Srinagar - Leh Highway Status 2014

Know or share about various road status and road conditions across various parts of the Himalayas, in this forum.

Re: Srinagar - Leh Highway Status 2014

Postby ravish » Tue May 06, 2014 2:50 pm

i am planning a trip to leh around 16 may. Will the Srinagr-Leh road be opened at that time? :arrow: :oops:

Mod note: Please use appropriate topic to ask your queries. Launch, vision & focus is not the appropriate topic to check road status.
Last edited by dheerajsharma14 on Thu May 08, 2014 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: corrected the title
ravish

Postby aashish2137 » Tue May 06, 2014 5:21 pm

ravish wrote:i am planning a trip to leh around 16 may. Will the Srinagr-Leh road be opened at that time? :arrow: :oops:

Mod note: Please use appropriate topic to ask your queries. Launch, vision & focus is not the appropriate topic to check road status.

It should. The route is open already but BRO is checking it for avalanches. I expect it to open for traffic any day now.
Thank us by thanking yourself.
Participate with us on our ideas: Responsible Traveling | DoW Causes | Ladakh travel guide | DoW Calendar V2.0
aashish2137
Explorer

Re: Srinagar - Leh highway

Postby Saroj29 » Thu May 08, 2014 11:17 am

Saroj29 wrote:Dear Dheeraj
We r reaching Srinagar on 15thMay and scheduled to travel to Leh on 20th May on 21st May spending 1 night at Kargil… We hope the Srinagar Leh road is opended by then… Please comment….
Also if road is not opened then what would be the option . Plz advise.we r Group of six
Thanx
Saroj29 wrote:Dear Dheeraj
We r reaching Srinagar on 15thMay and scheduled to travel to Leh on 20th May on 21st May spending 1 night at Kargil… We hope the Srinagar Leh road is opended by then… Please comment….
Also if road is not opened then what would be the option . Plz advise.we r Group of six
Thanx

Thank you v much Dheeraj for providing such a great information . My another query is i want to contribute in dow causes . Interested in distributing stationary items to local children in Ladakh during my visit there . Or any other such items for underprivileged children in remote place like Ladakh, dying to see that smile on their faces. from where can i purchase them while i am in Leh .
Thanx & Regards
Saroj29

Postby Saroj29 » Thu May 08, 2014 11:29 am

aashish2137 wrote:@saroj29, the Zozi La route (Srinagar - Leh) isn't open yet due to avalanches in those regions. Its 5th May already and though the route opened on 29th April last year, this year it might open by 15th May or so.

Nobody can commit the clearing of roads and its deadline but if the roads aren't open, you can explore the option of visiting Himachal or flying to Leh from Delhi.

Thank you v much Ashish.
Saroj29

Postby dheerajsharma14 » Thu May 08, 2014 11:37 am

No confirmation yet from my sources on opening of Srinagar - Leh Highway, will check with them in the evening. Last news was, Zojila Pass has been cleared of snow but BRO is waiting for conditions to stabilize as there are daily 10-12 avalanches / snow slides happening between baltal and Zojila pass. So, they do not want to risk the lives of people. It is expected to open between 10-15 May.

Saroj29 wrote:Thank you v much Dheeraj for providing such a great information . My another query is i want to contribute in dow causes . Interested in distributing stationary items to local children in Ladakh during my visit there . Or any other such items for underprivileged children in remote place like Ladakh, dying to see that smile on their faces. from where can i purchase them while i am in Leh .
Thanx & Regards

Thank you so much Saroj (@Saroj29) for coming forward and showing your interest in participation in DoW Causes. There are many shops in Leh Main Market where stationary is available, you can buy from there. Also, you can refer: How can I carry out DoW Causes
dheerajsharma14
Site Administrator

Postby aashish2137 » Thu May 08, 2014 11:40 am

Saroj29 wrote:Thank you v much Dheeraj for providing such a great information . My another query is i want to contribute in dow causes . Interested in distributing stationary items to local children in Ladakh during my visit there . Or any other such items for underprivileged children in remote place like Ladakh, dying to see that smile on their faces. from where can i purchase them while i am in Leh .
Thanx & Regards

@saroj29, DoW group carried out Causes in Changthang last year but you can very well conduct them in Leh, Nubra or Pangong, or wherever you find time.

Stationery shops are in abundance in Leh market so I suggest you buy them on the first/ second day before you head out on your tour. You can buy general items like colours, crayons, colouring books, a set of pens etc and visit any school. Your hotel owners shall help you in locating the local schools. There, meet the principal and explain him/ her the concept of DOW Causes and request them that you wish to distribute these items to the children under their supervision.

Lastly, don't forget to report it back to us :)
Thank us by thanking yourself.
Participate with us on our ideas: Responsible Traveling | DoW Causes | Ladakh travel guide | DoW Calendar V2.0
aashish2137
Explorer

Postby dheerajsharma14 » Sun May 11, 2014 1:54 pm

Srinagar - Leh Highway has been reopened for traffic (light vehicles only) starting today for 2014 season. Traffic will be allowed only in morning hours I guess till the condition stabilise... please hold on your travel until condition stabilize.
dheerajsharma14
Site Administrator

Postby desiredoom » Sun May 11, 2014 5:34 pm

Hi everyone, we just changed our mode of travel and will be flying into leh from delhi on 14.05.2014 .. any news on the latest about the opening of the roads because we are still hoping to get back to srinagar from leh by road.
desiredoom

Postby dheerajsharma14 » Mon May 12, 2014 9:25 am

@desiredoom, Srinagar - Leh Highway has been re-opened for light vehicles yesterday. Did you read the post above?
dheerajsharma14
Site Administrator

Postby Saroj29 » Mon May 12, 2014 10:15 am

Thank you v much providing the required information .
Saroj29

PreviousNext

Return to Road Status & Conditions