Updates on Diesel Vehicles Ban on Rohtang Pass

Know or share about various kinds of news, updates regarding traveling to various parts of the Himalayas including road status as well as road conditions, in this forum.

Re: Updates on Diesel Vehicles Ban on Rohtang Pass

Postby Traveller20 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:27 am

Is the ban on vehicles applicable to bikes as well...i will be starting Manali Leh trip from 16 Aug so will I need to make an undertaking at SDM office and since 16 Aug would be sunday so will the office be open on Sunday as well and what are the office timmings to submit documents for this undertaking?Thanks for your response
Traveller20

Postby nitishkumar » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:33 am

Traveller20 wrote:Is the ban on vehicles applicable to bikes as well...i will be starting Manali Leh trip from 16 Aug so will I need to make an undertaking at SDM office and since 16 Aug would be sunday so will the office be open on Sunday as well and what are the office timmings to submit documents for this undertaking?Thanks for your response

Yes.. Since last order. Bikes are strictly banned. In june end my colleagues did went by bikes but post that Bikes were banned strictly.
nitishkumar
Tripper

Postby dheerajsharma14 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:11 pm

Traveller20 wrote:Is the ban on vehicles applicable to bikes as well...i will be starting Manali Leh trip from 16 Aug so will I need to make an undertaking at SDM office and since 16 Aug would be sunday so will the office be open on Sunday as well and what are the office timmings to submit documents for this undertaking?Thanks for your response

Yes, bikes are banned. You can get all details and process at the link: http://devilonwheels.com/rohtang-pass-rules-restriction-of-vehicles-demystified/
dheerajsharma14
Site Administrator

Postby Traveller20 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:43 pm

Thanks for your replies guys..another thing will this office be open on Sunday as well ............also I see that the timmings for the office are from 10 AM to 1PM to submit the papers so can somebody else submit this papers on my behalf(while i m still driving to Manali) or do they have to see the bike in person and then only do they give permit...Also do I need to make bookings for my entire duration in Leh or even if i show them 1 single days booking that would also suffice or can I just get away without showing any bookings also??
Thanks in advance for taking time out to answer these queries
Traveller20

Postby dheerajsharma14 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:27 am

Traveller20 wrote:Thanks for your replies guys..another thing will this office be open on Sunday as well ............also I see that the timmings for the office are from 10 AM to 1PM to submit the papers so can somebody else submit this papers on my behalf(while i m still driving to Manali) or do they have to see the bike in person and then only do they give permit...Also do I need to make bookings for my entire duration in Leh or even if i show them 1 single days booking that would also suffice or can I just get away without showing any bookings also??

Yes, the office remains open on sunday for permits AFAIK. You need to send the papers, DL, RC, Insurance and PUC. They will give the permit. One booking will be enough and most times it is not asked for.
dheerajsharma14
Site Administrator

Postby Traveller20 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:22 pm

dheerajsharma14 wrote:
Traveller20 wrote:Thanks for your replies guys..another thing will this office be open on Sunday as well ............also I see that the timmings for the office are from 10 AM to 1PM to submit the papers so can somebody else submit this papers on my behalf(while i m still driving to Manali) or do they have to see the bike in person and then only do they give permit...Also do I need to make bookings for my entire duration in Leh or even if i show them 1 single days booking that would also suffice or can I just get away without showing any bookings also??

Yes, the office remains open on sunday for permits AFAIK. You need to send the papers, DL, RC, Insurance and PUC. They will give the permit. One booking will be enough and most times it is not asked for.

Thanks a lot dheeraj...so do I need to show them the original papers or can I send Xerox of these docs to a friend in manali n get this permit before I arrive there...also as per the post the office opens at 10 am so if I show the docs can I get the permit instantly or does it take much time...also can you please share the address the office as well...thanks a lot!

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
Traveller20

Postby dheerajsharma14 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:18 am

Anuj, I think copies may work. BUT it is not an instant process, it takes sometime, couple of hours type mostly. You will be lucky to get it instantly. Some here and there rounds are expected. The SDM Office will give the permit in your case.
dheerajsharma14
Site Administrator

Postby dheerajsharma14 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:32 pm

Update on 17th August 2015
The upper cap relaxation has been banned now for Rohtang Pass and now no vehicles including petrol and diesel are banned to go to Rohtang Pass from Manali for tourist activities. Now, tourists can only visit Rohtang Pass from Manali in state run public and tourist buses as they will only be allowed to travel to Rohtang Pass from Manali. Lahaul - Spiti and Leh - Ladakh based vehicles are exempted from this rule and should continue to follow the permit process as defined for them. Along with the vehicles, the NGT tribunal has also banned horse-riding, snow-biking, paragliding and plying of snow scooters at Rohtang, Solang and Marhi and also ordered closure of eateries and kiosks.

Main first post has been updated with the updated rule and news too.

Read more below
Manali, August 17
The Himachal Pradesh government has allowed only state-run buses to ply across the majestic Rohtang Pass as it imposed a complete ban on diesel and petrol vehicles for tourists to check environmental degradation.
The development came with the expiry of relaxation given by the National Green Tribunal (NGT).
On the tribunal's directive, only CNG and electrical vehicles would be allowed to travel towards the pass, overlooking the picturesque tourist resort of Manali. This step, it said, will help in checking environmental degradation.
Kullu Deputy Commissioner Rakesh Kanwar told IANS that the ban would not be applicable on the vehicles bound for Lahaul-Spiti district and Ladakh in Jammu and Kashmir via Rohtang Pass.
The state-run buses were allowed to ply across the Rohtang Pass, a major attraction for both domestic and foreign tourists and located 52 km from Manali.
So, the tourists can travel in Himachal Road Transport Corporation buses, which starts its bus service daily from Manali at 4 am and continue till 2 pm
Kanwar said strict action would be initiated against the motorists who are found visiting the Rohtang Pass on the pretext of visiting Lahaul-Spiti or Ladakh.
The tribunal has also banned horse-riding, snow-biking, paragliding and plying of snow scooters at Rohtang, Solang and Marhi and also ordered closure of eateries and kiosks.
It said the ban on tourist activity would help check environmental degradation and melting of the glaciers in the region which were receding at the rate of 20 metres a year since 1986.
Initially, the tribunal had banned all type of tourist vehicles. Later, it had relaxed its order for three months, limiting the entry of diesel and petrol tourist vehicles to the Rohtang Pass to 1,000 per day. The relaxation ended on August 15.
The tribunal, which has listed the case for next hearing on September 17, asked the state government to discuss with the GAIL or any other agency to supply CNG for the vehicles in Manali.
External Source: Only state-run buses for tourists to visit Rohtang Pass
dheerajsharma14
Site Administrator

Postby mosederbaer » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:48 pm

A little bit off topic but would like to mention here. In our recent visit to chandratal, our driver told that the locals has given a different name to NGT (National Green tribune) which is "Nau Gaon Tabaah". It means nine villages destroyed. There are nine villages from manali to rohtang and NGT orders have badly effected them considering their livelihood....
Travel is never a matter of money, only spirit
mosederbaer
DoW Core Team

Postby nitishkumar » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:57 pm

mosederbaer wrote:A little bit off topic but would like to mention here. In our recent visit to chandratal, our driver told that the locals has given a different name to NGT (National Green tribune) which is "Nau Gaon Tabaah". It means nine villages destroyed. There are nine villages from manali to rohtang and NGT orders have badly effected them considering their livelihood....

Been saying since a while. The current regime of NGT is destructive and egoistic in their approach and putting random enforcements leaving no leeways or step by step process
nitishkumar
Tripper

Previous

Return to Travel News & Updates