Long Bike Riding Advice

Read, learn and share more about Traveling to various parts of the Himalayas through these travel guides and articles, in this forum.

Long Bike Riding Advice

Postby anoopm18 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:57 pm

Hello Dheeraj,

Thanks a lot for your previous advices, & also your website is really helpful. As a last quesion b4 travelling i have one more question to you. Can you give me some advice on Long Bike Riding, like health tips & is tre any chance of back aches.
Please advice me.

Thanks,
Anoop
anoopm18

Re: Long Bike Riding Advice

Postby dheerajsharma14 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:59 pm

Anoop, really sorry that I am not into biking so may be will not be able to comment much. I will try to request my biker friends to comment here :)
dheerajsharma14
Site Administrator

Postby aashish2137 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:23 pm

anoopm18 wrote:Hello Dheeraj,

Thanks a lot for your previous advices, & also your website is really helpful. As a last quesion b4 travelling i have one more question to you. Can you give me some advice on Long Bike Riding, like health tips & is tre any chance of back aches.
Please advice me.

Thanks,
Anoop

Anoop, may we know which bike are you riding and what is the route?

Bikes have varied designs, both in terms of rider position as well as overall weight distribution ratio. It is very important to understand your bike. While some people find cruiser bikes comfortable (Bullet, Avenger), others prefer the likes of Pulsar, Karizma etc wherein you have to lean a little to maintain riding posture. Even within the bikes, Pulsar requires a lot more leaning compared to Unicorn or other Honda bikes. So the point being, you should know and adapt to the posture.

Coming over to general tips, here are some I could recollect:
1. Get adequate sleep, keep your body hydrated and do not ride without your gear (duh?!)
2. Take frequent breaks in between, say 10 mins every hour of riding to straighten your back.
3. If you can and are willing to, meet a local mechanic who can adjust the padding inside your seat to give you optimum height and comfort level.
4. Keep your rain gear ready. A complete rain suit plus shoes are essential on long rides. Have a long plastic cover for your luggage as well.
5. Your helmet is your best friend. Get a helmet that fits you perfectly and there should be no glitches in that. Also ensure you have a new scratch free visor on the helmet.

Here are some more tips: ladakh-zanskar-travel-guides/leh-ladakh-self-drive-tips-t185.html

Although most of them are generic to four-wheelers, a lot of others are general in nature and should be kept in mind.
Thank us by thanking yourself.
Participate with us on our ideas: Responsible Traveling | DoW Causes | Ladakh travel guide | DoW Calendar V2.0
aashish2137
Site Moderator

Postby magiceye » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:28 pm

anoopm18 wrote:Hello Dheeraj,

Please advice me.

Thanks,
Anoop

Hi Anoop,
Take regular breaks. Carry packets of mixed dry fruits with you, and consume daily while riding for energy. Back aches possible depending on your riding posture or if you are not used to regular riding.
Dont worry much. Enjoy your ride. Whenever you feel tired take a break and you will be fine!

Cheeers!
magiceye

Postby dheerajsharma14 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:30 pm

Admin Note: Thread moved to Miscellaneous section
dheerajsharma14
Site Administrator

Postby dheerajsharma14 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:40 pm

Thanks for some more inputs by Tarun Goel (loopwhole here) over twitter as he is online only over mobile:

• Biggest issue is water wetting the foot. Backache can be cured, wet shoes won't be. A good pair of shoes and socks. Can cover socks with plastic. But don't forget to bring plastic back. Rohtang is traffic free but still the slush is there. So plastic will come handy. First wear socks, then plastic and then shoes.
  • Second is back ache...carry a nice jacket and ride light... No backpack, camera, not even a pouch across the waist. Keep back, waist & shoulders free and light.
  • Lastly wind is a major disadvantage for bikers as it hits head and eyes. Helmet helps but sunglasses will make more sense.
  • And don't expose hands if intend to ride at large in one go. Cover hands with gloves otherwise hands swell like pumpkin (personl exp this)

In the end, Thanks alot Tarun for taking the efforts & replying over on twitter, would love to see you back here soon :)
dheerajsharma14
Site Administrator

Postby Sudhir Gaur » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:21 pm

Hello Anoop , many tips you have received already . I will try to add in a few and may repeat some of the tips already mentioned :
1 ) The most important according to me is to keep hydrating yourself . Dehydration will amplify the effects of High altitude sickness , tiredness , aches and cramps will get more severe . Keep drinking a little regularly rather then drinking lots of water in one go . Add ORS ( not glucose ) to the water to replenish salts and minerals . Especially if you are peeing a lot . Keep washing your eyes also with a lil water

2) Keep a first kid with you at all times . I pack a small bag specially only for the time i am riding and it is secured to the bike in such a way that it would be easily accessible whenever needed . It contains first aid kit , torch , wet wipes , toilet roll , rain coat , map/itinerary , photo chromatic eye-wear just in case it gets dark while riding . Eye drops a re a must in my kit as they are in need almost every time on a tour by my partner . A broad spectrum antibiotic .

3) DO NOT ride without protective gear on . Trust me on this it make a hell lot of difference during a fall . It also adds to the confidence .

4) Avoid heavy meals . As in my case they make me sleepy and in some cases I have seen people get sick .

5) In case of headaches try not to take any heavy medicines , dispirin is best to control headaches . Heavy meds can be taken once you reach your destination

6) Keep extra clutch wires , spark plugs , tyre tube , puncture kit . Keep a foot pump . Some m-seal . Extra warm clothing in a dry pack to be used in emergency only , even if your are travelling to the mountains in summer

7) I always have a bag tied on the pillion seat whenever i am travelling and it helps me in avoiding the back pain . But you will still need a butt of steal :lol: .

8) If sleepy , stop and rest

Well these are some of the points coming to the mind right now .
Sudhir Gaur

Postby Ghumakkar Punit » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:43 pm

Late to join the troop...forum friends have advised almost everything :)

Well, I must say that I generally use a a waist belt while on long riding, it helps me to have an erect posture.
For bikes, I believe you understand difference between racers and cruisers for long rides...

Do have a checklist, much similar to one Devil has suggested for travelling, with a standard toolbox, spares (with due knowledge of your machine), first aid kit, a physical address book and if possible a spare mobile phone...

Will try to collate all the suggestions in a single post...
Ghumakkar Punit
--------------------------------------------
सैर कर दुनिया की गाफिल ,जिंदगानी फिर कहाँ |
जिंदगानी गर रही तो, नव जवानी फिर कहाँ ||
"Happiness is When Shared" and I share themhere...
Ghumakkar Punit

Postby dheerajsharma14 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:05 pm

Guess some of the tips mentioned in the article linked below can also be equally applicable for a bike rider as well, though I ain't a biker and wrote them for the advice for people driving the cars to Ladakh :)

7 Useful Tips for a Self Drive to Leh – Ladakh
dheerajsharma14
Site Administrator

Postby marathiunlimited » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:17 pm

Sorry. I don't have any idea about it..!!
marathiunlimited

Return to Travel Guides & Articles