Goose Homestay Tso Moriri Lake

Share your reviews of Hotels, Guest Houses & Home Stays in Leh - Ladakh & Zanskar Valley with other like minded travelers, in this forum.

Goose Homestay Tso Moriri Lake

Postby dheerajsharma14 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:04 pm

Sharing feedback of Goose Homestay Tso Moriri Lake where a reader "Arti" of DoW Blog stayed recently and shared her feedback at the link here

Arti Wrote:
Recently visited Tso Moriri and stayed at Goose Homestay right opposite the monastery/ supermarket there. Extremely homely and clean place with a view of the lake from all 3 rooms. Cost: Rs. 300 per person per day including food. Found it better than Mentok and Crane located right next to it. Wish could have spent a few more days there.

Don’t have any contact number…we looked for it on arrival. Its a small 3 bedroom accommodation (4 beds laid on floor in each room)run by a lady with her family members. The washroom is tiled and clean. However, there was no running water in taps and the same is provided in buckets. Hot water was also provided on request. Washroom was way better than that of Mentok but was smaller than that of crane. The kitchen, dining room and the bedrooms are carpeted. We liked it the first instance we saw it. I can share the pictures..but don’t know how/where.
dheerajsharma14
Site Administrator

Re: Goose Homestay Tso Moriri Lake

Postby ravidr » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:17 pm

Hi all,

I wish to share our experience of staying at this cosy little place in Korzok village, at Tso Moriri. We reached Korzok late one evening (May 26), and it was very cold and windy, getting dark. The other guest houses were either closed (Crane) or full (Mentok: there was tour group staying there). We parked our vehicle in front of the monastery, and a kindly old man passing by inquired if we were looking for a place to stay. He mentioned Goose Homestay, and I remembered reading this earlier review here. We gladly agreed, and didn't regret it one bit.
It is located down a narrow path strewn with donkeys and chickens, so leave your heavy luggage in the vehicle. The family which owns the place lives on the ground floor, and they have 4 rooms on the first floor for guests, with a shared tiled bathroom at the end of the corridor. There's no running water, only in buckets, but with subzero temperatures when we stayed there we didn't mind at all! They can provide hot water in buckets in the morning for washing up. Two of the rooms had cots with beds, and the other two have floor mattresses. One room has the chimney from the kitchen stove running up through the floor to the roof so it keeps the room warm in the nght. We stayed in a room with double beds (2 sets for 4 people) at Rs. 200 per head with extra for food. Dinner is served in the family kitchen around a hot stove in typical Ladakhi style. The food was simple, basic, a bit bland perhaps, but we can't expect luxuries in this remote village! There was hot tea, and toast and jam for breakfast.
The room was surprisingly warm at night as we snuggled under double quilts and blankets. The wind was howling outside while the temperatures were well below freezing, I'm sure, with the Tso Moriri partially frozen.
We would recommend this place if you are not too fussy with food and amenities. We had two small children with us, so it's good for families too. I think it also helps the local hardy people if more tourists choose such homestays rather than exotic tent camps & hotels which are sadly mushrooming everywhere!
ravidr

Postby dheerajsharma14 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:29 pm

Very very true Ravi !! :) :)

Thank you for sharing this information of Goose Homestay with all of us. Such reviews does really help a lot many of us on making a decision to go with home stay or not and especially the reluctance of staying with family at home stays. Your review will certainly help the others with family as well to make a choice. Rs 200 per person is quite a good deal.

This really helps the local community and we believe more in staying up with these locals so that it benefits with them.
dheerajsharma14
Site Administrator

Postby getpackingvinod » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:36 pm

Guys any phone number ? In peak tourist season July end / Aug, I guess making a call and informing them will help

Vinod
getpackingvinod
Site Moderator

Postby ravidr » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:54 pm

Sorry guys, I don't have a contact number. Looks like they didn't have any phone on the premises. May be a mobile phone, but I think we forgot to ask. Foolish of us, I know :oops:
ravidr

Postby dheerajsharma14 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:15 pm

No mobile phone work in Tso Moriri.
dheerajsharma14
Site Administrator

Postby mosederbaer » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:34 pm

Bhai log adding my experience about korzok. As you near tso moriri, korzok village is not visible. We reached there in the evening and Streams which we saw flowing on the way, were frozen next morning due to cold. As we reached ITBP post, we got our permits checked. Further that there was tented accommodation which was very expensive. We skipped that and drove up to the village. We found number of home stays there. The one in which we took room, was 500 for 5 persons. It was after mid June and at 5 pm winds were so strong that we were forced to get back to our room.

Another point is that the monastery which is at the uphill of the korzok village, had a public phone and I used that too to call my home.
Travel is never a matter of money, only spirit
mosederbaer
DoW Core Team

Postby shwetachheda » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:23 pm

wow...so useful information... now i need to truly thank Dheeraj for this site n his forums....
remember i was asking for homestays in my earlier forum fortnight back...got answered now..
i think this is rt place for homestay i feel...

ravidr ....did u clicked any pics of goose?
if yes,, pls post it...
any idea, do they allow to cook our food.as we are also travelling with kids,,, in case kids refuse to eat their food.
shwetachheda

Postby dheerajsharma14 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:15 pm

shwetachheda wrote:now i need to truly thank Dheeraj for this site n his forums.....

Shweta, this is not mine but OURS and whole set of devils here here are responsible for making it such an awesome place.... So, just thank the whole community and the members of it...
dheerajsharma14
Site Administrator

Postby aashish2137 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:16 pm

@shwetachheda, most home stays in Ladakh will customize the food as per your requests or assist you in the kitchen if you want to cook it yourself. They really want you to feel at home but at times we might not end up following their customs and traditions in the kitchen and that might come as a hindrance in letting you in the kitchen. However if you instruct them your requirements, they will be happy to make it for you.
Thank us by thanking yourself.
Participate with us on our ideas: Responsible Traveling | DoW Causes | Ladakh travel guide | DoW Calendar V2.0
aashish2137
Explorer

Next

Return to Ladakh & Zanskar Valley