package tour or own customised tour for ladakh

Read, learn and share more about Traveling to Leh - Ladakh & Zanskar Valley through these travel guides and articles, in this forum.

package tour or own customised tour for ladakh

Postby rashmimv3 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:12 pm

Hi,
I am planning to visit wuth my husband ladakh around aug end or september. Can you please tell good time to visit ladakh.
Either we plan to take a group package from a well known online travel company, where traveling to leh-delhi-leh would be from flights. Or we would like to go on our own from from srinagar, explore some places on srinagar-leh highway. Can you please highlight the pros n cons of both, including approximate the cost for the custmised package, including, travel, food, stay, permits, etc.
In case the difference of customised package and group package is not much, we plan to go for customised one. Since, we want to explore places, like kargil, drass, etc.
Please help.
rashmimv3

Re: package tour or own customised tour for ladakh

Postby dheerajsharma14 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:59 pm

Rashmi, welcome to DoW-HTC !! :) :)

The time you are planning is fine time to travel Ladakh. It is always better to make or plan your trip to Ladakh on your own. The biggest advantage is that you do not follow the orders strictly, there is lot more flexibility, in case of any delays or road blocks your money remains intact with you and do not go for a toss. Above all with all the information now present on DoW Blog and Forum, it is failry easy to plan your journey in apt way so that you have it memorable enough and above all save good amount of money too along with maximum flexibility.

Better go with self organized tour!!
dheerajsharma14
Site Administrator

Postby aashish2137 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:13 pm

Can you please highlight the pros n cons of both, including approximate the cost for the customised package, including, travel, food, stay, permits, etc.

Pros - Self planned: customized itinerary, choice of accommodation, sure of the quality.
Cons - need to invest some time.

Pros - Organized tour: peace of mind
Cons - expensive, restrictive, no idea of what's coming ahead.

approximate cost: depends on the number of days, places you would like to visit. At DoW, we don't promote organized tours as we believe that the monetary benefits should be passed on to the locals of the region and not corporate hounds. If you wish to compare costs, you will have to tell us the best deal you are getting.

I hope it helps.
Thank us by thanking yourself.
Participate with us on our ideas: Responsible Traveling | DoW Causes | Ladakh travel guide | DoW Calendar V2.0
aashish2137
Explorer

Postby rashmimv3 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:33 am

Thanks Dheeraj, thanks Aashish,
First of all I would say that the this forum is really helpful and v v informative, esp for travellers like us who have no idea how to go about and plan a tour to places like, ladakh. Wow. I happened to come across this site by chance yesterday and since then glued to it. It's amazing to know that you reply to each and every query and your suggestions are really genuine n valuable.
As suggested by you and going through some blogs, I will not be going for a customised package.

Please suggest, if we go by flight to leh from delhi, and return via leh-srinagar route, return flight to delhi from srinagar. Return flights from leh are working out to be more if we plan the jouney in august. Initially, we wanted to travel from srinagar to leh, by road and flight from leh to delhi.

Or, should we travel sringar -leh-sringar by road, will that be hectic. Please suggest, if shared cabs or bus will be a good option to travel to leh from srinagar, and we need to be booked in advance. One way, we plan to halt at kargil. Private cabs are too expensive for us.
Is september end, or october a good time to plan this, since being a peak season in august, we want to avoid rush.

Once, I book flights, I shall proceed to book a decent place to stay.

Thanks once again.
Rashmi
rashmimv3

Postby aashish2137 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:20 pm

Rashmi, I'm glad you notice the work. However the vision of this forum much larger than just devising itineraries. There's a change we are working towards. I'd recommend you take a moment and go through our vision :)

Back to the topic, its really hard to comment on your plan unless we know how many days do you have on hand.
Yes, August will definitely will the busiest this year, partly to the fact that there are multiple holidays. September is definitely better than October.

Generally, we suggest people to do Srinagar - Leh by road as it helps acclimatize better. From Leh, you can take a flight to Delhi, or drive to Srinagar or Manali. The costs I believe should be the same more or less, since Leh - Delhi would somewhere about 12,000 as much as the taxi costs broadly.

To minimize costs, you can find travel partners through the forum or in Leh itself for the entire or parts of journey to share costs. The major costs in Ladakh are taxi costs itself and 4 people splitting the same makes a lot of sense.
Participate with us on our ideas: Responsible Traveling | DoW Causes | Ladakh travel guide | DoW Calendar V2.0
aashish2137
Explorer

Postby rashmimv3 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:31 pm

Hi Dheeraj,
Thanks for a quick response.
We have ample time to visit and cover all major places in ladakh and srinagar. Time is not a constraint for us.
However, we do not want to exceed beyond 50k in total.

Thanks and regards,
Rashmi
rashmimv3

Postby dheerajsharma14 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:35 pm

Sorry Rashmi, but Aashish replied to your query, not me!! So, thanks to him for apt reply :)

Are you considering 25K per person? or 50K per person? This includes your expenses of return tickets?
dheerajsharma14
Site Administrator

Postby rashmimv3 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:43 pm

Oh apologies, I didn't realise Aashish, thanks Ashish.
25k person, offcourse with some flexibility. But, not exceeding 30k per person.
Is that possible to explore the place with this kind of budget.
rashmimv3

Postby aashish2137 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:53 pm

rashmimv3 wrote:Oh apologies, I didn't realise Aashish, thanks Ashish.
25k person, offcourse with some flexibility. But, not exceeding 30k per person.
Is that possible to explore the place with this kind of budget.

That is perfectly fine, you can thank DoW to avoid the confusion ;)

Since time is not a limitation, you can easily find like minded people and follow their itinerary. Since you are a couple, probably you can get in touch with another couple who is looking to share costs.

30k is a comfortable budget, more so if you drop out the flight and do Srinagar - Ladakh - Srinagar/ Manali and travel to and fro Delhi in buses. Trains don't reach either of Manali or Srinagar.
aashish2137
Explorer

Postby spider » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:27 pm

my reply might not get into the wave of above mentioned, but would like to share my experience till today. shall update post my visit incase of major difference.

we are a group of four corporate "workers" wants to visit leh within a short time span of 5 days. 3 of us directly flying to leh and one shall be joining us via Srinagar-kargil.

Own Arrangement
GoAir G8-193 @ 5573 / pax
Almost confirmed 4 days of GH/BB @ 1600x2 MAP = 3200 = 800/pax [this might get reduced as one of my friend looking after a HS @ 400/pax]
Leh - Nubra - Leh = 7200 = 1800/pax - car only [innova, safari/xylo will reduce 500]
GH in hunder MAP = 1400x2 = 2400 = 600/pax
Leh pangong Leh = 8100 = 2025/pax [innova, safari/xylo will reduce 500-700]
water camp MAP = 5700 = 1425/pax
local visit = 2000 = 500/pax
Leh manali = 17000 = 4250/pax
Total = 16973/pax

Itemized Itinerary
GoAir G8-193 @ 5573 / pax
Camps of Ladakh @ 21400 / pax [for group of four]
Leh manali 17000/4 = 4250/pax
Total = 31223 / pax

Clearly shows itemized arrangement is costing almost double.

but for that, we dedicated a lot of time to surfing and divided our responsibilities accordingly. pl note, above expense forecast exclusive of Leh Manali fooding/lodging and Manali Delhi cost.
think less .. feel more ...
spider
Rookie

Next

Return to Ladakh & Zanskar Valley