Route Details from Manali - Spiti Valley
Manali - Marhi (37 KMs) - Rohtang Pass (51 KMs) - Gramphu (66 KMs) - Chattru (81 KMs) - Chota Dhara (98 KMs) - Battal (113 KMs) - Kunzum Pass (131 KMs) - Losar (151 KMs) - Kaza (202 KMs)
Permits for Manali - Rohtang Pass Road
Since 2010, all no-HP vehicles going to Rohtang Pass needs permits which can be obtained free of cost by showing vehicle's RC and DL copy.
Timings for the SDM Office, Manali are 10.00 AM to 5.00 PM and SDM Office Manali will be closed on National / Local Holidays, Sundays, Second Saturdays. So get in touch with some agent to get in advance if you are landing there on these days.
Bikes were exempted from the permits because in last 2 years none of the readers who are bikers on the blog reported any issue. But, bikers also need permits as per the latest updates in 2013 by Shriram in the forum here .
If you are coming from Keylong side or Kaza side, then you do not need any permit to ply on Manali – Rohtang Pass road even if you have a non-HP registered vehicle. Permit is required only if you are going from Manali side towards Rohtang Pass.
You can read detailed article at: Non – HP Vehicles Need Permit on Manali – Rohtang Pass Road
Timings of Manali - Rohtang Pass Road
Starting this year, 2013, traffic on Manali – Rohtang Pass Road has been regulated with timings and traffic will be allowed only one way in those timings. Following is the summary of the regulations:
- Vehicles going to Rohtang Pass will only be allowed to go from Manali to Rohtang Pass from 6 AM to 11 AM. After 11 AM, tourists or any taxis or vehicle will not be allowed to go to Rohtang Pass. Only exceptions are emergency vehicles and HRTC buses and vehicles coming from Lahaul or Spiti Valley which should be certified by Khoksar Checkpost.
- Vehicles will only be allowed to come back from Rohtang Pass to Manali after 1 PM to 6 PM only where 11 AM to 1 PM is the maintenance timings.
- Vehicles going beyond Rohtang Pass i.e. to Leh – Ladakh or Lahaul + Spiti Valley WILL be allowed from 5 PM to 6 AM too.
- NO restrictions are present for Ambulances or vehicles in emergency.
- Any violations to these rules may lead to seizure of the vehicles too.
Current Road Status
Kunzum Pass has been cleared of snow from Kaza side but dozer has still not reached the Battal. From the other side, as per last reports dozer has just reached about Chattru. It will take about 15 odd days seeing the current progress so that the entire route from Manali to Spiti Valley gets open.