Ladakh or Sikkim for May'2017 travel

Ask your queries about planning a trip to Sikkim, Arunachal, North East India & Bhutan or help other fellow travelers with their queries, in this forum.

Ladakh or Sikkim for May'2017 travel

Postby printha » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:23 pm

Hello,
I would like to check whether it's best to travel to Ladakh or Sikkim in May 2017? Planned travel dates is 28Apr-8May 2017 and we have options to either land in Delhi or Kolkata airport.

We are foreigners (Indian origin) in group of 3 ladies (with mom in 50's in the travel), is it all safe to travel to these places considering my mom in the travel? Hope the sifus could provide some inputs. Thanks in advance.

Regards, Printha

Sent from my iPhone using Devil On Wheels Travel Community mobile app
printha

Re: Ladakh or Sikkim for May'2017 travel

Postby printha » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:02 pm

Hello guys, could someone help me?

printha

Postby dheerajsharma14 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:19 am

printha wrote:Hello,
I would like to check whether it's best to travel to Ladakh or Sikkim in May 2017? Planned travel dates is 28Apr-8May 2017 and we have options to either land in Delhi or Kolkata airport.

We are foreigners (Indian origin) in group of 3 ladies (with mom in 50's in the travel), is it all safe to travel to these places considering my mom in the travel? Hope the sifus could provide some inputs. Thanks in advance.

Regards, Printha

Printha, sorry for delay in reply. Well for Sikkim @getpackingvinod and @soumen da are the best persons. However, Ladakh is beautiful in every season. You have good amount of days in hand and will make good time midst snowy mountain ranges.
dheerajsharma14
Site Administrator

Postby soumen230213 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:18 pm

Hello Printha, welcome to the forum. Yes you can plan for Sikkim in May and it's absolutely safe to be here. Though you may be restricted to visit some border areas, but there are a huge lot of places that can satisfy your needs.

Sent from my MI MAX using Devil On Wheels Travel Community mobile app
Thanks and Regards,
Soumen Bhowmick
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
“Live not for Battles Won.
Live not for The-End-of-the-Song.
Live in the along.”
soumen230213
DoW Core Team

Postby printha » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:54 pm

Thanks for the advice @dheerajsharma14 and @soumen da. We will head for Sikkim this round ;)

Soumen da could you help on the itinerary suggestion for us, planned to land at Bagdhora airport on 29th Apr noon and leave on 7th May. We would want to cover Darjeeling too and perhaps a off beaten track. Thanks a lot in advance

printha

Postby dheerajsharma14 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:56 am

Leaving it for Soumen da now :D
dheerajsharma14
Site Administrator

Postby soumen230213 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:02 pm

Good evening Printha,

28/04: Reach Siliguri and then drive to Kalimpong
29/04: Kalimpong
30/04: Kalimpong to Delo to Sillerygaon
01/05: Sillerygaon to Gangtok
02/05: Gangtok
03/05: Gangtok to Temi
04/05: Temi to Pelling
05/05: Pelling
06/05: Pelling to Darjeeling
07/05: Darjeeling
08/05: Darjeeling to Siliguri

Sent from my MI MAX using Devil On Wheels Travel Community mobile app
Last edited by soumen230213 on Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks and Regards,
Soumen Bhowmick
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Live in the along.”
soumen230213
DoW Core Team

Postby soumen230213 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:03 pm

Thanks and Regards,
Soumen Bhowmick
Live in the along.”
soumen230213
DoW Core Team

Postby dheerajsharma14 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:20 pm

printha wrote:Thanks for the advice @dheerajsharma14 and @soumen da. We will head for Sikkim this round ;)

Soumen da could you help on the itinerary suggestion for us, planned to land at Bagdhora airport on 29th Apr noon and leave on 7th May. We would want to cover Darjeeling too and perhaps a off beaten track. Thanks a lot in advance

Hope you got the reply, feel free to share any further questions you may have
dheerajsharma14
Site Administrator

Postby printha » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:05 pm

Sorry soumen da, work got hectic and I missed on this holiday planning but now time is ticking. I checked on a previous post whereby u suggested assashi ji on itinerary as below:

Darjeeling - Sikkim [Offbeat Route]

Day 1: Bagdogra to Sillerygaon. Sillerygaon is a serene and charming place. You can enjoy the sunrise and the Kanchanjunga from here too. Dilip Tamang is the best person to show you around here in the morning.

Day 2: Sillerygaon to Aritar. Enroute sightseeing at Pedong and other places. Aritar, the best part is the journey. You'll find a lot of places to stop. There's the lake where you can do some boating and there's the Mankhim view point atop the hill overlooking the lake and the Kanchanjunga in one frame.

Day 3: Aritar to Lingtam. Check in your hotel and the driver will arrange the permits for Silk route from Rongli. You can arrange Silk route permit while travelling from Aritar to Lingtham but sometimes it becomes a long wait.

Day 4: Lingtam-Zuluk-Gnathang-Old Baba Mandir-Elephant Lake-Kupup-Tsomgo Lake-Gangtok. This is the Silk route

Day 5: Gangtok local sightseeing and ride the rope-way. Also all the permits for North Sikkim will have to be arranged.

Day 6: Gangtok to Lachung

Day 7: Lachung-Yumthang-Mangan

Day 8: Sunrise view from Shingik (must overnight at Mangan) and drive to Pelling

Day 9: Pelling to Darjeeling and toy train ride (Batasia loop stop 5-10mins then to Ghum stop 5-10mins & return to Darjeeling. There is steam/diesel train depending on timing 8am,10.40am,11am,12pm,1.30pm,4.05pm)

Day 10: Tiger hill visit and drop at Badgora airport

I have few doubts;
1) can foreigners visit the Silk route? I'm keen to see Tsomgo lake since we can't go to Gurudongmar?

2) what about Zero point? Can we go as well? If yes then is it worth to go Lachung just for zero point or should I skip it?

3) I have 8-9days in hand for Darjeeling and Sikkim with 2days kept for transit in Kolkata. I'm landing on 28th Apr midnight in kolkata and haven't booked the domestic flights yet, considering night train from Kolkata to NJP as well

4) how do I get my permits arranged?

5) is it better to get a cab arranged for the itinerary or hop on shared vehicle? Im considering if we are carrying luggage bag or backpack.

If it's convenient to speak over the phone, pls pm me ur contact details. Thanks in advance

printha

Next

Return to Sikkim, Arunachal, North East India & Bhutan