Spiti & Kinnaur in June end

Ask your queries about planning a trip to Lahaul, Spiti & Kinnaur Valley or help other fellow travelers with their queries, in this forum.

Spiti & Kinnaur in June end

Postby vpgupta » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:57 pm

Hi Dheeraj,

Here is my plan for this month end and need your guidance.

Travelers: Myself, wife and kids aged 9 & 7.
Vehicle: XUV 5OO W6

Day-1 (22-Jun-2013)
Start early from Jaipur and reach Narkanda by late evening. Traveling distance 700km, Approx time: 16 hours
Probable staying (not booked yet) - Either Hotel Mahamaya Palace or Hotel Hatu.
Day-2 (23-Jun-2013)
Morning visit Hatu Peak and leave for Rakcham reach by evening. Traveling distance 175km, Approx time: 7 hours
Probable staying (not booked yet) - Hotel Rupin River view [1200/- Cottage - Triple Bed]
Day-3 (24-Jun-2013)
Morning visit Chitkul, evening in Rakcham and around.
Probable staying (not booked yet) - Hotel Rupin River view [1200/- Cottage - Triple Bed]
Day-4 (25-Jun-2013)
Rach Nako Lake by afternoon (Lunch), then to Tabo. Night halt at Tabo. Traveling distance 125 + 60, Approx time: 5 + 3 hours
Probable staying (not booked yet) - Tashi Khangsar [no idea on rates]
Day-5 (26-Jun-2013)
Visit Kaza and around. Night halt at Kaza. Traveling distance 50, Approx time: 3 hours
Probable staying (not booked yet) - The Spiti [1800/- DBR Regular (MAP)]
Day-6 (27-Jun-2013)
Start from Kaza and reach Kalpa by evening. Traveling distance 210, Approx time: 8 hours
Probable staying (not booked yet) - Sun n Snow Cottage [1100/- 3 bedded room]
Day-7 (28-Jun-2013)
Start from Kalpa in afternoon, visit Bhimkali Temple, night halt at Sarahan. Traveling distance 90, Approx time: 4 hours
Probable staying (not booked yet) - Hotel Srikhand [1600/- DBR Regular]
Day-8 (29-Jun-2013)
Start for Kiarighat. Evening in Simla then to Kiarighat. Traveling distance 180, Approx time: 6 hours
Probable staying (not booked yet) - The Apple Cart Inn [1300/- Double Bed Room Economy]
Day-9 (30-Jun-2013)
Start from Kiarighat to Jaipur. Traveling distance 600, Approx time: 14 hours

Queries
1. Do I need permits for any of the above places?
2. Any chance of catching snow?(except on the mountain tops)
3. Any particular road sections I should worry about?
4. Should I take the Chail route instead of Simla?
5. Does any of these places need heavy woolens?
6. What are the chances of getting accommodation @PWD/govt guest houses? Can you recommend any other cheaper night halts?

Please feel free to give valuable inputs. I planned this trip reading stuff on the net and specially
1. http://devilonwheels.com/index.php/spit ... -itinerary
2. http://devilonwheels.com/index.php/spit ... a-to-delhi

Thanks in advance.
vpgupta

Re: Spiti & Kinnaur in June end

Postby dheerajsharma14 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:52 pm

vpgupta wrote:Queries
1. Do I need permits for any of the above places?
2. Any chance of catching snow?(except on the mountain tops)
3. Any particular road sections I should worry about?
4. Should I take the Chail route instead of Simla?
5. Does any of these places need heavy woolens?
6. What are the chances of getting accommodation @PWD/govt guest houses? Can you recommend any other cheaper night halts?

vpgupta, Welcome to DoW-HTC Family!! :)

Before I comment on the itinerary, since you are not planning to book in advance then why not give it shot to come around from Manali side? I feel it might open by end otherwise you have the option to come back this way. We can then discuss both the plans once you make up your mind because by above plan it just seems that your are touching Spiti Valley and coming back!! Also, considering kids, it seems a bit stressed too.

I will anyhow answer the queries:

1. You as domestic tourist do not need any permits (foreigners do need the ILP) but will be required to register at police checkposts just ahead of Akpa bridge and Sumdo.

2. Very slim, may be around Kunzum and ahead of it and Rohtang while coming back from Manali side.

3. You have a high GC vehicle, so nothing much to worry but still go through: Delhi - Kinnaur - Spiti Valley | Road Conditions

4. Try Chail route only while coming back otherwise drive from Jaipur to Narkanda which is already very long will appear more long because it is not highway and that wide road as the Highway is. BUT, if going back the same route you can try for it.

5. Carry atleast a pair, though will not be required but just in case because it is Trans Himalayas and things change very quickly here.

6. On the spot booking the PWD ones, slim and you can book them but stil in case some VIP is visiting they might ask to vacate though AFAIK they are not supposed to do so. If not booking then keep both options open. Once we finalize the plan we can discuss over accommodation too.
dheerajsharma14
Site Administrator

Postby vpgupta » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:39 am

Thanks for replying.

As much as I want to do Kunzum pass and then to Manali, I am not able to convince myself. Reason, altitude and then your article on AMS. You got it in your last trip. With kids I do not want to risk it. (Although I did Jwalaji, Chamba (via Jot), Bhramour, Khajjair, Kalatop, Dalhousie, Daramshala, Mcleodganj, Bagsu, Naddi last month, but then it was not at much height.) Maybe next year but for now am very much sticking to the plan as mentioned.

Again thanks for showing consideration for the kids being stressed, but they are now accustomed to long drives to mountains, being doing since they were born. Also for your replies on all the questions.

I'm planning to get the bookings done today. With the family along cannot risk PWD and their VIP guests. :)
1. What would your suggestions as to accommodations on the places planned?
2. With the tight schedule in mind, what are the local places to visit at the places we're visiting?

Again thanks in advance.
Vipin.
vpgupta

Postby dheerajsharma14 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:55 am

Vipin, if you are worrying of AMS then you will be under scanner of AMS as soon as you reach Kaza but please don't worry you are doing it gradually with stays at Narkanda, Rakcham and Tabo :) ... I did direct run to from Narkanda and then Tabo and then Losar which was too much. I did not get hit with AMS on the first day but only after only on second day when I went towards Kunzum on bike without helmet and then had a good trek at such high altitude with Unacclimatized body :( ... One mistake and it was all over :D

Anyways, lets work out on your plan.
1. Should be fine but for Tabo you can opt for Tow Dhey, a new property I stayed there and was fine enough. At Kaza better go with Sakya Abode OR Spiti Sarai. The Spiti is not that good and expensive too. Rest looks fine to me.

However, as suggested above why not go to Chail from Kufri and stay there instead of going to Kiarighat from Sarahan and following same route. It is one of the beautiful drives you will have on the route.

2. Since, you are in Kaza for a day I will say do cover Langza at least if not Komik along with Ki and kibber. These 4 places shall be on top priority rather any other keeping in mind the drive from Tabo to Kaza as well. So, leave as early as possible from Tabo to make it worth :)

In Sangla, given the amount of time you will be covering enough and may be add Kamru fort and trout hatchery farm in Sangla. In Kalpa, may be you can go upto Roghi and chat with old locals to know more about the region and history.
dheerajsharma14
Site Administrator

Postby vpgupta » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:50 pm

Dheeraj,

Thanks for your valuable suggestions. Also noted your thoughts on AMS. Additionally talk with Mr. Ramesh Lal (Lotey ji) of Stipt Sarai, has got me re-planning the route. Am now going to attempt Kumzum pass & complete the circle by coming back via Manali. Hopefully it will be open by then. Otherwise will come back the same route.

Day-1 (22-Jun-2013)
Start early from Jaipur and reach Narkanda by late evening. Traveling distance 700km, Approx time: 16 hours
Booking - Hotel Mahamaya Palace [Contact person Mr. Anit +91-98169-48668, +91-1782-242648]
Day-2 (23-Jun-2013)
Morning visit Hatu Peak and leave for Rakcham reach by evening. Traveling distance 175km, Approx time: 7 hours
Booking - Hotel Rupin River view [Contact Mr. Naresh Jishtu +91-1786-244225, +91-94180-92894]
Day-3 (24-Jun-2013)
Morning visit Chitkul, evening in Rakcham and around.
Booking - Hotel Rupin River view [Contact Mr. Naresh Jishtu +91-1786-244225, +91-94180-92894]
Day-4 (25-Jun-2013)
Start from Rakcham visit Trout farm in Sangla and proceed to Kalpa. Do Langza as suggested.
Probable staying (not booked yet) - Hotel Sun n Snow Cottage
Bit expensive option - Hotel Kinner Villa [Mr.Shivdayal Negi +91-94180-36006; Anil Purohit (Manager) +91-94184-41036, +91-1786-226006]
Day-5 (26-Jun-2013)
Rach Nako Lake by afternoon (Lunch), then to Tabo. Night halt at Tabo. Traveling distance 125 + 60, Approx time: 5 + 3 hours
Booked - Tow Dhey [Mr. Anil Bodh - +91-94182-71129 Mr. D.C.Thakur (Manager) +91-94596-79397]
Day-6 (27-Jun-2013)
Visit Langza, Ki and Kibber, then Kaza. Night halt at Kaza. Traveling distance 50, Approx time: 3 hours
Booked - Spiti Sarai [Mr. Ramesh Lal (Lotey) +91-94184-39247]
Day-7 (28-Jun-2013)
Start from Kaza early morning. Kunzum & Rothang Pass to Manali. Traveling distance 200, Approx time: 12 hours
Probable staying (not booked yet) - Hotel Beas
Day-8 (29-Jun-2013)
Start for Darlaghat in afternoon. Only reach staying here is to cut travel time/distance from Manali to Jaipur. Traveling distance 200, Approx time: 6 hours
Probable staying (not booked yet) - Hotel Baghal
Day-9 (30-Jun-2013)
Start from Darlaghat to Jaipur. Traveling distance 600, Approx time: 14 hours

Question: Am still concerned about AMS. Should we all start taking Diamox in advance, I mean after reaching Narkanda? (I will be consulting my Doctor of course).
My vehicle is 2X2 FWD. Will that pose an issue at both the above passes?
vpgupta

Postby dheerajsharma14 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:45 pm

Great Vipin, well I will suggest better keep the body hydrated and read the article of AMS and Acclimatization for more tips to avoid AMS. You are taking enough night halts before reaching Kaza and further beyond Kaza. Hence, it shall not be an issue at all. Eat protein rich diet too.

Secondly, all one prefer is high GC vehicle and a bit of skills and you will be fine with it :) ... Lastly, it is Roghi village near Kalpa not Langza.
dheerajsharma14
Site Administrator

Postby vpgupta » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:21 am

Dheeraj,

Another aspect of my trip that is bothering me now is 'RAINS'. With monsoon to hit by 15-June, what are the chances of getting rains while on this trip? With rains there is landslides and very bad roads.
Please advice.

Vipin.
vpgupta

Postby dheerajsharma14 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:29 am

Vipin, one cannot predict rains though June is fine period to travel. AFAIK, the forecasts of rains are next week or so. It is mid July onward that rains causes problems more as compared to this season.

June, is known for rains but those are intermittent only not regular ones. I doubt that monsoons will be in fury so early :D ... Little rain here and there you have to expect in June though I do not think it will be monsoon flurry ::)
dheerajsharma14
Site Administrator

Postby robin983gahlawat » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:11 pm

Mr.VPGUPTA
i think if u are going to rakcham then u should drop the idea of staying at hotel rupin river view as last year i stayed there and found the food not worth and also very expensive,the rooms were also just o.k. i think u should go for the tent stay river side which has equal rent but a far better stay in the lap of nature.so u should give it a look after reaching there.hope u find it useful...... :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
robin983gahlawat

Postby robin983gahlawat » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:28 pm

there is also the option of homestay at rakcham which i heard was also economical and gud :)
robin983gahlawat

Next

Return to Lahaul, Spiti & Kinnaur Valley