DoW - Maps of Ladakh including Alt v/s Distance Graphs

Read, learn and share more about Traveling to Leh - Ladakh & Zanskar Valley through these travel guides and articles, in this forum.

DoW - Maps of Ladakh including Alt v/s Distance Graphs

Postby dheerajsharma14 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:06 pm

Nubra Valley + Changthang | DoW - Maps of Ladakh

It is finally time to roll out our own community maps of Ladakh for Nubra Valley & Changthang. I had been working on it for last couple of weeks and finally was able to work out this "OK to Work" version of our Ladakh map :) ... I hope you guys will find it useful. It was back of the mind since the beginning of DoW, but it was only Aashish, our Chief Travel Mentor, who pushed hard & brought this idea a life again. Special thanks to him for his continuous follow up until this roll out and I am sure he will be adding more useful information in terms of tentative Travel Times on these routes ... Thanks to him again.

In order to get a detailed understanding of the conditions of these routes indicated by one of the Legend, I will strongly advice that you read through the Routes and Road Conditions In Leh – Ladakh. It will allow you to get a basic idea on the difficulty levels with respect to driving & vehicle comfort in these routes.

Apart from that there is another Legend that mentions the list of places for ATMs & availability of fuel (petrol/diesel) in Ladakh. Please keep in mind that Black Diesel/Petrol is compromised versions which local villagers stock and sometimes sell too, to the ones who are in need. But, do not expect much quality from the Black Diesel/Petrol.

Here is the first version of DoW Ladakh Maps for Changthang & Nubra Valley
You can download the full resolution file by right clicking & then select the option: “Save Image As…”

I am sure this will help each one of us tremendously in planning our trips to Ladakh & in many cases would be a savior many a times in our Itinerary Advice section. In time to come, we will roll out similar detailed maps for Srinagar - Leh Highway & Manali - Leh Highway too, in order to complete the entire journey over road to Ladakh :)

Please share your valuable feedback, queries & doubts in the thread below. If interested, you can read a detailed article on the DoW Blog at the link: DoW – Maps of Ladakh | Nubra Valley & Changthang
dheerajsharma14
Site Administrator

Re: Maps of Ladakh for Nubra Valley & Changthang

Postby aashish2137 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:34 pm

Superb effort Dheeraj, I must say, I haven't seen such detailed and yet consolidated map of the region before, kudos to you! :)

This map should go a long way in understanding the topography of the region. I recommend every DoW member to carry 2-3 copies of the map with them on their Ladakh trips.

Looking forward to more maps on other Himalayan regions.

Cheers..
Thank us by thanking yourself.
Participate with us on our ideas: Responsible Traveling | DoW Causes | Ladakh travel guide | DoW Calendar V2.0
aashish2137
Site Moderator

DoW – Maps of Ladakh | Srinagar – Kargil – Leh

Postby dheerajsharma14 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:15 am

Srinagar – Kargil – Leh | DoW – Maps of Ladakh

As promised in the first posts, we are rolling out the second map in the series on DoW - Maps of Ladakh. Here goes the first version of maps for Srinagar – Kargil – Leh Highway. You can download the full resolution file by right clicking & then select the option: “Save Image As…”

You can download the full resolution file by right clicking & then select the option: “Save Image As…”

If interested, you can read a detailed article on the DoW Blog at the link: DoW – Maps of Ladakh | Srinagar – Kargil – Leh

In order to read more information on planning the journey for Srinagar - Kargil - Leh Highway, you can read the detailed article on DoW Blog at the link: How to plan a journey on Srinagar – Leh Highway

Please share your valuable feedback, suggestions, improvements, queries & doubts etc. below in the thread.
dheerajsharma14
Site Administrator

Re: DoW - Maps of Ladakh

Postby aashish2137 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:14 am

As good as it can get! :)
Participate with us on our ideas: Responsible Traveling | DoW Causes | Ladakh travel guide | DoW Calendar V2.0
aashish2137
Site Moderator

Leh Town Local Sightseeing | DoW - Maps of Ladakh

Postby dheerajsharma14 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:03 pm

Leh Town Local Sightseeing | DoW - Maps of Ladakh

Leh is always the center for your Ladakh trip and knowing about Leh itself is always a good thing as there are so many tiny bit of reads here and there. With this high resolution map of Leh town, you can figure out your whereabouts in this lovely town.

Thanks to Vinyasa Ubaradka for contributing this map for DoW community.

In order to read more information on Leh Local sightseeing, you can read the detailed article on DoW Blog at the link: Travel Guide for Local Sightseeing of Leh Town in Ladakh
dheerajsharma14
Site Administrator

Postby KapoorG » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:32 pm

I have been through a lot of LADAKH maps over the time, but yours is the most comprevensive map I have come across. CHEERS!
BTW any idea whether civilians are allowed to go to KOYUL ?
KapoorG
Rookie

Postby dheerajsharma14 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:51 pm

KapoorG wrote:I have been through a lot of LADAKH maps over the time, but yours is the most comprevensive map I have come across. CHEERS!

One of the best compliments for DoW brother :mrgreen: :ugeek:

No civilians are not allowed but it is for a toss. Once there, make a dash at it, hoping you will be successful ;) ... I have read one account who was successful upto Demchok via Photi La
dheerajsharma14
Site Administrator

Postby aashish2137 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:12 pm

KapoorG wrote:I have been through a lot of LADAKH maps over the time, but yours is the most comprevensive map I have come across. CHEERS!

The Photi La road is being built very seriously by the BRO. Regzin even said once complete this could be one of the better roads in the entire Ladakh, which is quite a statement considering the altitude of Photi La. There is no checkpost on this road until the base of Photi La towards Demchok, so you can maybe make a day trip to the top.

The Fukche area is very critical to the army considering its an air base for most aerial operations on this side of the border. I don't think permits will be issued for a long time now. Don't be surprised if they even remove Hanle from the ILP list because this year multiple people have been stopped at Loma checkpost.

That being said, Regzin mistakenly took a family over to the other side in 2010 or 2011 and being the candid guy he is, somehow got them through the route without permits. However, extremely dangerous for a tourist to repeat the feat.
aashish2137
Site Moderator

Postby KapoorG » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:11 pm

Thanks Dheeraj and Aashish.
A bus goes upto Koyul actually. Lets see how it works out when I am there.
KapoorG
Rookie

Postby aashish2137 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:43 pm

Once in Hanle, you can also catch up with Sonam who has a Tata 207 which is the best vehicle to explore places around. For 2000 bucks, he can take you for a round trip of the twin lakes of Kyun Tso.
aashish2137
Site Moderator

Next

Return to Ladakh & Zanskar Valley