Srinagar - Leh Highway Status 2015 - 2016

Know or share about various road status and road conditions across various parts of the Himalayas, in this forum.

Re: Srinagar - Leh Highway Status 2015 - 2016

Postby dheerajsharma14 » Thu May 07, 2015 10:32 pm

GOOD NEWS: Srinagar - Leh Highway is open for traffic now for light motor vehicles.

Read More Below:

Srinagar, May 7 2015: The Srinagar-Leh national highway was on Thursday reopened for traffic after remaining closed for five months due to heavy snowfall.

It was closed for traffic in January this year following heavy snowfall in Sonamarg, Zojila Pass, Zero point and Meenmarg areas of the road.

Snow clearance operation along the road had got delayed due to fresh snowfall in March and April.

"The Srinagar-Leh national highway was thrown open for traffic today (Thursday). Only light motor vehicles will be allowed to ply on the highway on trial basis for the time being," a Border Roads Organization (BRO) official told IANS.

The 434-km long strategic highway is the only surface link of the Ladakh region with the rest of the state.

BRO authorities managing the highway had launched snow clearance operation from Drass (on Ladakh side) and Sonamarg (on valley side) simultaneously, officials said.

Srinagar-Leh road acts as lifeline of Kargil district in Ladakh region which remains snowbound for most of the time due to accumulation of snow on Zojila pass that connects the area with the Kashmir Valley.

The central government has already approved a tunnel at Zojila to make the highway an all-weather road so that Ladakh region remains connected with Kashmir throughout the year.

The road is only one of the two highways that connect Ladakh with rest of the country, the other being Leh-Manali Highway.
External Source: Srinagar-Leh highway reopens after five months

The highway, connecting the Ladakh region with the rest of the Jammu and Kashmir, reopened Thursday after remaining closed during the past five months due to accumulation of five to ten feet of snow.

However, only light vehicles were allowed on trial basis, official sources said.

They said light vehicles were allowed from Meenmarg towards Sonmarg as snow on the road had been cleared.

However, vehicles had to cross through big walls of snow on both sides, they said.

Similarly, light vehicles will also be allowed from Sonmarg to Meenmarg if weather permits and provided all vehicles, which had left Meenmarg, cross Zojila pass this side this afternoon.

Decision to allow heavy vehicles will be taken only after it will be assured that there was no threat of snow avalanches because of traffic movement in avalanche prone area on the highway. The highway was closed officially due to slippery road conditions December last year though some vehicles were plying because of dry weather.

However, the highway got closed due to snowall in January this year which was followed by heavy snow in Sonmarg, Zojila, Zero point and Meenmarg. The Beacon authorities launched snow clearance operation from Drass, the second coldest place in the world after Siberia and Sonmarg side simultaneously.

When visited the Zojila pass recently saw huge snow walls on both sides of the road. The Centre has already approved a tunnel at Zojila to make an it all weather road so that Ladakh remain connected with Kashmir throughout the year.

Meanwhile, the divisional authorities are making arrangements to rush essentials, including food, vegetables, building material, petrol, diesel and LPG cylinders to different parts of the Ladakh region, which remained cut off during the past five months. However, government has stored essentials at different far flung and remote areas besides at Leh and Kargil district headquarters before the closure of the road.
External Source: Srinagar- Ladakh highway re-opens for traffic after five months
dheerajsharma14
Site Administrator

Postby dheerajsharma14 » Thu May 07, 2015 10:46 pm

ankurarora wrote:
getpackingvinod wrote:
ankurarora wrote:Hi,
I am new to this forum, so just wanted an advice by you experienced guys out there !
Me and my friends are planning for a Leh-Ladakh trip during September end-October beginning.
I was wondering if someone could tell me, if the Srinagar-Leh highway is commutable during that time or not ?

Thanks,
Ankur

You shouldn't have too many problems that time. But please do note that it is almost end of season during your planned visit. The highway will most likely be open

You say it will be almost end of season, so is it not a proper time to visit ?
We actually want to go when it starts to get cooler again.

You are traveling in good time, dont worry it will have beautiful colors :) :)
dheerajsharma14
Site Administrator

Postby dheerajsharma14 » Thu May 07, 2015 10:50 pm

kunalgandhi wrote:Hi Mosederbaer, thanks a lot for the reply bro..
I will take the liberty to bug you a lil more with couple of queries..
1. I have rescheduled my dates from 24th May(early Morning) to 5th June(late night)..giving me a time frame of 13 days..will it still be a stretch? :roll:

It shall be good to go. Consider the most common itinerary we suggest: http://devilonwheels.com/index.php/most-common-itinerary-for-leh-ladakh/

2. I have finalized Pulsar 220 as my vehicle(read: weapon) of choice :geek: ..is that wise enough or are there better choices?

Good enough, the comfort you are the better it is.

3. I was thinking of entering into a buy back arrangement with the guy who is renting me the bike so that I dont have to change the bike in Ladakh. Also, and i quote what he said, as per him there has been a stay order passed on the order that Non HP rented vehicles wont be allowed from Manali to Leh. How correct is this?

NonHP Vehicles are not allowed to travel on Manali to Rohtang Pass for almost couple of years now. You need to pay a congestion charge of Rs 50 as toll ticket and it is sorted. Also, the vehicles coming from Leh to Manali side dont even have to pay this as the rule is only in direction from Manali to Rohtang Pass :)

4. Also, is there any realistic probability of Leh to Manali route opening by last week of May 2015? I ask this because I am already fantasizing about seeing the Gata loops with my open eyes which will not be possible in case this route is closed.

Updated the Manali - Leh status thread today. BRO has quoted 15th June for opening of Manali - Leh Highway :(
dheerajsharma14
Site Administrator

Postby Shivendra009 » Thu May 07, 2015 11:13 pm

Wow , Great news for Ladakh lovers... :D
Wanderer :D
Shivendra009
Wanderer

Postby shahdhaval22 » Fri May 08, 2015 3:35 pm

Srinagar: The Srinagar-Leh national highway was on Thursday reopened for traffic after remaining closed for five months due to heavy snowfall.

It was closed for traffic in January this year following heavy snowfall in Sonamarg, Zojila Pass, Zero point and Meenmarg areas of the road.

Snow clearance operation along the road had got delayed due to fresh snowfall in March and April.

"The Srinagar-Leh national highway was thrown open for traffic today (Thursday). Only light motor vehicles will be allowed to ply on the highway on trial basis for the time being," a Border Roads Organization (BRO) official told IANS.

The 434-km long strategic highway is the only surface link of the Ladakh region with the rest of the state.

BRO authorities managing the highway had launched snow clearance operation from Drass (on Ladakh side) and Sonamarg (on valley side) simultaneously, officials said.

Srinagar-Leh road acts as lifeline of Kargil district in Ladakh region which remains snowbound for most of the time due to accumulation of snow on Zojila pass that connects the area with the Kashmir Valley.

The central government has already approved a tunnel at Zojila to make the highway an all-weather road so that Ladakh region remains connected with Kashmir throughout the year.

The road is only one of the two highways that connect Ladakh with rest of the country, the other being Leh-Manali Highway.

http://zeenews.india.com/news/jammu-and ... 91687.html
shahdhaval22

Postby tutenchamon11 » Fri May 15, 2015 2:16 am

Dear Friends,

We would like to go from Srinagar to Leh starting from 26 May buy bus. Do you know if the road is open now ?

Or the second solution, to fly from Jammu to Leh 25.05 , stay in Lah about one week then return by bus Leh-Srinagar - Amristar. Will the road be open at the begining of Jun?
From Amiristar we have plane on 08.06. What is better option ? Tomorrow we have to make decision and buy the tickets.

I will be very appreciate for your help.
Anna
tutenchamon11

Postby dheerajsharma14 » Fri May 15, 2015 8:43 am

Currently on light vehicles will be allowed to more from Sonamarg in the morning hours while light vehicles from other side of the Zojila pass that is from Drass will be allowed to move towards Sonamarg in the afternoon hrs of the day. Here is the timings:

Sonamarg to Drass: 6 AM - 10 AM
Drass to Sonamarg: 3 PM Onwards
Army Convoys: 10 AM - 1 PM
Maintenance, Road Closed: 1 PM - 3 PM
dheerajsharma14
Site Administrator

Postby dheerajsharma14 » Fri May 15, 2015 8:49 am

tutenchamon11 wrote:Dear Friends,

We would like to go from Srinagar to Leh starting from 26 May buy bus. Do you know if the road is open now ?

Or the second solution, to fly from Jammu to Leh 25.05 , stay in Lah about one week then return by bus Leh-Srinagar - Amristar. Will the road be open at the begining of Jun?
From Amiristar we have plane on 08.06. What is better option ? Tomorrow we have to make decision and buy the tickets.

I will be very appreciate for your help.
Anna

Anna, the road is just open for light vehicles as of now only. Buses are not plying on it. You will get the shared taxi though to Kargil and from there buses should be plying to Leh from Kargil. In case the heavy vehicles are also allowed by that time, we will update it here too. You can go by bus in that case. So, you can go to Leh by Srinagar as the road is open. However, if you can take a plane to Leh from Jammu and the budget is not a concern then I will suggest that you go ahead with it and come back by road from Srinagar - Leh Highway because by that time road conditions will be settled / stable as well and will have less risky conditions.
dheerajsharma14
Site Administrator

Srinagar-Leh question

Postby pandora » Mon May 18, 2015 4:34 pm

Hi,

I would like to find a shared taxi to travel Srinagar-Kargil spend the night and then do the Kargil -Leh trip.
What is the best way of finding a reputable taxi for this?

Also, how bad is the condition of the Srinagar-Leh highway right now?
I get car sick quite easily, is this road very bouncy and full of tight turns? Is it a tarred road or dirt all the way?

Thanks for your replies and advice
Pandora
pandora

Re: Srinagar-Leh question

Postby aashish2137 » Tue May 19, 2015 11:37 am

pandora wrote:Hi,

I would like to find a shared taxi to travel Srinagar-Kargil spend the night and then do the Kargil -Leh trip.
What is the best way of finding a reputable taxi for this?

Also, how bad is the condition of the Srinagar-Leh highway right now?
I get car sick quite easily, is this road very bouncy and full of tight turns? Is it a tarred road or dirt all the way?

Thanks for your replies and advice
Pandora

@pandora, there is no such reputable shared taxi. Most of the taxis are owned by the drivers. You will have to catch one on the spot.

Yes the road is bumpy and full of tight turns in places. There are good stretches too but can assure an uneasy journey for travel sick people!
Thank us by thanking yourself.
Participate with us on our ideas: Responsible Traveling | DoW Causes | Ladakh travel guide | DoW Calendar V2.0
aashish2137
Explorer

PreviousNext

Return to Road Status & Conditions