Trip to Uttarakhand

Ask your queries about planning a trip to Uttarakhand - Garhwal & Kumaon or help other fellow travelers with their queries, in this forum.

Re: Trip to Uttarakhand

Postby mosederbaer » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:50 am

Sir my points are like this on your queries-

1. I did travel once on uttarkashi-mayali route in October 2011 and don't remember having seen any guest house or hotel until we reached tilwara, I mean on the main road. Ghansali had one or two small dhabas. Mayali had a big market, an ATM but again don't remember seen any stay option. Although jakholi has a gmvn rest house, about which I came to know recently.
2. Will support to stay at joshimath for both nights as auli has limited and expensive options for the same. It is just 16 km from joshimath.
3. Jhala is between sukhitop and jaspur bend. In our first visit to gangotri (June 2009), we misnderstood jhala as harsil and even started searching for stay option too. There were some very basic ones. Luckily we saw a board on a shop mentioning the name of the place, Jhala and then confirmed with locals and moved ahead to harsil. Jhala to gangotri should be around 35 to 40 km.

In October 2011, we stayed in a small hotel at jaspur bend, room was nice. The route from uttarkashi to gangotri (100 km) goes like this, uttarkashi-maneri-bhatwari-gangnani (has hot water kund)-sukhi top-jhala-jaspur bend-harsil-dharali (has few hotels too)-bhairon ghati-gangotri. Harsil to gangotri is 25 km.

Hope it helps.
Travel is never a matter of money, only spirit
mosederbaer
DoW Core Team

Postby dheerajsharma14 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:52 am

mosederbaer wrote:Sir my points are like this on your queries-

1. I did travel once on uttarkashi-mayali route in October 2011 and don't remember having seen any guest house or hotel until we reached tilwara, I mean on the main road. Ghansali had one or two small dhabas. Mayali had a big market, an ATM but again don't remember seen any stay option. Although jakholi has a gmvn rest house, about which I came to know recently.
2. Will support to stay at joshimath for both nights as auli has limited and expensive options for the same. It is just 16 km from joshimath.
3. Jhala is between sukhitop and jaspur bend. In our first visit to gangotri (June 2009), we misnderstood jhala as harsil and even started searching for stay option too. There were some very basic ones. Luckily we saw a board on a shop mentioning the name of the place, Jhala and then confirmed with locals and moved ahead to harsil. Jhala to gangotri should be around 35 to 40 km.

In October 2011, we stayed in a small hotel at jaspur bend, room was nice. The route from uttarkashi to gangotri (100 km) goes like this, uttarkashi-maneri-bhatwari-gangnani (has hot water kund)-sukhi top-jhala-jaspur bend-harsil-dharali (has few hotels too)-bhairon ghati-gangotri. Harsil to gangotri is 25 km.

Hope it helps.

Anil bhai those are awesome details !!
dheerajsharma14
Site Administrator

Postby deba2164 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:36 pm

11th- night stay at new tehari.
12th- new tehari to jhala/jaspur bend/harsil. It will be about 8 hours at max, on this day and all these places are much better than uttarkashi.
13th- harsil to gangotri.
14th- either stay another night at gangotri or move to harsil.
15th- gangotri/harsil to uttarkashi.
16th- uttarkashi to jakholi (it has a gmvn rest house). I do not remember or know any other place before jakholi for night stay.
17th- deoriatal.
18th- dugalbitta.
19th- dugalbitta to joshimath.
20th- joshimath to auli.
21st- auli to khirsu.
22nd- khirsu to buwakhal, pauri and then to deoprayag, Rishikesh.
23rd- Rishikesh.
24th- here will suggest to make your return ticket from haridwar which is closer to rishikesh than Dehradun.

we have finalized our tour plan which has been made by Anilji with some changes through the changes are also advised by Dheeraji and Anilji.

our heartfelt thanks and regards to both of you.

I am highlighting the changes here .
1.12th night --Jashpur bend
2.15th night---either Uttarkashi/or any other places suitable for night stay in between uttarkashi to jhakholi
3.20th and 21st Joshimath

24th night train from hardwar

Lastly if you have the current information on accommodation option at these places including musouree and hrisikesh please let me know.We can afford 700 Rs max per night on an average for two of us. we need only a double bedded room with attached bath and hot water facility.Room should be clean-that's all .

thanks & regards

ps through it is not the proper forum still if anybody has the current information on details of entry formalities ,accommodation options and availability of ship tickets for Hut Bay and Car nicobar from portblair ,please let me know.we are planning to visit these places probably in the last week of February 2018.we are going to book flight tickets from Kolkata to portblair shortly .This is the 2nd time we are visiting there.
deba2164

Postby mosederbaer » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:16 pm

Sir mussorie, rishikesh, have plenty of stay options besides gmvn rest houses. Same goes with new tehari, harsil, gangotri also. Jaspur bend has one hotel but being off season, you should easily get a room. Uttarkashi also has lot of small hotels on main road itself.

Jakholi has a gmvn rest house. Dugalbitta has mayadeep resort. At deoriatal, you will need to stay in camps which can be arranged by local dhaba walas. Joshimath has small hotels in main market whereas khirsu also has some budget options along with gmvn.

Hope it helps. [emoji4]
mosederbaer
DoW Core Team

Postby dheerajsharma14 » Mon May 01, 2017 8:22 am

Awesome Anil bhai, I think we should move this thread to Articles section :D
dheerajsharma14
Site Administrator

Postby deba2164 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:07 pm

We have just completed our Uttarakhand tour as per our schedule.The entire tour had been initiated/executed by public transport/share jeep.
Highlighting important points for future references.

1 DEHRADUN TO MUSSOORIE (PICTURE PALACE) -FREQUENT GOVT BUS SERVICES ARE AVAILABLE FROM DEHRADUN BUS TERMINUS JUST BESIDE DD RLY ST-60/-PP
2.NO DIRECT BUSES ARE AVAILABLE FROM MS TO UTTARKASHI FROM PP BUS STAND EXCEPT ONE WHICH IS UNCERTAIN SUBJECT TO AV OF SEAT(FROM DD).ONE HAS TO TAKE A BREAK AT CHAMBA TO AVAIL BUSES TO UTTARKASHI---LONGER TRAVEL ROUTE THAN VIA SUOKHALI---8 TO 9 HOURS REQUIRED TO REACH UTTARKASHI VIA CHAMBA
3.NO BUSES ARE AVAILABLE IN THE MONTH OF OCT TO AVAIL GANGOTRI FROM UTTARKASHI,ONLY SHARE JEEP SERVICES ARE AVAILABLE FROM SHARE JEEP STAND WHICH IS HALF A KILOMETER AHEAD OF UTTARKASHI MARKET----200/- PP---4.5 HOURS
4. TERRIFIC PROBLEM FOR PUBLIC TRANSPORT HAVE BEEN FACED BY US .GETTING ACCOMMODATION AT SHARE JEEP IS REALLY DIFFICULT AT GANGOTRI.
5.GANGOTRI TO HARSIL BY SHARE JEEP -100/-PP ---1HOUR
6.HARSIL TO UTTARKASHI -AGAIN PROBLEM FACED WITH THE SHARE JEEP .ONLY FEW NO OF JEEPS ARE AVAILABLE ---150/-PP 3.5 HOURS
7.HARSIL TO SRINAGAR---LONG JOURNEY VIA LAMBGAON . ONLY PRIVATE BUS SERVICES ARE AVAILABLE AT 6.30 8.00 AND 8.30 AM ---8 TO 9 HOURS REQUIRED---260/- PP
8. SRINAGAR TO BADRINARAYAN-- ONLY ONE GOVT BUS IS AVAILABLE AT SRINAGAR BUS STAND AT 8.30 AM (starts from RISHIKESH) WHICH GOES TO BADRINARAYAN DIRECTLY AT ABOUT 5PM ---GOOD SERVICE BUT DIFFICULT TO GET SEATS FROM SRINAGAR AT LEAST UP TO KARNAPRAYAG----310/-PP
9. BADRINARAYAN TO JOSHIMATH-----BY SHARE JEEP ---FREQUENT SERVICE -100/PP
10. JOSHIMATH TO AULI BY ROPEWAY AND BACK--- TRY TO AVAIL THE 1ST TRIP IN THE MORNING TO GET CLEAR SKY ---1500/PP WITH GST
11.JOSHIMATH TO DOGOLVITA-- NO DIRECT BUSES AND JEEP SERVICES ARE AVAILABLE--BREAK 1 -JOSHIMATH TO CHAMOLI BREAK 2-CHAMOLI TO GOPESHWAR -- THEN UPTO DOGOLVITA WE HAD TO HIRE AN ENTIRE JEEP FOR 2000/-
12.DOGOLVITA TO JAKHOLI--- AGAIN BREAKS- BREAK1 --DOGOLVITA TO UKHIMATH BY SHARE JEEP---BREAK2---UKHIMATH TO TILWARA---BREAK3-TILWARA TO MAYALI---BREAK4---MAYALI TO JAKHOLI
13.JAKHOLI TO RISHIKESH--ONLY ONE DIRECT BUS IS AVAILABLE FROM JAKHOLI TO DD VIA RISHIKESH OPERATED BY VISWANATH SEVA AT 8AM---GOOD SERVICE--7 TO 7.5 HOURS ---250/-PP
14.RISHIKESH TO HARIDWAR- MANY OPTIONS .WE AVAILED LOCAL TRAIN AT 8.45AM FROM RISHIKESH .

ACCOMODATION AT BIRLA DHARAMSHALAS AT GANGOTRI AND UTTARKASHI ARE GOOD .GMVN JAKHOLI IS GOOD BUT GMVN HARSIL IS NOT UP TO THE MARK COMPARING THE COST OF ACCOMMODATION .KALI KAMLI RISHIKESH AND HARIDWAR ARE NOT BAD TO STAY.

DHEERAJ BHAI AND ANIL BHAI AND ALSO OTHERS ,THANKS A LOT TO EVERYBODY FOR YOUR ASSISTANCE AND SUPPORT. HAVE SOME PHOTOGRAPHS -WHERE DO I POST THOSE IN THIS SITE?
deba2164

Postby mosederbaer » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:23 pm

Sir thanks a lot for the useful tips. I know that while traveling by public transport (specially at the end of the yatra season) you must have face difficulties but i am equally confident that you must have enjoyed the trip at the max. I will request you to share some pictures and brief day to day story with us here on forum. We all would love to read that.... :) Please oblige.
mosederbaer
DoW Core Team

Postby deba2164 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:44 pm

I have never posted travel photography in this site.hence help me with the steps for uploading pictures.

we have planned to visit Kumaon region probably in the 1st week of November 2018.we are chalking out the initial tour plan now.we shall share with you ,the plan after completion.and definitely your assistance,suggestion and guidance are required as before.
deba2164

Postby getpackingvinod » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:30 pm

@deba2164, kindly g through this post to see how to post the photos : )
getpackingvinod
Site Moderator

Previous

Return to Uttarakhand - Garhwal & Kumaon