List of Taxi Drivers for Ladakh - Srinagar - Leh - Manali

Read, learn and share more about Traveling to Leh - Ladakh & Zanskar Valley through these travel guides and articles, in this forum.

Re: List of Taxi Drivers for Ladakh - Srinagar - Leh - Manal

Postby urjitj » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:11 pm

Ladakh - June 2017.
This post contains information on : Driver, connectivity, food, other info/advice on trip planning.
Updated info on Zakirbhai : He has a brand new Innova Crysta - JK10A 7596 2017 - we were his second set of customers in the new car!

Just back from an amazing trip to Ladakh and I would attribute this majorly to Zakirbhai (9419242966) - our driver by sheer chance!
Initially we were 2 couples on this trip but my friend had to opt out due to an emergency and that left the two of us and his wife. I had been following DoW for a while before this trip and had tried to contact a lot of the drivers but either their phones could not be reached or the talks just didn't go beyond us sending our itinerary and then getting no response. Finally, when we were to fly into Leh, we only had a few hotel bookings as per our plans (a bad idea for Ladakh, which we later realized) and our return bookings from Manali and Delhi respectively.

Since we had planned the first 3 days in Leh and had a hotel booking, we were able to get there and rest as well as acclimatize on day 1 & 2 as well as go around the city on foot a little bit. On day 2, we were looking to hire a cab for our trip and went to the Taxi stand near BSNL office - we were also looking to get a bsnl pre-paid card since only my airtel post-paid connection worked in Leh and I was informed that most places will only have BSNL connectivity - between the 3 of us, we had Idea postpaid, Vodafone postpaid, JIO as well as Airtel postpaid cards - to our surprise, BSNL pre-paid cards are only available to someone with a local residential address! After speaking with a few drivers there, who were all already booked but still tried to help us by calling in their contacts, we were making our way out of the taxi stand when we were waved at by this man on the phone and as I approached him, between his call he asked us if we needed a taxi. As I nodded yes, he gestured us towards a brand new white Innova Crysta and the moment he finished his call, he motioned us to sit inside the cab as it was quite hot. His first few questions were regarding our stay and whether we had acclimatized properly and then he asked if we had our ILP done - we hadn't since we thought it was not required any more for Indian citizens - but apparently, its back in force and you need to pay a visit to the office in Leh and get it done. By then, it was 3:45pm and he said the office would close at 4! So, even before we had finalized about whether we'll hire him, he drove us straight to the office, got us the form and we were ready with the permit by 4:10!!

It was outside the ILP issuing office that we finalized the trip starting the next day - he showed us the taxi union rates and said that we'll come to a round figure and he'll give us a good rate..'ho jayega sirji' with a smile. That's when I recalled I had read about him on DoW and when I mentioned this to him, his eyes lit up! We talked about DoW a bit and he proudly said his reviews are there and how "Dheerajbhai ne bola apna gaadi le le" which made him go for his own car from driving for someone else and that has helped him come up in life. Since then he hasn't looked back and sold his 2013 Innova after clocking almost 2lakh Km on it. He dropped us back near the main market, promising to pick us up at our hotel the next morning.

We were headed to Lamayuru - Alchi and the other usual sight seeing spots on the way the next day. We could have opted for a smaller vehicle but I felt it would be a good try out for the rest of the journey (I had to be extra cautious since I was travelling with two females). I do feel the need to mention this that Ladakh and its people are excellent and its a very safe place for women - even to travel alone. This isn't just my opinion but that of my companions on the trip. They felt very easy and comfortable throughout our stay and travel in Ladakh.

Zakirbhai's driving was impeccable and so were his manners. Whether it was navigating through the narrow streets of Leh (a lot of construction and digging is going on so there are a lot of diversions and dug up roads in Leh right now (Jun'17) or the tricky roads with blind turns on the Himalayas or the challenge posed by the route from Nubra to Pangong via Shayok, he was upto the task and one up on it every time. Our conversations went from cars and passengers to our families and lives, political conditions in J&K and Ladakh, to his own experiences growing up and taking to driving - from being a helper ferrying the locals on a Tata 207 to driving it to graduating into driving an Innova for an owner into becoming an owner driver - his oral resume could be easily verified from his driving skills. His stint of driving with the army was really boring for him and hence he got back into tourist driving.

Due to the road and drainage works in Leh, two of our hotels were inaccessible and on both occasions, Zakir helped us put up in excellent budget hotels that were clean, had excellent service and nice views even when they were located only about half a KM from the main market. Our stay in Nubra was also arranged by Zakir and it was excellent given the quality of service it offered and customized our meals (customizing meals was important for us as the women found it very difficult to deal with the usage of Soy oil for cooking that most places have resorted to instead of the traditional sarson).

One tip for anyone coming to Leh/Ladakh is that DO NOT book hotels in advance if you have a confirmed taxi booking. If at all, only book the first 2 or 3 days that you are going to spend in Leh. There are enough rooms in hotels, homestays, tent stays etc. available for everyone, even in Pangong. The best thing to do is leave it to your driver - if you don't like what you see when he takes you there, tell him - he'll have multiple options or you can prepare a list of your own and pick from that. This will not only enhance your quality of stay - as you have the option to pick where you want to stay after seeing it, it will also be beneficial to you cost wise. Also, given the uncertain weather conditions, its best not to pre-book as you might have to change your plans as dictated by the weather.

While you're with Zakir, you would feel as if he knows "almost everyone" in Ladakh - be it other taxi drivers, hotel staff and owners, shop owners or the people on streets. People in the market would come greet him, school kids to young mothers to old ladies or working men.. we had to ask him if he was a local celebrity at which point his shyness evidently travelled to his cheeks and eyes as he blushed.

He also arranged a ride for our Manali drop - Jacky or Jackie {9107552730} - who was a great driver but can only be contacted for transit and can't call him tourist friendly as he didn't take us to Hemis monastery on our way from Leh to Sarchu or any other location that was on the way. I must say he drove exceptionally well on a bad weather day from Rohtang to Manali when visibility was next to zero, it was raining all the way and there was some ice on the roads as well.

We were more than happy to pay Zakirbhai the union rates and didn't bargain at all for the price as it would have been completely unfair and just felt wrong. He did round up the final figure for us and gave a Rs. 900 waiver.

Kudos to Dheeraj for maintaining DoW and making available a plethora of information for everyone. The initiative not only helps one plan but also goes a long way in changing the mindset of drivers and tourists.
urjitj

Postby dheerajsharma14 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:25 am

urjitj wrote:Ladakh - June 2017.
This post contains information on : Driver, connectivity, food, other info/advice on trip planning.
Updated info on Zakirbhai : He has a brand new Innova Crysta - JK10A 7596 2017 - we were his second set of customers in the new car!

Just back from an amazing trip to Ladakh and I would attribute this majorly to Zakirbhai (9419242966) - our driver by sheer chance!
Initially we were 2 couples on this trip but my friend had to opt out due to an emergency and that left the two of us and his wife. I had been following DoW for a while before this trip and had tried to contact a lot of the drivers but either their phones could not be reached or the talks just didn't go beyond us sending our itinerary and then getting no response. Finally, when we were to fly into Leh, we only had a few hotel bookings as per our plans (a bad idea for Ladakh, which we later realized) and our return bookings from Manali and Delhi respectively.

Since we had planned the first 3 days in Leh and had a hotel booking, we were able to get there and rest as well as acclimatize on day 1 & 2 as well as go around the city on foot a little bit. On day 2, we were looking to hire a cab for our trip and went to the Taxi stand near BSNL office - we were also looking to get a bsnl pre-paid card since only my airtel post-paid connection worked in Leh and I was informed that most places will only have BSNL connectivity - between the 3 of us, we had Idea postpaid, Vodafone postpaid, JIO as well as Airtel postpaid cards - to our surprise, BSNL pre-paid cards are only available to someone with a local residential address! After speaking with a few drivers there, who were all already booked but still tried to help us by calling in their contacts, we were making our way out of the taxi stand when we were waved at by this man on the phone and as I approached him, between his call he asked us if we needed a taxi. As I nodded yes, he gestured us towards a brand new white Innova Crysta and the moment he finished his call, he motioned us to sit inside the cab as it was quite hot. His first few questions were regarding our stay and whether we had acclimatized properly and then he asked if we had our ILP done - we hadn't since we thought it was not required any more for Indian citizens - but apparently, its back in force and you need to pay a visit to the office in Leh and get it done. By then, it was 3:45pm and he said the office would close at 4! So, even before we had finalized about whether we'll hire him, he drove us straight to the office, got us the form and we were ready with the permit by 4:10!!

It was outside the ILP issuing office that we finalized the trip starting the next day - he showed us the taxi union rates and said that we'll come to a round figure and he'll give us a good rate..'ho jayega sirji' with a smile. That's when I recalled I had read about him on DoW and when I mentioned this to him, his eyes lit up! We talked about DoW a bit and he proudly said his reviews are there and how "Dheerajbhai ne bola apna gaadi le le" which made him go for his own car from driving for someone else and that has helped him come up in life. Since then he hasn't looked back and sold his 2013 Innova after clocking almost 2lakh Km on it. He dropped us back near the main market, promising to pick us up at our hotel the next morning.

We were headed to Lamayuru - Alchi and the other usual sight seeing spots on the way the next day. We could have opted for a smaller vehicle but I felt it would be a good try out for the rest of the journey (I had to be extra cautious since I was travelling with two females). I do feel the need to mention this that Ladakh and its people are excellent and its a very safe place for women - even to travel alone. This isn't just my opinion but that of my companions on the trip. They felt very easy and comfortable throughout our stay and travel in Ladakh.

Zakirbhai's driving was impeccable and so were his manners. Whether it was navigating through the narrow streets of Leh (a lot of construction and digging is going on so there are a lot of diversions and dug up roads in Leh right now (Jun'17) or the tricky roads with blind turns on the Himalayas or the challenge posed by the route from Nubra to Pangong via Shayok, he was upto the task and one up on it every time. Our conversations went from cars and passengers to our families and lives, political conditions in J&K and Ladakh, to his own experiences growing up and taking to driving - from being a helper ferrying the locals on a Tata 207 to driving it to graduating into driving an Innova for an owner into becoming an owner driver - his oral resume could be easily verified from his driving skills. His stint of driving with the army was really boring for him and hence he got back into tourist driving.

Due to the road and drainage works in Leh, two of our hotels were inaccessible and on both occasions, Zakir helped us put up in excellent budget hotels that were clean, had excellent service and nice views even when they were located only about half a KM from the main market. Our stay in Nubra was also arranged by Zakir and it was excellent given the quality of service it offered and customized our meals (customizing meals was important for us as the women found it very difficult to deal with the usage of Soy oil for cooking that most places have resorted to instead of the traditional sarson).

One tip for anyone coming to Leh/Ladakh is that DO NOT book hotels in advance if you have a confirmed taxi booking. If at all, only book the first 2 or 3 days that you are going to spend in Leh. There are enough rooms in hotels, homestays, tent stays etc. available for everyone, even in Pangong. The best thing to do is leave it to your driver - if you don't like what you see when he takes you there, tell him - he'll have multiple options or you can prepare a list of your own and pick from that. This will not only enhance your quality of stay - as you have the option to pick where you want to stay after seeing it, it will also be beneficial to you cost wise. Also, given the uncertain weather conditions, its best not to pre-book as you might have to change your plans as dictated by the weather.

While you're with Zakir, you would feel as if he knows "almost everyone" in Ladakh - be it other taxi drivers, hotel staff and owners, shop owners or the people on streets. People in the market would come greet him, school kids to young mothers to old ladies or working men.. we had to ask him if he was a local celebrity at which point his shyness evidently travelled to his cheeks and eyes as he blushed.

He also arranged a ride for our Manali drop - Jacky or Jackie {9107552730} - who was a great driver but can only be contacted for transit and can't call him tourist friendly as he didn't take us to Hemis monastery on our way from Leh to Sarchu or any other location that was on the way. I must say he drove exceptionally well on a bad weather day from Rohtang to Manali when visibility was next to zero, it was raining all the way and there was some ice on the roads as well.

We were more than happy to pay Zakirbhai the union rates and didn't bargain at all for the price as it would have been completely unfair and just felt wrong. He did round up the final figure for us and gave a Rs. 900 waiver.

Kudos to Dheeraj for maintaining DoW and making available a plethora of information for everyone. The initiative not only helps one plan but also goes a long way in changing the mindset of drivers and tourists.

Thank you so much Urjit for taking time and writing such a detailed post. Reading such success stories and seeing DoW making a real difference in people lives has always widen my chest with proud and honour. It feels like I have served some purpose in life and everyone who is participating in this special initiative to make a difference in the lives of local Himalayan people would surely feel the same way !! Thank you again and glad to know that Zakir bhai remember us till date...

I have updated the feedback in main post and also added Jackie in the list.
dheerajsharma14
Site Administrator

Postby palashrourkela » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:26 pm

Visited Ladakh during first the week of Jun 2017, DOW forum was very helpful for planning the entire tour. But for my surprise our tour Driver Jimmy (better to address him our tour manager) was very helpful and informative and took us to places beyond our itinerary within the agreed tour cost. He was just like a friend and caring brother throughout our tour helping us with his local knowledge and cautioning us about AMS. He also helped us to arrange Guest House and tents in all locations. He had taken us to Srinagar from Leh and even arranged for house boat and taxi at Srinagar in very short duration. He is now a friend for ever and I would always recommend him to tourist visiting ladakh. Just be with him for one day he will even accompany you to shopping and bargain on your behalf. Even throwing snow balls at us and being part of family. He owns a Mahindra Xyalo and it is equipped with all the modern gadgets least to say it has an invertor (we even charged our camera with it), led flash light on roof top to manoeuvre through icy and rocky terrain during pitch darkness. Jimmy’s vehicle was the only one vehicle equipped with show chains, the chains on the wheel was very helpful in driving on icy roads at khardungla and changla pass on a heavy snow fall day which e experienced. Interacting with Jimmy you can come to know about the warm-heartedness of ladhaki people. I will always recommend him to all because he is a very cautious driver and never in a hurry for overtaking and driving at reckless speed, this is the one of the best qualities he possesses which I feel is very much needed while driving in dangerous high mountains say it in changla, khardungla or zojila. His face book id is “jimmy khangsar”, and his phone nos are No. 9906997404,9469171101,8368628819 (depending upon places he is at say it at Srinagar, leh, manali, pangong Toso.) pet word ‘KYO NEHAI” means “DON’T WORRY”
Attachments
DSC_02051 (301).JPG
DSC_02051 (301).JPG (64.69 KiB) Viewed 700 times
DSC_0968.JPG
Our friend Jimmy
DSC_0968.JPG (51.87 KiB) Viewed 722 times
Last edited by palashrourkela on Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
palashrourkela

Postby mosederbaer » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:32 pm

palashrourkela wrote:Visited Ladakh during first the week of Jun 2017, DOW forum was very helpful for planning the entire tour. But for my surprise our tour Driver Jimmy (better to address him our tour manager) was very helpful and informative and took us to places beyond our itinerary within the agreed tour cost. He was just like a friend and caring brother throughout our tour helping us with his local knowledge and cautioning us about AMS. He also helped us to arrange Guest House and tents in all locations. He had taken us to Srinagar from Leh and even arranged for house boat and taxi at Srinagar in very short duration. He is now a friend for ever and I would always recommend him to tourist visiting ladakh. Just be with him for one day he will even accompany you to shopping and bargain on your behalf. Even throwing snow balls at us and being part of family. He owns a Mahindra Xyalo and it is equipped with all the modern gadgets least to say it has an invertor (we even charged our camera with it), led flash light on roof top to manoeuvre through icy and rocky terrain during pitch darkness. Jimmy’s vehicle was the only one vehicle equipped with show chains, the chains on the wheel was very helpful in driving on icy roads at khardungla and changla pass on a heavy snow fall day which e experienced. Interacting with Jimmy you can come to know about the warm-heartedness of ladhaki people. I will always recommend him to all because he is a very cautious driver and never in a hurry for overtaking and driving at reckless speed, this is the one of the best qualities he possesses which I feel is very much needed while driving in dangerous high mountains say it in changla, khardungla or zojila. His face book id is “jimmy khangsar”, and his phone nos are No. 9906997404,9469171101,8368628819 (depending upon places he is at say it at Srinagar, leh, manali, pangong Toso.) pet word ‘KYO NEHAI” means “DON’T WORRY”

Thanks a lot brother for writing the feedback about Jimmy. It will really be helpful for others. I will request the mods to add his name and contact number in the list of the recommended drivers. :)
Travel is never a matter of money, only spirit
mosederbaer
DoW Core Team

Postby navneet1986 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:48 pm

Thanks a lot @palashrourkela for this review.
Road Trips: Bhutan Apr'16-May'16; Now Running | Spiti Sep'14-Oct'14 | Kinnaur Jul'14
Trekking: Indrahaar Pass; Now Running
Solo: Winter Trip to Spiti & Kinnaur; Dec'15-Jan'16; Coming Soon
navneet1986
DoW Core Team

Postby VivekR » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:47 pm

I must mention while selecting DOW listed driver/innova owner Rigzin Namgail,Lardo,Leh, (9622950842 and 9419844285),Simant Dutta's review on DOW(Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:19) helped me a lot.Whatever he has mentioned about Rigzin Namgail is absolutely correct,I also highly recommend Rigzin Namgail,Lardo,Leh, (9622950842 and 9419844285) for any Laddakh trip.Now he owns JK10A5562 2016 registered white Innova.Image

One thing to mention specially,upon which everyone will come to know how caring he is,about the passengers he is carrying,
he has Oximeter,625(+) ltrs Oxigen cyllinder,Emergency portable light,etc in his Innova.And he uses all these things whenever required.I came to know at Khardung la about these things when he used oximeter for other taxi passengers (having symptoms of AMS) when we were stranded in traffic jam due to avalanche for almost 10 hrs.
He is really a trustworthy and honest person.And just words are not enough to explain.
Thanks Simantda and DOW once again.
Last edited by VivekR on Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Success lies in courage !
VivekR

Postby dheerajsharma14 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:51 pm

VivekR wrote:I must mention while selecting DOW listed driver/innova owner Rigzin Namgail,Lardo,Leh, (9622950842 and 9419844285),Simant Dutta's review on DOW(Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:19) helped me a lot.Whatever he has mentioned about Rigzin Namgail is absolutely correct,I also highly recommend Rigzin Namgail,Lardo,Leh, (9622950842 and 9419844285) for any Laddakh trip.Now he owns JK10A5562 2016 registered white Innova.Image

One thing to mention specially,upon which everyone will come to know how caring he is,about the passengers he is carrying,
he has Oximeter,625(+) ltrs Oxigen cyllinder,Emergency portable light,etc in his Innova.And he uses all these things whenever required.I came to know at Khardung la about these things when he used oximeter for other taxi passengers (having symptoms of AMS) when we were stranded in traffic jam due to avananche for almost 10 hrs.
He is really a trustworthy and honest person.And just words are not enough to explain.
Thanks Simantda and DOW once again.

Thank you Vivek, I have updated the first post with the feedback.
dheerajsharma14
Site Administrator

Postby dheerajsharma14 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:52 pm

palashrourkela wrote:Visited Ladakh during first the week of Jun 2017, DOW forum was very helpful for planning the entire tour. But for my surprise our tour Driver Jimmy (better to address him our tour manager) was very helpful and informative and took us to places beyond our itinerary within the agreed tour cost. He was just like a friend and caring brother throughout our tour helping us with his local knowledge and cautioning us about AMS. He also helped us to arrange Guest House and tents in all locations. He had taken us to Srinagar from Leh and even arranged for house boat and taxi at Srinagar in very short duration. He is now a friend for ever and I would always recommend him to tourist visiting ladakh. Just be with him for one day he will even accompany you to shopping and bargain on your behalf. Even throwing snow balls at us and being part of family. He owns a Mahindra Xyalo and it is equipped with all the modern gadgets least to say it has an invertor (we even charged our camera with it), led flash light on roof top to manoeuvre through icy and rocky terrain during pitch darkness. Jimmy’s vehicle was the only one vehicle equipped with show chains, the chains on the wheel was very helpful in driving on icy roads at khardungla and changla pass on a heavy snow fall day which e experienced. Interacting with Jimmy you can come to know about the warm-heartedness of ladhaki people. I will always recommend him to all because he is a very cautious driver and never in a hurry for overtaking and driving at reckless speed, this is the one of the best qualities he possesses which I feel is very much needed while driving in dangerous high mountains say it in changla, khardungla or zojila. His face book id is “jimmy khangsar”, and his phone nos are No. 9906997404,9469171101,8368628819 (depending upon places he is at say it at Srinagar, leh, manali, pangong Toso.) pet word ‘KYO NEHAI” means “DON’T WORRY”

Thank you Palash. I have updated the Jimmy number in the first post.
dheerajsharma14
Site Administrator

Postby JeevanGupta » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:54 pm

Could anyone having updated contact no. of Rigzen Namgyal (No.51 in list) or Anwar (Madhosh) (No.54 in list)?

I have been trying to contact them on their mentioned nos. for last one week, but I am unable to contact them.
JeevanGupta

Postby chaitanyap » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:31 pm

Anwar is reachable on +91 94195 20062 and anwar.madhosh@gmail.com. Try to whatsapp or message him, he will definitely respond back.
You can also try to connect with him on facebook using his id 'Anwarmadhosh Anwar'

JeevanGupta wrote:Could anyone having updated contact no. of Rigzen Namgyal (No.51 in list) or Anwar (Madhosh) (No.54 in list)?

I have been trying to contact them on their mentioned nos. for last one week, but I am unable to contact them.
chaitanyap

PreviousNext

Return to Ladakh & Zanskar Valley