Itinerary Advice for Spiti Valley & Kinnaur Valley

Ask your queries about planning a trip to Lahaul, Spiti & Kinnaur Valley or help other fellow travelers with their queries, in this forum.

Itinerary Advice for Spiti Valley & Kinnaur Valley

Postby Lizi » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:01 pm

Hi...

This is a great information source for everyone travelling to Spiti... Thanks a lot. :)

I am travelling solo to Spiti from Delhi on 3rd September. I am taking the Kinnaur Valley route suggested by you to try as much as possible to acclimatize (and also because the places look so tempting). ;)

So the rough itinerary will be:
Day 1: Delhi - Shimla
Day 2: Overnight in Shimla
Day 3: Shimla - Sangla
Day 4: Sangla - Chitkul - Sangla - Kalpa
Day 5: Kalpa - Nako - Tabo - Kaza

I had a couple of queries on this itinerary:

1. Is there a bus connecting all these places? (I guess not. Because I have already searched everywhere. :roll: )
2. If not, can anyone please suggest me a driver with whom I can travel safely as I am going alone? ;)
3. How much would be the taxi charges approximately for 3 days? (from Shimla to Kaza)

It would be a great help. Thanks a ton.
Lizi

Re: Itinerary Advice for Spiti Valley & Kinnaur Valley

Postby dheerajsharma14 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:18 am

@Lizi, welcome to DoW Community :) :)

1. Is there a bus connecting all these places? (I guess not. Because I have already searched everywhere. :roll: )

Buses are there but partially connecting these places. Like,

There are buses that runs between Shimla - Reckong Peo, may be occasional bus to Sangla as well but Reckong Peo - Shimla, there are quite options on daily basis. You can get down at Karcham and get a bus or shared taxi to Sangla / Chitkul from there.

Then, from Reckong Peo - Sangla there are shared taxis and buses available. From Reckong Peop, you get shared taxis and buses to Kalpa too. And from Reckong Peo there is a direct daily bus to Kaza that leaves 7 in the morning. So, this way it can be done.

2. If not, can anyone please suggest me a driver with whom I can travel safely as I am going alone? ;)

I would suggest to stick to public transport because in any case, Shimla to Reckong Peo / Kalpa and Reckong Peo to Kaza is easily doable having connecting daily buses. You can save the money and spend that in Spiti for personal or shared taxis. A personal taxi to Chandratal will be a better bet in case you do not find any shared tour or partner during that period.

3. How much would be the taxi charges approximately for 3 days? (from Shimla to Kaza)

Will be quite costly, should be in the range of 13-14K
dheerajsharma14
Site Administrator

Postby Lizi » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:48 am

Hi Deepak...

Thank you so much... You solved out a big problem... :P Now I am taking a bus from Shimla to Reckong Peo and then going to Kalpa directly from there. (Hope its not too much altitude for a day :roll: )

I was thinking I would stay at Kalpa only and from there I can go to Sangla & Chitkul. Will half a day be enough for this (Kalpa-Sangla-Chitkul-Kalpa)? Will I get shared taxis for this from Kalpa? Or a bus?

And as there is only one bus from Peo to Kaza, it doesnt get cancelled right? :lol:

I was reading in one of your posts about some landslides in July on the Kinnaur route, do you have any info on the road conditions now?

Thanks a lot for creating this site again. Most of my plan is getting finalized through here. :)
Lizi

Postby dheerajsharma14 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:28 am

Lizi wrote:Hi Deepak...

Its Dheeraj :D

Thank you so much... You solved out a big problem... :P Now I am taking a bus from Shimla to Reckong Peo and then going to Kalpa directly from there. (Hope its not too much altitude for a day :roll: )

It should be fine. Still under 3000 Mtrs. Keep body hydrated for sure.

I was thinking I would stay at Kalpa only and from there I can go to Sangla & Chitkul. Will half a day be enough for this (Kalpa-Sangla-Chitkul-Kalpa)? Will I get shared taxis for this from Kalpa? Or a bus?

You will get the commute from Reckong Peo and between Reckong Peo to Kalpa, many things will be available including jeeps and buses. However, when you reach Reckong peo, check the schedule for next day at bus stop.

And as there is only one bus from Peo to Kaza, it doesnt get cancelled right? :lol:

Most likely dont unless something extreme happens. They take the people even to the nearest drivable point and then exchange passengers from the bus coming from the other side of blocked points and after this exchange the buses move back with passengers swapped at the blocked point.

I was reading in one of your posts about some landslides in July on the Kinnaur route, do you have any info on the road conditions now?

Currently, all roads are open and doable.

Thanks a lot for creating this site again. Most of my plan is getting finalized through here. :)

Quite a pleasure, do check out DoW Causes link in my signature and see if you spread some smiles too in Himalayas :)
dheerajsharma14
Site Administrator

Postby sany » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:38 am

Lizi, for a solo traveller, you should just go ahead and dare your self to fight all odds (however their will be none in the time frame you mentioned). As dheeraj bhai suggested you to take shimla to peo bus after that you may see options of bus and many shared taxi's or a tempo traveller also (i noticed last time in spiti).

Please look into our causes section, 4-5 different stories of sharing smiles in spiti valley has changed the outlook of the travellers. May you join the league of those Devil on wheels and satisfy your inner thirst for being a responsible traveler also.
The traveler has only one thing on mind.................NOTHING! Keep Going without bothering how its gonna end....
sany
Wanderer

Postby Lizi » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:06 pm

Thank you Dheeraj ( :D no good with names) and Sany...

I went through the DoW causes... its a wonderful thing you guys are doing... :) I guess I will go with the stationary one... ;)
Lizi

Postby dheerajsharma14 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:24 pm

Cool, thank you so much. We will eagerly wait for your account on Travel Experience as well as DoW Causes being executed to spread smiles. It will surely gonna motivate many others :)
dheerajsharma14
Site Administrator

Postby sany » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:01 pm

Thank you so much for sharing our vision go on and do the needful...Proud of you " DARE , CARE & SHARE"
The traveler has only one thing on mind.................NOTHING! Keep Going without bothering how its gonna end....
sany
Wanderer

Return to Lahaul, Spiti & Kinnaur Valley