Manali - Leh Highway Status 2016 - 2017

Know or share about various road status and road conditions across various parts of the Himalayas, in this forum.

Re: Manali - Leh Highway Status 2016 - 2017

Postby shubhamearly » Fri May 20, 2016 7:06 pm

dheerajsharma14 wrote:Manali - Leh Highway is through and cleared of snow but not yet opened for tourists... There are camp sites at Sarchu who have left to pitch camps. So, soon the opening of Manali - Leh is expected, assuming formalities do not take much time to complete especially to abide the guidelines for Rohtang Pass.

Sent from my iPhone using Devil On Wheels Travel Community mobile app

Thanks Dheeraj Bhai for the update.

Sent from my MotoE2 using Tapatalk
shubhamearly

Postby MohidSayed » Fri May 20, 2016 9:31 pm

dheerajsharma14 wrote:Manali - Leh Highway is through and cleared of snow but not yet opened for tourists... There are camp sites at Sarchu who have left to pitch camps. So, soon the opening of Manali - Leh is expected, assuming formalities do not take much time to complete especially to abide the guidelines for Rohtang Pass.

Hi dheeraj- that's awesome news. Could you please help me suggest if online permits r sorted enough to travel with? Or do we need to take from manali ?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Devil On Wheels Travel Community mobile app
MohidSayed

Postby mosederbaer » Fri May 20, 2016 9:53 pm

MohidSayed wrote:

Hi dheeraj- that's awesome news. Could you please help me suggest if online permits r sorted enough to travel with? Or do we need to take from manali ?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Devil On Wheels Travel Community mobile app

Online permits are enough to pass through rohtang from manali side.

Sent from my Lenovo K50a40 using Devil On Wheels Travel Community mobile app
Travel is never a matter of money, only spirit
mosederbaer
DoW Core Team

Postby Sukesh » Fri May 20, 2016 11:42 pm

getpackingvinod wrote:
Sukesh wrote:Hi Dheeraj,

We are group 9 people from bangalore, planning 8 days trip to leh-ladkh(+2day for travel).
I have drafted an itinery, Can you just review and let us know for any suggestions?

DAY1:(June 17) Bangalore to Delhi. Evening around 7 pm bus to Manali.

DAY2:(June 18) Take bikes. Roam in and around Manali.

DAY3:(June 19) Manali -> Rohtang Pass -> Keylong -> Jispa (Stay in Jispa or Keylong)

DAY4:(June 20) Jispa -> Baralacha La -> Sarchu Pass -> Lachulung La -> Pang (stay)

DAY5:(June 21) Pang -> Taglang La -> Pangong Lake (stay)

DAY6:(June 22) Pangong Lake -> Leh (stay) + in and around Leh [Khardung La, Magnetic Hills]

DAY7:(June 23) Leh -> Pang or Sarchu

DAY8:(June 24) Pang/Sarchu -> Keylong

DAY9:(June 25) Keylong -> Manali (We have to reach by 4pm)

DAY10:(June 26) Reach Delhi by 11 am. Fly back to NAMMA BENGALURU!!!

Please suggest if any good places we missed?

After reading your http://devilonwheels.com/5-reasons-to-c ... -leh-road/, I got confused whether to start from srinagar or manali. Can you suggest some brief plan from srinagar with same dates? Is there any bike renter, who rent bike one way, if yes how much extra will it cost?

Thanks,
Sukesh

Sukesh, apologies for reverting late.

I'd make the following changes to your itinerary :

On June 20, head directly to leh instead of staying in Pang.

Please do not make the mistake of heading to Pangong Tso on Day 3 - you will not be sufficiently acclimatized and this may prove to be fatal.

You've also asked if you've missed some good places - the fact is that you have indeed missed many places, but with the number of days in hand, you can't cover more than this.

Starting from Srinagar means you will spend two days to reach Leh, plus one more day for acclimatization. One way bike rental will be an expensive affair.

Also do note that bikes rented from either Manali or Srinagar are not permitted for sight seeing in Ladakh

Thank you Deeraj.

I have few more queries.

1) Do we need to take any permit in manali? if yes, could you please share the details(place and timings)?

2) Can we get good accommodations & food on the way & return? We are not going through any package, so can we find accommodation easily? or any prior booking is necessary?

3) I am thinking of taking cab from manali to leh and hire a bike in leh to roam around. I found there are some cabs are available for one way journey. I want to know how many days it will take to reach leh? and what will be the approximate cost including all permit & other things?
Let me know your opinion on this.

Thanks,
Sukesh
Sukesh

Postby laluabhishek » Sat May 21, 2016 5:02 am

shubhamearly wrote:
laluabhishek wrote:Hi Guys,

Can you please share the link for Manali-Leh Highway Permit online.

Thanks,
Abhishek Maheshwari

Here is the link for Online Permit for Rohtang Pass
http://admis.hp.nic.in/ngtkullu

Hi Shubham,
This permit is also valid for going beyond Rohtang?
laluabhishek

Postby pkansal » Sat May 21, 2016 11:08 am

BRO announces to open Manali-Leh highway from May 22

The strategic Manali-Leh highway which was closed for traffic in November last year following heavy snowfall will be opened for vehicular movement on Sunday (May 22), a BRO official told Discover Leh Ladakh.

Snow from the entire length of highway has been cleared and the traffic will be allowed after minor surfacing works. Last year the highway was opened for traffic on June 13, but this year the road is opening little earlier due to less snowfall compared to last year. Border Roads Organization (BRO) is responsible for maintenance of the 474km-long Manali-Leh highway and BRO’s 38 Border Road Task Force (BRTF) maintains the road till Sarchu, 222km from here. While the road between Sarchu and Leh was already opened due to less snowfall in Ladakh region, opening the highway between Manali and Sarchu is the most tedious task due to heavy snowfall in the region.

“Snow has been cleared from Manali-Sarchu highway and we are now engaged in maintenance of damaged portions. Traffic can move on the highway from May 22,” 38 BRTF commander Colonel KP Rajendra Kumar said. He added that the condition of road between Rohtang and Koksar and Sarchu and Baralacha pass is being improved. “We shall be working for next one week to improve the road surface condition.”

Source:http://discoverlehladakh.in/manali_leh_road_status_2016.htm

Thus, highway is expected to open from May 22, but good road conditions will be there from somewhere around May 29.

Also I want to ask whether the same permit available online for rohtang pass will be applicable for manali-leh highway or a different permit will be issued for the same.

Thanks,
Pulkit
pkansal

Postby mosederbaer » Sat May 21, 2016 11:46 am

@pkansal brother, thanks for sharing this here. There is only one permit which can be obtained online or from manali. This is just required to access and cross rohtang pass from manali side. Once you pass through it, there is no other permit needed to go either to leh side or to kaza side. :)
Travel is never a matter of money, only spirit
mosederbaer
DoW Core Team

Postby getpackingvinod » Sat May 21, 2016 9:14 pm

Sukesh wrote:
Thank you Deeraj.

I have few more queries.

1) Do we need to take any permit in manali? if yes, could you please share the details(place and timings)?

2) Can we get good accommodations & food on the way & return? We are not going through any package, so can we find accommodation easily? or any prior booking is necessary?

3) I am thinking of taking cab from manali to leh and hire a bike in leh to roam around. I found there are some cabs are available for one way journey. I want to know how many days it will take to reach leh? and what will be the approximate cost including all permit & other things?
Let me know your opinion on this.

Thanks,
Sukesh

You'll need a permit from Manali to cross Rohtang and onwards. However, if you are taking a taxi, the driver will arrange for it and you need not worry.

Yes, accommodation on Manali Leh highway is easy to get. You have concrete structures in Keylong & Jispa and after that, in Sarchu and Pang in camps / Dhabas. Food will be available in Dhabas, should not be a problem.

Usually, Manali to Leh Drop will be around 20000 for the entire taxi. Negotiate hard. There are also shared taxis that go to Leh from Manali and you can get a seat on that if you are alone. It'll take two days to reach Leh from Manali i.e, If you leave Manali early morning, you will reach Leh the next day late evening. There are also taxis that do a cannon ball run to Leh without stopping anywhere, but it is not good for your body from acclimatization perspective.

I would definitely suggest taking a public / shared transport upto Leh and hiring a bike for sightseeing in Leh
getpackingvinod
DoW Core Team

Postby dheerajsharma14 » Sun May 22, 2016 6:36 pm

Manali - Leh is unofficially open now, some taxis have reached Leh. Just got a confirmation from Leh taxi guys...

Rohtang pass permits to travel beyond rohtang pass will be given from Sdm office in manali till the time the time they are not made available online. The fees is Rs 50 congestion charges.

Rented bikes are banned to travel to leh ladakh and Spiti valley as they are not commercial vehicles as per notice below

dheerajsharma14
Site Administrator

Postby zerodecibelnirvanaa » Sun May 22, 2016 6:53 pm

Thanks for sharing this!

This gets my craving to take a 2 wheeler and additional 550 kilometers more from Delhi :D
Jokes apart, this is going to hit the bike rental business in Manali a big stride! Not a welcome step certainly.
For the love of this incredibly beautiful India

Love,
Zero Decibel Nirvana
#HimalayanWadia
zerodecibelnirvanaa

PreviousNext

Return to Road Status & Conditions