Delhi - Kinnaur - Spiti Valley | Road Conditions

Know or share about various road status and road conditions across various parts of the Himalayas, in this forum.

Re: Delhi - Kinnaur - Spiti Valley | Road Conditions

Postby diptak12 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:26 pm

Hi,

Im planning a trip to Spiti Valley in the middle of February this year with 5 of my friends (6 of us in total). Upon finding a plethora of information and help available in this forum, i thought you guys will be able to help me plan the trip more effectively.

My itinerary sounds like -
11th Feb (Saturday) - reaching Shimla
12th Feb (Sunday) - heading outto Shimla, reach and stay at Kalpa
13th Feb (Monday) - reach and stay at Kaza
14th Feb (Tuesday) - Buffer
15th Feb (Wednesday) - Buffer/heading back
16th Feb (Thursady) - heading back
17th Feb (Friday) - reach Shimla by 6pm

Per head budget would not be more than 9k for each of the 6 of us for the above mentioned itinerary.

This will be a broad skeleton plan accommodating the destination and activities realtime basis the conditions present during this period.

It would be great if you guys can help me with recommendation and details about the following -
1- Travel options from and back to Shimla. We are very tight on budget and have a capacity to spend at most 22k-25k(all inclusive for travel) for the 6 days, 5 nights of travel. The important factors which would help us zero down on our decision would be the
* car type (important) - preferably a recent 4X4 vehicle in good condition, Innova will suffice if 4x4 is unavailable. Would not prefer Sumo, Xylo, Quanto, XUV500, Scorpio 2WD, and the like.
* driver - expecting adequacy to guide us, become like family and also warn us against proceeding should the conditions not seem favourable. Along with car type, he will have to be very well equipped to handle extreme conditions with necessary provisions, should it arise.
2 - Stay options. As already mentioned, we are very tight on budget and the 6 of us will have capacity to spend a maximum of Rs 300 - Rs 400 per day per head on accommodation. We would require the basic amenities - bed, blankets, stove to keep warm, and drinking water. Electricity would be a bonus. Any food is fine with us.

Any other missing factor/suggestions is very much welcome since it is still a very broad plan.

Looking forward to your help.

Thanks in advance.
diptak12

Postby dheerajsharma14 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:47 am

diptak12 wrote:Hi,

Im planning a trip to Spiti Valley in the middle of February this year with 5 of my friends (6 of us in total). Upon finding a plethora of information and help available in this forum, i thought you guys will be able to help me plan the trip more effectively.

Welcome to DoW Community Dipak !!

My itinerary sounds like -

Plan seems OK, provided all roads are open all the days you travel and you don't get stuck in snow anywhere.

[url]1- Travel options from and back to Shimla. We are very tight on budget and have a capacity to spend at most 22k-25k(all inclusive for travel) for the 6 days, 5 nights of travel. The important factors which would help us zero down on our decision would be the
* car type (important) - preferably a recent 4X4 vehicle in good condition, Innova will suffice if 4x4 is unavailable. Would not prefer Sumo, Xylo, Quanto, XUV500, Scorpio 2WD, and the like.
* driver - expecting adequacy to guide us, become like family and also warn us against proceeding should the conditions not seem favourable. Along with car type, he will have to be very well equipped to handle extreme conditions with necessary provisions, should it arise.

[/url]

You can get connected directly to some drivers in Spiti Valley or Kinnaur Valley at the link: http://devilonwheels.com/india/himalayan-travel-guides/taxi-drivers-spiti-valley-kinnaur-valley-t849.html. These drivers can come and pick you up from Manali / Shimla / Delhi / Chandigarh too, of course with a price of pickup as well.

The rates of the taxis are about Rs 3000-3500 per day depending upon the number of days you plan to travel, more the days, less the price.

Otherwise, taxis in general are also available on the spot from Shimla or Manali from respective taxi stands

2 - Stay options. As already mentioned, we are very tight on budget and the 6 of us will have capacity to spend a maximum of Rs 300 - Rs 400 per day per head on accommodation. We would require the basic amenities - bed, blankets, stove to keep warm, and drinking water. Electricity would be a bonus. Any food is fine with us.

Most of the options will be closed and those open will have enough vacant spaces to accommodate in home stays. So, home stays in general shall be fine ane economic.

Do read: http://devilonwheels.com/plan-trip-spiti-valley-winters/
dheerajsharma14
Site Administrator

Postby diptak12 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:41 am

Hi Dheeraj,

Thank you for the warm welcome.

I have been following all the mentioned posts and updates quite frequently. Even more so as the dates are approaching fast - 30 more days to go.
I have contacted multiple drivers from the list - 70% of them say that the trip will be possible while the others do not recommend the dates. Among the ones who agree, some would not go without a 4x4 vehicle(two vehicles were also recommended for accommodating 6 of us) while others maintain that an Innova would suffice my requirements.

I would keep the option of Spot booking of taxis from Shimla as my extreme last resort as my stay in Shimla will be very short(reaching at 6 pm and a night at most to head out early towards Spiti Valley the next morning).

I understand that it is difficult for any driver to commit the dates confidently since all of it is going to depend on the conditions prevalent at that time. Hence, how would you recommend that i plan and proceed with my car/taxi journey options?

Also, as you suggested, we are looking for homestays only. Upon speaking to these drivers, most of them assured that they would be able to provide contacts or options for homestays at each of the stops we are going to make.

Along with that, in the best case scenario that the weather and road conditions are favourable, which are the places that you have us visit/stay/travel around while we are on the journey? As again, the itinerary that i outlined in my initial post -
diptak12 wrote:My itinerary sounds like -

is a broad plan. The finer details and spots would add more clarity and excitement to our plan. We would then have to make a call basis the conditions and the driver's recommendations if we can hit all the spots or pass a few.

Further suggestions from anyone else will be greatly appreciated. Would be best if it is someone who has just come back from this route, or have previously been to this place around this time of the year.

Thanks in advance again.
diptak12

Postby dheerajsharma14 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:15 pm

diptak12 wrote:Hi Dheeraj,

Thank you for the warm welcome.

I have been following all the mentioned posts and updates quite frequently. Even more so as the dates are approaching fast - 30 more days to go.
I have contacted multiple drivers from the list - 70% of them say that the trip will be possible while the others do not recommend the dates. Among the ones who agree, some would not go without a 4x4 vehicle(two vehicles were also recommended for accommodating 6 of us) while others maintain that an Innova would suffice my requirements.

Well, 6 in an Innova with a driver and luggage will be a bit too tight I will say.

I would keep the option of Spot booking of taxis from Shimla as my extreme last resort as my stay in Shimla will be very short(reaching at 6 pm and a night at most to head out early towards Spiti Valley the next morning).

In that case it is better to book in advance with someone.

I understand that it is difficult for any driver to commit the dates confidently since all of it is going to depend on the conditions prevalent at that time. Hence, how would you recommend that i plan and proceed with my car/taxi journey options?

You should be in touch with them constantly, I will say start 3-5 days before the trip and check weather sites. Start discussing with them and take a call a day before and in case no advance is passed, make sure to give them a call that you have left and will reach on so and so time so that they can come anc pick you up.

Also, as you suggested, we are looking for homestays only. Upon speaking to these drivers, most of them assured that they would be able to provide contacts or options for homestays at each of the stops we are going to make.

Yes, they have contacts, that should be easy.

13th Feb (Monday) - reach and stay at Tabo
14th Feb (Tuesday) - Tabo - Kaza, check out Dhangkar. Pin Valley most likely be closed.
15th Feb (Wednesday) - Check out Ki, Kibber, Langza which ever is open.
16th Feb (Thursady) - Head back to Kalpa
dheerajsharma14
Site Administrator

Previous

Return to Road Status & Conditions