return to Lahaul, Spiti & Kinnaur Valley