Mumbai-Leh-Mumbai.......Drive of a Lifetime

Share your Leh - Ladakh & Zanskar Valley traveling experiences or stories with other like minded travelers, in this forum.

Mumbai-Leh-Mumbai.......Drive of a Lifetime

Postby Capttyagi » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:38 pm

The Prelude

…….. we woke up to an unusually heavy day at Jispa; had breakfast at the hotel, packed our bags and started the descent towards Manali. Somewhere after passing Keylong, both of us realised we have not spoken a word to each other since departure Jispa. Soon we figured out the reason; and we also figured out why we were feeling unusually heavy that day……….we were leaving the serenity of Ladakh and heading back into our chaotic world. We stopped over to shrug off the heaviness, when a local kid passing by innocently said to us “ Bye Bye – Phir se Aana”. His modest gesture somehow worked wonders on us and immediately we were back to life… cameras were out….. smile back on faces. We clicked few pics and resumed our return journey having made a promise to ourselves – we will come back to get Leh’d again……when ???…….well, before expiry of remaining Diamox Tablets.

DSC_0421.JPG
DSC_0421.JPG (62.25 KiB) Viewed 960 times

The Run-up

As most of the Leh travellers, it was a long cherished dream to travel to Leh…oh…drive to Leh! Plan was in place for almost 5-6 years, but due to various reasons, it was not converting to implementation. Eventually, in Sep this year, things fell in place and we drove to the magical land of Lamas. My travel partner was my brother, Vishal, who also happens to be my best buddy since childhood. I feel it’s very important to have a travel mate of a similar wavelength, when you undertake a journey of this significance / scale.

The Vehicle
Ecosport 1.0 L Ecoboost Petrol
The Trusted Partner.JPG
The Trusted Partner.JPG (108.03 KiB) Viewed 960 times

Departure from Mumbai: 09th Sep 2016. Returned: 26th Sep 2016.

I had been following various forums related to Ladakh travel for long time and with particular keenness prior leaving for the trip. My heartfelt thanks to Mr Dheeraj and DOW team for the wonderful Himalayan travel forum, which helped me immensely during planning as well execution stage. Whichever information you require, it’s available there, no matter how minute it is; thanks again.

The Journey

Travel from Mumbai to Manali was uneventful and smooth - via Udaipur, Jaipur and Chandigarh (Total 1730 KM). Vishal joined me at Jaipur.
We spent one day at Manali to roam around and for Rohtang permit.
Onward Journey tale to follow soon...
Capttyagi

Re: Mumbai-Leh-Mumbai.......Drive of a Lifetime

Postby Shivendra009 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:25 am

Nice start captain , waiting for next post and beautiful pics of lama land .
Wanderer :D
Shivendra009
Wanderer

Postby dheerajsharma14 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:01 am

Wonderful start Captain, hooked on this one !! The beauty behind travel writing is that it lets you live those moments again, cherish them and soon you realize that the next trip has come :) ... Hence, it helps that heaviness feeling keep at bay :)
dheerajsharma14
Site Administrator

Postby Capttyagi » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:35 pm

Shivendra009 wrote:Nice start captain , waiting for next post and beautiful pics of lama land .

Thanks Shivendra. :D
Capttyagi

Postby Capttyagi » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:43 pm

dheerajsharma14 wrote:Wonderful start Captain, hooked on this one !! The beauty behind travel writing is that it lets you live those moments again, cherish them and soon you realize that the next trip has come :) ... Hence, it helps that heaviness feeling keep at bay :)

Thanks Dheeraj for liking the start and also for the guidance prior n during the trip.
Yes, travel writing is very useful/important to relive n cherish those wonderful moments. In my case it was also a way to fill the vacuum which had settled in after the journey.....u know the vacuum after accomplishing a long standing wish.
Capttyagi

Postby Capttyagi » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:35 pm

14/09: Manali – Jispa (Changing Landscapes and approaching "Destination")

Started from Manali at 0530, and within no time we were at Rohtang Pass, which wore a deserted look (not even a soul at that hour)

Boot Full……All set to go
Boot Full.jpg
Boot Full.jpg (47.38 KiB) Viewed 889 times

Deserted Rohtang at 0715
Rohtang.jpg
Rohtang.jpg (80.48 KiB) Viewed 889 times

Road from Rohtang to Khoksar is bad to say the least, as the road (few KMs after Rohtang) turned into mud/slush and pebbles. After Khoksar, roads were OK till few KM before Tandi. Thereafter, due to road development work, lot of dust in the atmosphere. Got little worried for the air filter! Got the tank topped up at the famous Tandi pump. After Tandi, it was good tarmac and hence smooth ride to Jispa.
There were beautiful Himalayan views all around. Very strong urge to stop at every changing landscape for photos. We didn’t curb that urge, as we were in no hurry…. our destination for the day being not too far…Jispa ( but couldn’t say the same for next day, when we were slated for Jispa – Leh run).
The landscape kept changing its colour and mood…….

…..from green……
Green.JPG
Green.JPG (73.24 KiB) Viewed 889 times

….to brown……
Dark Brown.JPG
Dark Brown.JPG (60.02 KiB) Viewed 889 times

Brown.JPG
Brown.JPG (40.58 KiB) Viewed 889 times

…..to multi-layered and multi-coloured......
Multi layered.JPG
Multi layered.JPG (57.36 KiB) Viewed 889 times

......and finally to barren.
Barren.JPG
Barren.JPG (87.3 KiB) Viewed 889 times

Reached Jispa by 1130. Checked in at IBEX. Had lunch and enjoyed siesta. Evening walk along the Bhag River was fantastic.

River Bhag @ Jispa.
River Bhag at Jispa.JPG
River Bhag at Jispa.JPG (77.92 KiB) Viewed 889 times

Mobile signals were erratic; we knew we were just one step away from our "Destination………."
Next day we had to start early to reach Leh before Sun-down. Excited, with the thoughts of the "Destination", we crashed to bed early.
Capttyagi

Postby sameerphatak » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:27 am

Excellent start Captain!!!
sameerphatak
Tripper

Postby Capttyagi » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:14 pm

sameerphatak wrote:Excellent start Captain!!!

Thanks Sameer.

Sent from my SM-A800F using Devil On Wheels Travel Community mobile app
Capttyagi

Postby Capttyagi » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:33 pm

15/09: Jispa – Leh ( Journey is…………………..the Destination)

We left hotel at 0630 and started on a blissful 330 Km journey towards Leh.

No words (or even cameras) can describe/justify the beauty of this passage; the superlative adjectives also fall short. The roads (or the lack of it), the passes (LAs in Ladakh), the landscapes, the people (or the lack of it) and finally the graffiti (of almighty) on the mountains; it seems we are in a different world; as if two Eastman colour movies are playing on both the sides and you are passing in between; if you look at one you miss the other.

I strongly recommend every driving enthusiast to at least once travel (preferably drive) on this road to have an experience of lifetime.

Clicked lot of pics, but as I said earlier: cameras dont entirely translate that grandeur…..you have to be there to experience it.

We passed Baralachla at 0800, had breakfast at Sarchu at 1000, crossed Gata Loops at 1130, passed Nakeela at 1215, passed Lachungla at 1245; lunch at Pang at 1400, passed Taglangla at 1530 and we reached Leh at 1830.
The sheer magnificence of the day’s trip compelled us to have one unanimous and unwavering thought that this journey from Manali to Leh…………………….is the “Destination” for us. Of course we knew that the region had more to offer.

Enjoy few of the numerous pics we had clicked on the way.
DSC_0101.JPG
DSC_0101.JPG (81.38 KiB) Viewed 837 times
DSC_0103.JPG
DSC_0103.JPG (116.16 KiB) Viewed 837 times
DSC_0106.JPG
DSC_0106.JPG (78.22 KiB) Viewed 837 times
DSC_0118.JPG
DSC_0118.JPG (121.03 KiB) Viewed 837 times
DSC_0141.JPG
DSC_0141.JPG (132.25 KiB) Viewed 837 times
DSC_0148.JPG
DSC_0148.JPG (69.32 KiB) Viewed 837 times
DSC_0175.JPG
DSC_0175.JPG (68.64 KiB) Viewed 837 times
DSC_0180.JPG
DSC_0180.JPG (42.7 KiB) Viewed 837 times
DSC_0184.JPG
DSC_0184.JPG (69.57 KiB) Viewed 837 times
DSC_0194.JPG
DSC_0194.JPG (54.04 KiB) Viewed 837 times
DSC_0196.JPG
DSC_0196.JPG (81.51 KiB) Viewed 837 times
DSC_0200.JPG
DSC_0200.JPG (48.35 KiB) Viewed 837 times
DSC_0206.JPG
DSC_0206.JPG (102.69 KiB) Viewed 837 times
DSC_0213.JPG
DSC_0213.JPG (63.44 KiB) Viewed 837 times
DSC_0233.JPG
DSC_0233.JPG (71.01 KiB) Viewed 837 times

We searched for hotel and finalized on Hotel Antelope (next to Leh Palace and walking distance to the main market). Had sumptuous meal and thinking about today’s journey and the associated sense of accomplishment, we hit the bed.
Capttyagi

Postby PrathameshV » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:04 am

Capttyagi wrote:The Prelude

…….. we woke up to an unusually heavy day at Jispa; had breakfast at the hotel, packed our bags and started the descent towards Manali. Somewhere after passing Keylong, both of us realised we have not spoken a word to each other since departure Jispa. Soon we figured out the reason; and we also figured out why we were feeling unusually heavy that day……….we were leaving the serenity of Ladakh and heading back into our chaotic world. We stopped over to shrug off the heaviness, when a local kid passing by innocently said to us “ Bye Bye – Phir se Aana”. His modest gesture somehow worked wonders on us and immediately we were back to life… cameras were out….. smile back on faces. We clicked few pics and resumed our return journey having made a promise to ourselves – we will come back to get Leh’d again……when ???…….well, before expiry of remaining Diamox Tablets.

DSC_0421.JPG

The Run-up

As most of the Leh travellers, it was a long cherished dream to travel to Leh…oh…drive to Leh! Plan was in place for almost 5-6 years, but due to various reasons, it was not converting to implementation. Eventually, in Sep this year, things fell in place and we drove to the magical land of Lamas. My travel partner was my brother, Vishal, who also happens to be my best buddy since childhood. I feel it’s very important to have a travel mate of a similar wavelength, when you undertake a journey of this significance / scale.

The Vehicle
Ecosport 1.0 L Ecoboost Petrol
The Trusted Partner.JPG

Departure from Mumbai: 09th Sep 2016. Returned: 26th Sep 2016.

I had been following various forums related to Ladakh travel for long time and with particular keenness prior leaving for the trip. My heartfelt thanks to Mr Dheeraj and DOW team for the wonderful Himalayan travel forum, which helped me immensely during planning as well execution stage. Whichever information you require, it’s available there, no matter how minute it is; thanks again.

The Journey

Travel from Mumbai to Manali was uneventful and smooth - via Udaipur, Jaipur and Chandigarh (Total 1730 KM). Vishal joined me at Jaipur.
We spent one day at Manali to roam around and for Rohtang permit.
Onward Journey tale to follow soon...

Could you pls give your contact details, as I need some info as I am planning leh from mumbai this May 17

Sent from my XT1562 using Devil On Wheels Travel Community mobile app
PrathameshV

Next

Return to Ladakh & Zanskar Valley