Manali - Leh Highway Status 2017 - 2018

Know or share about various road status and road conditions across various parts of the Himalayas, in this forum.

Rohtang Pass opens for 2017 - 18 for vehicular traffic

Postby dheerajsharma14 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:07 pm

Rohtang Pass has been opened for vehicular traffic today. On Manali - Leh Highway, BRO has reached beyond Patseo towards Baralacha La pass. Manali - Leh Highway is expected to be opened by 25th May.

After the opening of the 13,050-ft-high Rohtang Pass for all vehicles today, the 474 km-long Manali-Leh highway will open to traffic by May 25 as the Border Roads Organisation (BRO) is now putting all efforts to clear snow from the Keylong-Sarchu highway.
Mohan Lal, Chief Engineer, Project Deepak of BRO, today visited the Rohtang Pass and took stock of the progress of snow-clearance on the Manali-Sarchu highway. He applauded the officers and jawans engaged in the snow clearance, who opened the Manali-Keylong highway before the target.
The Chief Engineer discussed strategy to clear snow from the Keylong-Sarchu and Gramphu-Kaza (Spiti) road with the 38 Border Road Task Force. He said BRO jawans were moving towards the Baralacha Pass with a rapid speed and had cleared the road till 162-km beyond Patseo. The Tandi- Sansari road has already opened to vehicles.
He said the BRO would continue to maintain the road to the Rohtang Pass even after the completion of the Rohtang tunnel. “The Kunzum Pass area has thick layers of snow. The Gramphu-Kaza road over the Kunzum Pass is expected to open by June end,” he said.
After snow clearance, the BRO will widen the roads and carry out maintenance works. The road is sinking at many places.
The Chief Engineer said soon the entire 222-km-long Manali-Sarchu highway would be converted into double-lane road. The opening of the Rohtang Pass was not easy this year due to thick snow accumulation and inclement weather conditions. He said the region had experienced many avalanches and landslides recently posing a challenge to the jawans.
He said the road till the Rohtang Pass had been opened by the BRO. “Now it will be decided by the administration that whether tourists should be allowed to the area or not. There is still risk of avalanches and landslides and proper monitoring is essential to avoid any untoward incident,” he added. Meanwhile, goods carriers from Kullu have started ferrying fresh vegetables and other goods to the Lahaul valley which got road connectivity after a gap of four months.
BRO official reviews progress
The 474 km-long Manali-Leh highway will open to the traffic by May 25 as the Border Roads Organisation (BRO) is now putting all efforts to clear snow from the Keylong-Sarchu highway.
Mohan Lal, Chief Engineer, Project Deepak of BRO, on Friday visited the Rohtang Pass and took stock of the progress of snow-clearance on the Manali-Sarchu highway.
He said the BRO would continue to maintain the road to the Rohtang Pass even after the completion of the Rohtang tunnel.
"The Kunzum Pass area has thick layers of snow. The Gramphu-Kaza road over the Kunzum Pass is expected to open by June end," he said.

External Source: Rohtang opened, Leh road’s turn now
dheerajsharma14
Site Administrator

Re: Manali - Leh Highway Status 2017 - 2018

Postby dheerajsharma14 » Mon May 01, 2017 8:39 am

shubhamthakkar wrote:Hello Sir,
I am planning for srinagar(8th June)-kargil-leh(10June)-manali(19th or 20th june). Is it possible to do it??
Please suggest if it is possible or not and please provide me with suggestions.
Thanks in advance.

Both roads will be open by that time to Ladakh
dheerajsharma14
Site Administrator

Postby kapilmittal007 » Tue May 02, 2017 11:10 am

I followed your blog last time in 2013 when i visit leh? it helped a lot and i admire you for this act. A lot was missed on last trip this time i want to be get done. i have some queries

Can we move in a SUV from manali to leh? my question is regarding permission from the officials? if yes what is the procedure?
Is there any road between nubra valley to pangong tso direct? what is its status and can a safari strom is appropriate?
Is there a direct road between pangong and tsomoriri ? is it advisable to travel on these two roads
we are 5 buddies all males.

Please reply

Kapil
kapilmittal007

Postby mosederbaer » Tue May 02, 2017 3:48 pm

Can we move in a SUV from manali to leh? my question is regarding permission from the officials? if yes what is the procedure?

Yes you can unless your vehicle is not older than 10 years. You will need to get a permit from SDM office in manali which will be required to cross rohtang pass.

Is there any road between nubra valley to pangong tso direct? what is its status and can a safari strom is appropriate?
Is there a direct road between pangong and tsomoriri ? is it advisable to travel on these two roads

Kindly visit these links for complete information about these direct routes.

http://devilonwheels.com/tips-for-nubra ... ect-route/
http://devilonwheels.com/tips-pangong-t ... ect-route/
Travel is never a matter of money, only spirit
mosederbaer
DoW Core Team

Postby dheerajsharma14 » Wed May 03, 2017 9:02 am

Anil bhai has guided you in right direction.
dheerajsharma14
Site Administrator

only 800 vehicles to get the permit to travel to Leh - Ladak

Postby dheerajsharma14 » Fri May 05, 2017 8:35 am

Starting this season, only 800 vehicles to get the permit to travel to Leh - Ladakh or Lahaul - Spiti via Rohtang Pass ...

I know it is a bummer but yeah, it's true that this year onward, a daily upper cap of 800 vehicles will be enforced for all the vehicles crossing beyond Rohtang Pass to travel to Ladakh and Lahaul & Spiti Valley. Please note that there is no split of the ratio between petrol or diesel vehicles in permit type. This permit will also be available online and congestion charges of Rs 50 need to be paid for it. Earlier, there was no limit on the permit for vehicles going beyond Rohtang Pass to Ladakh & Lahaul - Spiti Valley.

Read more below:
MANALI: A limited number of vehicles will be allowed to visit Lahaul and Ladakh from Manali as the administration has decided to limit the daily quota of tourist vehicles to 800. Besides, they will have to obtain the permit online after paying congestion charges of Rs 50 per vehicle.

External Source: Now, only 800 tourist vehicles will visit Lahaul, Ladakh daily
dheerajsharma14
Site Administrator

Postby Vicky1989 » Fri May 05, 2017 1:08 pm

Hi Sir,

Do we need a permit for Bikes as well to travel to Leh - Ladakh or Lahaul - Spiti via Rohtang Pass . Thanks in Advance.
Vicky1989

Postby dheerajsharma14 » Fri May 05, 2017 4:18 pm

Vicky1989 wrote:Hi Sir,

Do we need a permit for Bikes as well to travel to Leh - Ladakh or Lahaul - Spiti via Rohtang Pass . Thanks in Advance.

Since it is for vehicles, I Assume the permit limit will have bikes too. Bikes also must have permit and pay congestion fee to cross Rohtang Pass
dheerajsharma14
Site Administrator

Postby Juzarthesailor » Fri May 05, 2017 4:20 pm

Dheeraj also is it needed for people who r coming around fr leh to Manali crossing rohtang.?
Juzarthesailor

Postby pruthvi » Fri May 05, 2017 6:40 pm

Hi Dheeraj, I'm planning travel from Leh to Manali on my return leg. Night halt is planned in Sarchu. Can you help me with accommodation options that are available there and cost. Do you suggest to make a booking before going there.

And 1 more thing, I'm unable to figure out a way to carry petrol for Tso moriri. Leh - Tso - Sarchu - Manali is becoming 700+kms and my thirst bike will require additional 16-18lts. How do people do this stretch on bike?
Rider, Traveler, Explorer
pruthvi

PreviousNext

Return to Road Status & Conditions