Padma (Sonam's) Guest House/Homestay, Hanle | Review

Share your reviews of Hotels, Guest Houses & Home Stays in Leh - Ladakh & Zanskar Valley with other like minded travelers, in this forum.

Padma (Sonam's) Guest House/Homestay, Hanle | Review

Postby aashish2137 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:11 pm

My review of Sonam's Guest House, Hanle
A lot has been talked about Sonam's GH already. The rooms are fantastic, the best we had in Ladakh. Nice colourful interiors, spacious, carpet floors and heavy quilts. An add-on was a Bhukari that Sonam put up in the room to keep it warm. The Bhukari used cow dungs to warm up which exhausts faster than you would think. But the bhukari did help in battling the cold. Sonam also arranged bhindi on our request to provide a welcome break from gobhi! Sonam is probably the best host we had in Ladakh.
Having said that, the toilets at Sonam's GH are a pain. The GH has an under construction, common (for 4 rooms) toilet. Well, its been underconstruction for over an year now, and though Sonam says it will be ready in a couple of months now, its hard to believe.
The only alternative is a primitive. A hole in the ground type loo which frankly is quite disgusting to use. No offense.
We paid rs. 1200 for the room and dinner and breakfast for 3 people. Totally worth every penny, only if the loo was ready ...

Last edited by dheerajsharma14 on Mon May 23, 2016 1:30 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Changed the name of the homestay
Thank us by thanking yourself.
Participate with us on our ideas: Responsible Traveling | DoW Causes | Ladakh travel guide | DoW Calendar V2.0
aashish2137
Site Moderator

Re: Sonam's Guest House, Hanle | Review

Postby dheerajsharma14 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:55 pm

He He He, yes even when we stayed at Padmadeskit Home stay in village Khlado, near Hanle, we had to use the similar toilet. But, the beauty around is worth the pain.... :D
dheerajsharma14
Site Administrator

Padma Home Stay or Padma Guest House in Hanle | Review

Postby dheerajsharma14 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:54 pm

Well, we also stayed at Padma Home Stay again on DoW Mega Meet in Ladakh. Well, last time I stayed in this same home but the guest house or homestay complex was under construction so we actually stayed in one of the rooms at Sonam's/Padma's home only. Now, they have the rooms operation as Aashish said and this time I stayed in this newly built complex. Well, it was lovely to see such a facility and I am really glad that Sonam who is such a great, helping and smiling soul developed it. It is no less than a luxury there !!

The business card which Sonam shared with me reads "Padma Home Stay", I guess he earlier printed as guest house but then shifted to home stay only, may be because of some registration issue as both homestay and guest houses have different norms.

Contact Person: Mr. Sonam Dorjay
Attributes: Very good friend of mine, knows DoW and its vision very well, very down to earth local ready to support & help other locals of the village
Contact Number: 09469224302, 09419834944, 08991922029,
Email: sonamdorjay19@gmail.com, sonamdorjay15@gmail.com

Update 18-07-2014: Now BSNL Phone Connection including Whatsapp works in Hanle and you can get connected with Sonam ji on it for bookings. You can refer my name or DoW, also try and see if you can execute DoW Causes in Khaldo Village Middle School in Hanle. Sonam ji should be able to help in this regard too.

The Good News: The Common toilet is ready and operational now :D ... Three Cheers to Sonam for this effort and providing such a facility in such a remote place of Ladakh :mrgreen: ... But, keep that in mind that it is still common toilet for 4 rooms he has built in the guest house. But, believe me it is a savior of a thing if you are not used to such dry pits toilets. Since, we were plenty in number so Padma ji (Sonam's wife) arranged bucket as well to be used in dry pit to was hands. Many of us used it too. One room does have an attached bathroom but that is under construction and will soon be functional may be next year or so.

There are 4 rooms, one big dinning room (can be used with mattresses to sleep) and one room denominated as kitchen but used as bed as of now. These rooms can house as many as 12-15 people with proper beds over there. Decent mattresses and like Aashish said heavy quilts. We were 15 and there were 4 other people staying in one room. So, in worst case if you are OK to sleep without beds but proper mattresses on floor then it can house about 18-20 people as well.

The prices are per bed Rs 350 and meals are chargeable extra. You can have a meal of about Rs 150 including Dinner & Breakfast. Hence, we paid Rs 500 per person for Bed + Breakfast + Dinner + 1 Tea. Rest you pay extra and I feel considering the overall comfort of the warm rooms and that toilet at such a remote place in Ladakh is an awesome deal to get...

Plus you get the warm hospitality of Sonam and his team !! :) :)

Sonam has also opted for helping anyone up there who is ready to support DoW Causes and provide necessary guidance or any support to them. So, in case you are interested to contribute in DoW Causes in Hanle Village, get in touch with Sonam and he will be able to get you connected with dispensary OR school administration.

From DoW Team: Highly Recommended !!

Here are the pictures from this lovely guest house in Hanle Village ...

Interiors of Rooms at Padma Home Stay / Padma Guest House at Hanle

Padma Home Stay at Hanle / Padma Guest House at Hanle

dheerajsharma14
Site Administrator

Re: Padma (Sonam's) Guest House/Homestay, Hanle | Review

Postby aashish2137 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:02 am

Superb pictures and glad to know the toilet is ready.

Sonam's place was probably the cleanest and loveliest we stayed at across Ladakh, more so due to this warm hospitality. There were rumours that he has left his job and moved to Leh but I'm glad to know he's back in business :mrgreen:

Hanle as it is a terrific place to explore. Hope members make the full use of Causes in Hanle through Sonam :)
Thank us by thanking yourself.
Participate with us on our ideas: Responsible Traveling | DoW Causes | Ladakh travel guide | DoW Calendar V2.0
aashish2137
Site Moderator

Postby subhankarpaul » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:40 pm

aashish2137 wrote:Superb pictures and glad to know the toilet is ready.

Sonam's place was probably the cleanest and loveliest we stayed at across Ladakh, more so due to this warm hospitality. There were rumours that he has left his job and moved to Leh but I'm glad to know he's back in business :mrgreen:

Hanle as it is a terrific place to explore. Hope members make the full use of Causes in Hanle through Sonam :)

Hi ashish
I need to contact Sonam for Gyan500 cause during my Hanle visit on 19th July - but don't have any contact detail.
May you help me in getting Sonam's mobile no ?
and miles to go before i sleep ..........
subhankarpaul
Rookie

Postby dheerajsharma14 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:06 pm

@subhankarpaul
Mobile will only work in Leh and there is no signal in Hanle. So, if he is in Leh he will be able to help you out getting connected. Otherwise, go over and talk to Sonam and he will help you with all possible way. Do read out story of causes too: DoW Cause | GYAAN 500 in action at Hanle, Ladakh

Contact Person: Mr. Sonam Dorjay
Attributes: Down to earth local ready to support & help other locals of the village
Contact Number: 08991922029, 09469224392
dheerajsharma14
Site Administrator

Postby dheerajsharma14 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:36 am

Now BSNL Phone Connection including Whatsapp works in Hanle and you can get connected with Sonam ji on it for bookings. You can refer my name or DoW, also try and see if you can execute DoW Causes in Khaldo Village Middle School in Hanle. Sonam ji should be able to help in this regard too.

I had a word with @subhankarpaul ji yesterday, who executed DoW Causes in Hanle
dheerajsharma14
Site Administrator

Postby subhankarpaul » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:35 pm

Hello friends
I reached Hanle on 17/7, courtesy Rigzin Wangchuk & his famous Scorpio from Pangong Tso via Chusul with no adverse interference from army. I got BSNL mobile service there with no difficulty. On 17th we stayed at Sonam Guest house, superb arrangement ! We also visited IAO in the evening at 6pm.
Next day, we executed GYAN 500 at Hanle Khaldo Middle School with support from Sonam Dorjay, in presence of teacher Mr. Dorjee & 30 students.
and miles to go before i sleep ..........
subhankarpaul
Rookie

Postby dheerajsharma14 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:39 pm

Awesome update sir, we will wait for the pictures and trip log now :)
dheerajsharma14
Site Administrator

Postby sohamkundu1992 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:23 pm

Recently we visited Hanle and there was another Guest House near to the Hanle monastery. The guest house is under construction and only the ground floor is ready for tourist. It is run by the Lama committee of the monastery. The rooms are awesome and spacious with attached toilets. 12 hrs electricity is available. The hospitality is just out of the world :) . The foods are delicious and tasty. We don't expect such a wonderful accommodation in a remote area like Hanle.
Tariff: For lodging Rs 500 per head
For fooding Rs 180 per head (including evening Tea, dinner, breakfast with tea)

Overall 10 out of 10. Very much recommended.
DSC03664.JPG
Rooms of the Guest house
DSC03664.JPG (85.39 KiB) Viewed 2480 times

DSC03669.JPG
DSC03669.JPG (105.8 KiB) Viewed 2479 times

DSC03667.JPG
Beautiful Hanle village from the Guest House
DSC03667.JPG (74.63 KiB) Viewed 2475 times
Miles to go before I sleep...... And miles to go before I sleep.
sohamkundu1992

Next

Return to Ladakh & Zanskar Valley