Delhi - Manali Road Conditions

Know or share about various road status and road conditions across various parts of the Himalayas, in this forum.

Delhi - Manali Road Conditions

Postby dheerajsharma14 » Wed May 28, 2014 1:05 pm

Well, guys normal route to Manali via NH-21, that is Manali - Chandigarh Highway is in extremely pathetic conditions from Kiratpur Sahib to Bilaspur with bee lines of slow moving trucks, chaotic over taking of these overloaded trucks, deep crater sized potholes all around on almost 70 KMs of stretch... The journey becomes so tiring and frustrating...

This time when I went to Tirthan Valley from Delhi, we took the route as

Kiratpur Sahib > Anandpur Sahib > Nangal > Una > then turn right towards Bhota > then again right towards Jahu > at T-Point, turn left towards Ner Chowk. Don't go towards Sunder Nagar as you will loose couple of hours then.

This is a bit longer route, may be 55-60 KMs but time difference is almost about 40-45 minutes only. However, roads are super smooth all the way to cruise upon apart from last average roads of 25 KMs after Jahu to Ner Chowk.

So, better avoid the NH-21 route and take this route via Una - Bhota to reach Manali or beyond Mandi to Himachal

I will update the pictures on this super smooth roads and equally scenic too in a while.
dheerajsharma14
Site Administrator

Re: Best Route to Manali from Delhi

Postby dheerajsharma14 » Thu May 29, 2014 9:51 am

Some pictures below to see yourself the road conditions and scenes which will be offered on Una - Bhota route...

Tirthan-Valley-2014-114.jpg
Tirthan-Valley-2014-114.jpg (72.41 KiB) Viewed 22600 times
Tirthan-Valley-2014-1.jpg
Tirthan-Valley-2014-1.jpg (71.34 KiB) Viewed 22600 times
Tirthan-Valley-2014-15.jpg
Tirthan-Valley-2014-15.jpg (51.16 KiB) Viewed 22600 times
IMG-20140512-WA0008.jpg
IMG-20140512-WA0008.jpg (57.16 KiB) Viewed 22600 times
IMG-20140512-WA0007.jpg
IMG-20140512-WA0007.jpg (32.74 KiB) Viewed 22600 times
IMG-20140512-WA0004.jpg
IMG-20140512-WA0004.jpg (40.38 KiB) Viewed 22600 times
IMG_20140509_091436.jpg
IMG_20140509_091436.jpg (54.36 KiB) Viewed 22600 times
dheerajsharma14
Site Administrator

Postby starkamit » Thu May 29, 2014 10:28 am

Dear Dheeraj,

I visited Tirthan last week, i began my journey from chandigarh via Shimla - Narkanda - Anni - Jalori pass - Banjar to tirthan valley the total distance covered was 297 Kms. The View & Road from Narkanda to jalori pass was splended but from jalori pass the road was in bad condition (15 kms approx).

On my journey back to Chandigarh from tirthan i opted route mentioned by you i.e Banjar - Mandi - Ner chowk - Una - Nangal - Rupnagar - Chandigarh the total distance covered was 330 Kms.

I wanted to know is their any other road which make the distance shorter and also the kiratpur - bilaspur stretch is avoided.

I came to know that the road from Kalka - Dharampur - Arki - Darlaghat - Ghaghas - Ner Chowk - Mandi - Banjar make the distance shorter and the total distance covered is 260 Kms. But i am not sure about the road condition. Please clarify!!!!
starkamit

Postby aashish2137 » Thu May 29, 2014 11:33 am

@starkamit, I have spent my entire childhood in Darlaghat so I know that route better than anyone here. From Dharampur to Darlaghat, the route is mostly narrow and barely tarred for 2 vehicles at a time. There are certain stretches in between which need cautious driving, especially around Subathu. Somewhere after Arki the route joins the Shimla road and is good henceforth.

Typically, Chandigarh - Darlaghat takes 4 hours for a seasoned driver and is indeed tiring. The hills begin shortly after Kalka so its about 110 kms of hills drive till Darlaghat.

All in all, I'd consider the Una - Nangal route best.
Thank us by thanking yourself.
Participate with us on our ideas: Responsible Traveling | DoW Causes | Ladakh travel guide | DoW Calendar V2.0
aashish2137
Explorer

Postby sany » Thu May 29, 2014 12:12 pm

WOW, that is some lust to the eyes. Glad that you brought this new route for us. That bilaspur-kiratpur stretch is a real killer.

Agli baar, is route per raftaar!
The traveler has only one thing on mind.................NOTHING! Keep Going without bothering how its gonna end....
sany
Wanderer

Postby abhinawp » Thu May 29, 2014 1:26 pm

Can someone please suggest the best route from chail to solang valley and solang valley to tatapani. Is the route suggested by google map the best one?
abhinawp

Postby dheerajsharma14 » Thu May 29, 2014 2:16 pm

@abhinawp, welcome to DoW Community !!

From Chail, I will say better take Jalori Pass route, more scenic and better and adventurous. Though as stated above near Jalori roads are a bit bad. Hence, if you are OK with that little bad stretch then Jalori will be scenic as well as shorter route.

Otherwise, you can take Chail - Mashorba - Tattapani - Chindi - Rohanda - Chail Chowk - Ner Chowk - Mandi - Kullu - Manali - Solang Valley.

This route will be longer and the roads have more shorter curves. Overall road conditions are decent though. Check the detailed road conditions at the link: Road Conditions | Delhi - Barot - Chindi - Shimla - Delhi

[url]starkamit[/url], this is another decent route but quite longish. You can always halt at Chindi though if you have time to enjoy peace and calmness around.
dheerajsharma14
Site Administrator

Postby kpax » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:01 pm

Hey all,

After getting Leh'ed I will be in Manali on 13th August and want to catch flight to pune ASAP so can anyone please suggest me a good route from Manali - Delhi . This distacnce on Gmap is appx. 556 KM , Can it be covered in a single day on RE Thunderbird ?

I am planning to send My thunderbird by Train to Pune and catch flight to Pune. So is it a good idea to go to delhi or can I do the the same from Chandigarh / Amritsar considering good frequency of trains / flight from Delhi to Pune.

Appriciate your help.

Thanks,
Kpax
kpax

Postby dheerajsharma14 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:35 pm

Kiran, the route mentioned above is the best route currently for covering Delhi - Manali by road. I think Ambala will be your best bet for transferring bike. Check the direct trains you have in between.
dheerajsharma14
Site Administrator

Postby aashish2137 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:41 pm

kpax wrote:Hey all,

After getting Leh'ed I will be in Manali on 13th August and want to catch flight to pune ASAP so can anyone please suggest me a good route from Manali - Delhi . This distacnce on Gmap is appx. 556 KM , Can it be covered in a single day on RE Thunderbird ?

I am planning to send My thunderbird by Train to Pune and catch flight to Pune. So is it a good idea to go to delhi or can I do the the same from Chandigarh / Amritsar considering good frequency of trains / flight from Delhi to Pune.

Appriciate your help.

Thanks,
Kpax

Are you planning to send your bike through train? It will need atleast half a day to arrange for the formalities. The best route from Manali would be Manali - Kullu - Aut tunnel - Mandi - Bilaspur - Ropar - Chandigarh - Delhi. The roads between Bilaspur and Ropar are broken but it's still the shortest route for a biker.

PS: you can send your bike from Chandigarh as well.
Thank us by thanking yourself.
Participate with us on our ideas: Responsible Traveling | DoW Causes | Ladakh travel guide | DoW Calendar V2.0
aashish2137
Explorer

Next

Return to Road Status & Conditions