Sopona Lake - A beautiful Disappointment

Share your Lahaul, Spiti & Kinnaur Valley traveling experiences or stories with other like minded travelers, in this forum.

Sopona Lake - A beautiful Disappointment

Postby PreetKamal » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:25 pm

DSC_0477.jpg
The Sopona as it looks
DSC_0477.jpg (77.43 KiB) Viewed 3574 times
Spiti Valley is Called Valley of Hidden Gems all over ……….I was Lucky enough to go to Spiti Valley with Devil on Wheels Spiti Valley Mega Meet 2014.It was a Experience of Life time to accompany them…Sopona Lake was one of the trek which was planned from starting with other two treks (Dankar Lake and Chandar Tal Lake)
There is no Much Information available on Sopona Lake on the internet as very few people have attempted it…..Sopona Lake is Lake which is situated at the Altitude of more than 4900 mtrs between the beautiful high peaks. The Sopona Lake Also work as the Base camp for the Mountaineers who attempt Mani ragna Pass (5900 mtrs) and Maniragna Peak (6998 mtrs).The lake is Surrounded by beautiful scenic view of the Snow Covered Mountains and Green grass lands..Best Time is to Go from june to Aug…..
Sopona Lake trek starts from Mane Village .On Kaza-tabo road there is small road deviates which goes up the valley towards Mane Village.The trek is about 6/7 km from Mane village.I would rate this Trek as Moderate for the Seasoned Trekkers and Difficult for first timers.You don’t need Guide for this trek but can take it along to be on safer side as way gets little confusing some times and you tend to lose your way

So as Planned by all last night that the trek will start at 6 in the morning with the help of expert guide. It was Day 4 of the trip and lots of people have backed out of this trek due to last days fatigue of dankar lake .Only 5-7 people were ready as per last night but by time of departure the strength grew up to 25 people and after having tea in the morning in lawn of the homestay we were staying..we were set on our trek by Dheeraj Bhai and Pawan Ji as both were not accompanying us as some causes were to be conducted in the village.The group was guided by a local guide Dorjay who has even trek upto Maniragna Pass 4 time.He was man in his late 60’s but he was fit and always in front leading the group…quite a impressive old man..always thought will I be able to even walk in that age.Mostly all the guys from our group were attempting it(Samar,Vinay,ayush,Sunny and me) so we knew it’s going to be a fun trip. The trek started with a straight uphill climb which exhausts you in starting 10 minutes and you start wondering should I do it or not.As told by locals the trek started getting more and more steep as we were moving upwards and the view of the valley just started getting better and breath taking…..Vinay and sunny had something special in there tea as they were just running like horses and were way way ahead of us…Me,samar and Ayush were together till a midpoint were samar’s body builder stamina gave up and wanted to rest for a while …..Just Asked him to rest and started moving forward..as I have mind set of never sitting in any treks as it has bad impact on my legs…so I kept on moving…The trek was getting difficult as it got changed into a climb…were we have to climb a 75-80 degrees stretch, Seriously telling you that stretch was high point of the trek as it just scared hell out of me. .but after negotiating the stretch the dividend we got was mind-blowing…The view from ithat point was something I have never seen in my life…..as I kept walking I was all alone now.. As most of the people who started turned back due to the difficulty level of the trek.
It was so peaceful walking alone…..I was able to listen to my breath at that height and the silence around was so amazing…which we concrete people (who live in concrete jungle) thrust for…..
The trek was getting more and more steep and I was amazed to see abache (A Spanish guy was all over the place….one moment he was ahead of me and other moment he would be standing on the cliff of the mountain clicking some picture…He was all over the place and mind you he wasn’t the fittest foreigner I have ever seen….we even named him football due to his weight but he really got big stamina and strong legs ,hats off to him….
I was getting exhausted as it was really steep and sun was shining hard..it was like we are really close to it…..But won’t complain on views it was offering , Nobody from entire trip was close to me…as I was not able to see anybody…only Abache was seen on different cliffs at different moments ..after that he disappears …I use to pull his leg whenever he use to pass me by asking him…how much left abache and he will reply I don’t know man…….And after asking him few time he lost his cool and replied Man how I am supposed to know it’s your country you should know and I was literally had fall laughing ……
After walking for about exact 2.30 hours I had a first view of the lake and I was heartbroken seeing it ……..and I said to myself What the @#$% is this…….All the lake was dried up only 1/4th of the lake was having water…..I was utterly disappointed on seeing it but as reached near the lake the views changed my mind set…the views all around the lake was so astonishing and majestic that I forgot about the disappointment …..Anna and Sunny with guide were already present…all were sleeping like horses with guide was looking at the sky(I think he was contacting Some UFO or Saying to God Here I bring some more).Sat there and started absorbing the nature and the silence …it was the moment that will go with me till end……I just layed down and started feeling each every breath of mine……I don’t know when I went to sleep..After half hour all started reaching…Samardeep singh as per ayush bhai was on verge of going back but was dragged by Sonjoy da and Ayush ….

Then guide explained us about the nearby peaks and pass..the Highest peak of the region was Mani ragna at 6998 mtrs and I was surprised to know Dorjay uncle did it once…..I was about to pass out after hearing this….All of us had breakfast which we brought along with us ..It was well earned breakfast after such a trek…after relaxing a while all went on the lake bed to click some pictures were we found pug marks of various animals...even of leopard :oops: ..after spending good 1.30 hrs we decided to move down
As we were moving down…we were stunned to see anmol ji comimg up..he was guy above 50 and above 90 kgs ….but he made it to the top…was quite impressed by him…..As we started down wards the fun part started with clicking a lots of pictures and dancing on the altitude of 4900 mtrs to celebrate our success…..and it was quite a fun
We always knew coming down would be hard on narrow path ..that too with lots of gravels…all were doing fine.. when I had a fall on 80 degree cliff…and it was quite a fall but got hold of a rock and was saved by grace of god…after that I became little caution and my speed came down.. but never the less the time I was spending with other devils was mind-blowing..we came down in exact 6 hours …..Coming down was really very hard on the knees and ankles due the terrain and steep downhill…..but we made it successfully…..

Sopana Lake will always be beautiful memory for me as it surely is a hidden gem in the laps of the mother nature……….what if lake was dried but the scenic view around it and company of such wonderful Devil’s made it life long experience
Attachments
DSC_0499.jpg
DSC_0499.jpg (66.17 KiB) Viewed 3573 times
DSC_0486.jpg
DSC_0486.jpg (110.48 KiB) Viewed 3573 times
DSC_0483.jpg
The Sopona as it looks
DSC_0483.jpg (60.74 KiB) Viewed 3573 times
DSC_0480.jpg
The Sopona as it looks
DSC_0480.jpg (66.79 KiB) Viewed 3573 times
DSC_0478.jpg
The Sopona as it looks
DSC_0478.jpg (99.22 KiB) Viewed 3573 times
DSC_0476.jpg
The Sopona as it looks
DSC_0476.jpg (52.96 KiB) Viewed 3573 times
DSC_0460.jpg
The Sopona as it looks
DSC_0460.jpg (60.37 KiB) Viewed 3573 times
DSC_0456.jpg
The Sopona as it looks
DSC_0456.jpg (45.13 KiB) Viewed 3573 times
DSC_0452.jpg
The Sopona as it looks
DSC_0452.jpg (52.08 KiB) Viewed 3573 times
DSC_0451.jpg
The Sopona as it looks
DSC_0451.jpg (58.44 KiB) Viewed 3574 times
DSC_0447.jpg
The Sopona as it looks
DSC_0447.jpg (67.13 KiB) Viewed 3574 times
DSC_0441.jpg
The Sopona as it looks
DSC_0441.jpg (82.86 KiB) Viewed 3574 times
DSC_0440.jpg
The Sopona as it looks
DSC_0440.jpg (44.13 KiB) Viewed 3574 times
DSC_0177.jpg
The Sopona as it looks
DSC_0177.jpg (46.14 KiB) Viewed 3574 times
Mountain Rides Always Calm Down the Unsettled seas of our soul , and Help Us emerge a much happier, calmer and sorted human being
PreetKamal
DoW Core Team

Re: Sopona Lake - A beautiful Disappointment

Postby PreetKamal » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:30 pm

Some more pictures
Attachments
DSC_0519.jpg
DSC_0519.jpg (63.36 KiB) Viewed 3573 times
DSC_0518.jpg
DSC_0518.jpg (55.68 KiB) Viewed 3573 times
DSC_0503.jpg
DSC_0503.jpg (44.32 KiB) Viewed 3573 times
DSC_0502.jpg
DSC_0502.jpg (102.34 KiB) Viewed 3573 times
DSC_0501.jpg
DSC_0501.jpg (80.46 KiB) Viewed 3573 times
DSC_0500.jpg
DSC_0500.jpg (73.98 KiB) Viewed 3573 times
Mountain Rides Always Calm Down the Unsettled seas of our soul , and Help Us emerge a much happier, calmer and sorted human being
PreetKamal
DoW Core Team

Postby soumen230213 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:10 pm

Super bhai... Wish I can do it too... Aur photu dalo Preet bhai agar hain toh
Thanks and Regards,
Soumen Bhowmick
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
“Live not for Battles Won.
Live not for The-End-of-the-Song.
Live in the along.”
soumen230213
DoW Core Team

Postby sameerphatak » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:45 am

Excellent hai Bhai! Keep it up.
sameerphatak
Tripper

Postby navneet1986 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:47 pm

Good going Preet Bhai..

Cheerz!!
Road Trips: Bhutan Apr'16-May'16; Now Running | Spiti Sep'14-Oct'14 | Kinnaur Jul'14
Trekking: Indrahaar Pass; Now Running
Solo: Winter Trip to Spiti & Kinnaur; Dec'15-Jan'16; Coming Soon
navneet1986
DoW Core Team

Postby getpackingvinod » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:31 pm

Beautiful.. Nice place.. Had I also come on the mega meet, I'm sure I would have also dropped out midway!! and 70 degrees incline, how did you climb it kudos to you guys.
getpackingvinod
Site Moderator

Postby PreetKamal » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:58 pm

Thank you all.........
@soumen230213, will upload some more

@getpackingvinod,Bro we would have dragged you up there...wouldn't have let you drop out :)
PreetKamal
DoW Core Team

Postby dheerajsharma14 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:34 pm

Excellent details Preet !! Finally we have more info. on Sopona Lake over Internet and this time in English, thanks to DoW :D :D ...

Bhai but this 75-80 degrees kuch zada ho gaya :lol: :lol: ... I believe you that trek was tough, but let's make it 55-60 degrees :lol: :lol: (theek theek laga lo)
dheerajsharma14
Site Administrator

Postby PreetKamal » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:53 pm

@dheerajsharma14,

Bhai actually it was like that only...but agar aap itna zor de ke khe rehe ho to hum 60 maan lete hai...... :D
PreetKamal
DoW Core Team

Postby subhankarpaul » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:30 pm

Excellent pictures.
But where is the trip report?
and miles to go before i sleep ..........
subhankarpaul
Rookie

Next

Return to Lahaul, Spiti & Kinnaur Valley