Spiti Valley DoW Mega Meet 2014

Share your Lahaul, Spiti & Kinnaur Valley traveling experiences or stories with other like minded travelers, in this forum.

Spiti Valley DoW Mega Meet 2014

Postby dheerajsharma14 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:08 am

I will be skipping most of the things on my agenda and will start writing a brief Travel Tale of the much awaited and ever epic annual tale of the year, our DoW Mega Meet 2014 which was held in Spiti Valley from 12th to 21st September 2014 ... I am sure many of you will be waiting for it and many of you will be surprised to see me starting the log so soon :lol: :lol:

However, I will keep it brief and simple, so that I share whatever I have with me and I hope other members who participated in the Mega Meet from our community will keep contributing to it with their experiences. This will run for long I believe.

I will keep this main post as an index of all the articles and posts related to DoW Mega Meet 2014 including the posts on DoW Causes that were executed on this epic meet.

List of DoW Causes executed on DoW Mega Meet 2014

DoW Mega Meet Travel Tale Threads
Last edited by dheerajsharma14 on Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:42 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: added last cause update
dheerajsharma14
Site Administrator

Re: Spiti Valley DoW Mega Meet 2014

Postby dheerajsharma14 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:10 am

First and foremost let me share the Current road conditions of Delhi to Kinnaur Valley to Spiti Valley to Manali to Delhi route as I did that on DoW Mega Meet 12-21 September 2014

• Delhi – Kalka By Pass – Shimla = Very Good + Excellent
  • Shimla – Theog – Narkanda = Good
  • Narkanda – Rampur – Jeori = Very Good
  • Jeori – Bhawanagar = Good + Average
  • Bhawanagar – Tapri – Powari = Poor + Very Poor
  • Tapri - Urni Diversion = Narrow roads, prone to big jams at times, a constable posted there is an big as**** as he abuse everyone, seems frustrated with his job, mix of average + poor roads.
  • Powari – Jangi = Very Poor + Poor
  • Jangi – Spillow = Good
  • Spillow – Dubling = Poor
  • Dubling – Khab diversion = Good + Poor
  • Khab diversion – Nako – Geyu diversion = Good + Excellent
  • Geyu Diversion – Tabo = Poor + Average
  • Geyu Village Road = Good + Average, last one KM to Geyu Monastery was horrible due to stones being laid
  • Tabo – Attargoo = Poor + Average
  • Lingti - Rama - Lhalung = Average
  • Mane Village Road = Average
  • Attargoo – Kaza = Average
  • Kaza = Average
  • Ki - Kibber = Good + Average
  • Hikkim – Komik – Langza = Average and few sections of poor
  • Kaza – Losar = Poor + Average + Good
  • Losar – Takcha Ground – Kunzum Pass = Poor + Average
  • Kunzum Pass - Batal = Poor
  • Batal - Chandratal = Poor + Very Poor (for Sedans)
  • Batal - Chota Dhara - Chatru - Gramphu = There are water crossings and BRO has just taken care of one major one that is Dorni Nalla. There are 2 major ones just after Grapmhu has come up this season which last season was not there, they are tricky. Couple of water crossings have stones/big ones, placed in a way you need to be very careful in moving the vehicle. Hence, you ought to have patience for hatch/sedan to clear it. I drove my dZire over this section on DoW Mega Meet with about 6-7 underbelly hits in all though I mostly took them on left rail and we had Alto too in the convoy which also managed through the route.

You need to understand and know which part to sacrifice for under belly hit. The innova we had, gave out its bumpers and had terrible time in couple of crossings especially near Gramphu. The struggle will continue till almost Takcha grazing ground ahead of Kunzum Pass towards Kaza not about water crossings but dodging big stones and bad roads which makes the progress little slow and some of them are carefully placed on the Hair Pin bends.

For High Ground Clearance, I will say Average roads at this time of the year.
  • Gramphu - Rohtang Pass = Mostly Good with few poor patches
  • Rohtang Pass - Manali = Good + Very Good with couple of poor patches
  • Manali - Mandi - Sundernagar = Very Good + Good
  • Sundernagar - Bilaspur - Swarghat - Kiratpur = Average + Bad with some big potholes and ever frustrating truck traffic. Drive with caution and care here, DO NOT Overtake trucks when you do not have clear line of sight for overtaking. Many a times trucks are overtaking each other on the bends or turns which can lead an accident.
  • Kiratpur - Ropar - Ambala - Delhi = Quite a breeze with mostly excellent roads except few diversions on NH1 after Ambala.
dheerajsharma14
Site Administrator

Postby dheerajsharma14 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:22 am

Here are some of the eye tonics for Road Conditions in Kinnaur and Spiti... Though mostly they have been captured in good sections due to less tension :lol: :lol:

Kaza - Langza Road

Kaza - Hikkim - Komic Road

Kaza - Kunzum Pass Road

Kaza - Kunzum Pass Road

Kaza - Kunzum Pass Road

Kunzum Pass

Batal - Chandratal Road

Batal - Chandratal Road

Batal - Chota Dhara - Gramphu Road

Road to Komic

That lovely stretch nearing Rampur

Approaching Khab Bridge

Ka Zigs

Malling Nalla

Tapri - Urni Diversions

Shooting Stones
dheerajsharma14
Site Administrator

Postby MonojitChakraverty » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:48 am

Dear Dheeraj,
Congratulations on DoW Mega Meet 2014 success.
The pics you posted are not only fabulous, but they have satiated the inner crave for the beauty that I always hunger for- that is the Himalayas!
Thank you so much
Monojit :)
MonojitChakraverty

Postby MetalHead » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:27 pm

Gajab photos Dheeraj bro!
MetalHead
Tripper

Postby madhu » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:46 am

There it begins! :D and can't stop appreciating you for taking it to this scale.
Now that you've started, we're gonna keep pestering you until you complete. :twisted:
"I did not tell half of what I saw, for I knew I would not be believed."
— Marco Polo, on his deathbed in 1324
madhu
Tripper

Postby dheerajsharma14 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:51 pm

MetalHead wrote:Gajab photos Dheeraj bro!

Thank you Vibhu bhai, even bad roads are that beautiful in heaven called Spiti Valley :D

madhu wrote:There it begins! :D and can't stop appreciating you for taking it to this scale.
Now that you've started, we're gonna keep pestering you until you complete. :twisted:

ha ha, yeah sure Madhu !! I will try my best to keep it rolling despite all odds... And thanks for the appreciation, it is not possible without the efforts of each one of us.

MonojitChakraverty wrote:Dear Dheeraj,
Congratulations on DoW Mega Meet 2014 success.
The pics you posted are not only fabulous, but they have satiated the inner crave for the beauty that I always hunger for- that is the Himalayas!
Thank you so much
Monojit :)

Thank you Monojit, it is just the start. Stay tuned :)
dheerajsharma14
Site Administrator

Postby dheerajsharma14 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:27 pm

Since, it was DoW Mega Meet, a lot of planning had gone under to device the success of this annual event we as a community has to offer to all our members and those associated with DoW... Right from floating the plan to registration of participants to thousands of messages over whatsapp to finalizing the stay options in entire Spiti Valley with the help of Tsering bhai of Sakya Abode from Kaza to having meetings in Delhi / NCR as doubt clearance sessions to planning the execution of DoW Causes, buying all required items for it, organizing its transit and what not.... Months of effort had been put into this meet when finally the day arrived on 12th September... It was more or like a dream day coming to reality and I was too anxious to step over it but "Darr k aagey hi jeet hai..."

About 150 odd people registered for this years Mega Meet and 93 confirmed in the final list with multiple confirmations. Finally, 70 people booked and hit the roads from different parts of India of this year's Mega Adventure with DoW into Spiti Valley on 12th September 2014 ...

I did not have any plans for day off on 12th September but then I saw the need of better co-ordination and some rest before with hit the high altitude region of Kinnaur, so took an off on 12th too to spend sometime with family as well. However, I had to meet 6 AM with Amit who handed over to me DoW T Shirts new lot and I handed over to him the package of DoW Causes Stationary which had to be delivered to Vipin bhai in Rewari so that he can carry it with him in his Pajero since my car was running out of space. Then I had to meet Chris (@1234) at 9 AM for the morning breakfast as he came from Austria and then was about to visit Ladakh... I got late as you know a busy Friday morning in peak office hours and all traffic to Gurgaon from Dwarka can see you in pain and same happened. What usually is a 25-30 minute run from my home too more than 90 minutes to reach Chris hotel :( :(

After the breakfast I went back home, spent time with my family but never got time to see to whatsapp messages in the group or take any calls in between the hectic morning. And then Prem who was in XUV, supposed to leave with us together called me that he might get late as he had to go back to pick up the nebuliser which he forgot to put in the car. It was part of our causes. We three cars, mine, Pawan ji with Samar, Vinay, Aneez and his cousin and Prem car were supposed to leave together at 2 PM from Alipur Bypass for Fagu. ahead of Shimla. Fagu was the gathering point of all Devils participating in this mega meet and 13th morning 8.30 AM was supposed to be the kick off from Fagu to Kalpa ...

I had my cousin Dhruv and Shakti bhai in the car who was with me in the last year's Mega Meet as well. Even Aneez bhai who was in Pawanji's car also came from Dubai again from this Mega Meet... Samar had also traveled with me on DoW's 1st Anniversary drive to Chansal Pass and we had such a blast/fun on that trip... So, I was pretty much comfortable.

With all the wishes of the family, the wifey and the little kid, it was a bit emotional moment to leave home for next 10 days on this epic journey of adevnture alone... But, family helped give me strength to overcome it and focus on my trip to Spiti Valley and help my bit to spread some big smiles this time in Himalayas.. It was 1.30 PM types and since I did not read the whatsapp messages in between, even Pawanji's plan got changed and he was about to reach there at bypass with Aneez and Souban :o :o :shock: :shock: .... Samar & Shakti had reached :shock: :o I called up Prem again and got to know it will further take him about 20-25 minutes to reach the place near my house, so I started ahead slowly. My car was neck deep full of various stuff of causes that had to be shared in different cars as we reach Fagu. Shakti reached there and so did Pawanji, so now they were 6 and some how adjusted themselves and asked me to come over to Murthal directly and they will wait for us at Sukhdev, meanwhile as they will have lunch there...

So, a tense start to a Mega Meet for me :D :D
Spiti-Valley-Meet-2014-716.jpg
Thanks to The Browser - Chandigarh for donating books for DoW Cause for schools in Spiti Valley
Spiti-Valley-Meet-2014-716.jpg (41.58 KiB) Viewed 3920 times
Spiti-Valley-Meet-2014-718.jpg
Thanks to The Browser - Chandigarh for donating books for DoW Cause for schools in Spiti Valley
Spiti-Valley-Meet-2014-718.jpg (53.17 KiB) Viewed 3920 times
Spiti-Valley-Meet-2014-720.jpg
The packing for Mega Meet
Spiti-Valley-Meet-2014-720.jpg (56.72 KiB) Viewed 3920 times
Spiti-Valley-Meet-2014-711.jpg
My Luggage for DoW Mega Meet
Spiti-Valley-Meet-2014-711.jpg (71.52 KiB) Viewed 3920 times
Spiti-Valley-Meet-2014-707.jpg
DoW Causes Material
Spiti-Valley-Meet-2014-707.jpg (30.45 KiB) Viewed 3920 times
Spiti-Valley-Meet-2014-706.jpg
Envirofit Stoves for DoW Causes
Spiti-Valley-Meet-2014-706.jpg (34.66 KiB) Viewed 3920 times
Spiti-Valley-Meet-2014-712.jpg
Stationary for DoW Causes
Spiti-Valley-Meet-2014-712.jpg (47.41 KiB) Viewed 3920 times
dheerajsharma14
Site Administrator

Postby 1234 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:41 pm

Dear Dheeraj,
the start was perfect.... :D Cannot await to see more of your impressions... :D
I am working hard on my video too.... ;)
Cheers Chris

Postby dheerajsharma14 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:51 pm

Thanks a lot Chris, we will be waiting for it, eagerly :)
dheerajsharma14
Site Administrator

Next

Return to Lahaul, Spiti & Kinnaur Valley