Safe for first-time rider around Leh?

Ask your queries about planning a trip to Leh - Ladakh & Zanskar Valley or help other fellow travelers with their queries, in this forum.

Safe for first-time rider around Leh?

Postby NewGuy » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:07 am

Hello everyone!

I am planning to arrive in Leh on September 30 using other means, but am thinking of renting a bike to travel around the area (i.e. Pangong Tso, Tso Moriri, Thikse Monastery, etc.) I have heard that by this time, there will not be much traffic, but I am more concerned about general safety as someone who has very little riding experience (though of course I do have an American driver's license for cars).

Are the roads in that area manageable? In all these cases, I would just be making day trips to and from 1 location. A very experienced rider friend of mine told me that even for an inexperienced rider, it is often safer to be in control of the bike rather than to rely on a driver. Even with that, I wanted to get some more opinions.

I have checked a number of resources for figuring out the quality of bikes, etc. but not as much about the experience of new riders in the area.

Hope to hear from you guys. Thanks!
NewGuy

Re: Safe for first-time rider around Leh?

Postby getpackingvinod » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:13 am

Newguy, if you've not ridden bikes (motor bikes) in the recent past, I'd advise against you trying this. If you've got enough experience in riding, only then go ahead.

Roads aren't the smoothest and in most places, roads are non existent- in most places it would be off roading.

If you're still doubtful, I'd recommend hiring a taxi. Ladakhi drivers are the best in that region and you can definitely trust them.
getpackingvinod
Site Moderator

Postby NewGuy » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:33 pm

Thanks, getpackingvinod! It's a little disheartening to not have that freedom on the bike, but I understand that this may not be the best place to learn. I have a few contacts for Ladakhi drivers, so I will go with that option. I appreciate your advice.

Not sure if this is the best place for another unrelated question (maybe I'll start a new post), but does anyone have experience doing a trek from Lamayuruu to Alchi? I am interested in learning about the monasteries in particular, while also completing a relatively challenging trek. Any recommendations for that path, whether with a guide or solo?
NewGuy

Postby getpackingvinod » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:22 am

Though I haven't done that, the path is not very difficult. Always recommended to take a guide along..
getpackingvinod
Site Moderator

Return to Ladakh & Zanskar Valley