Weekend Trips from Delhi

Read, learn and share more about Traveling to various parts of the Himalayas through these travel guides and articles, in this forum.

Weekend Trips from Delhi

Postby aashish2137 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:54 pm

More often than I've shared my own travel tales with people around me, I've been besieged with one pertinent question: Where can we go for 2 days? This question is often followed by more baffling queries like, is Ladakh possible? Where is that place you went to August 2010.. Mcleodganj? Can we go there? We want snow and mountains but traveling time should be less than 3 hours, is that possible? .. and so on.. But lets not digress. I'm sure all of us have either heard that question, or have asked it, or atleast thought of knowing the places that can be explored on a weekend without sacrificing that hard earned leave.

But I'm not going to discuss my thoughts here and restrict the scope of this thread. This thread is not a travel guide, its a compilation of destinations that we have explored in the past and wish to share with the community at large. So I expect all of us to contribute a para or two here, with photographs and contact numbers, and build a directory which will made by us, for us! :D

My only request here is,
please don't ask queries in this thread, we have an entire itinerary section to do that
and
please restrict your travel reports to Himalayas, we have an entire miscellaneous section to discuss other destinations! We will obviously make sub-forums in the misc section if this concept grows.

Lets use this thread only to share our experiences and recommendations for people who want to take up a short trip (driving or otherwise) to Himalayan places accessible to Delhi over a weekend. So here I go, with my first contribution to this thread!

Admin Note: Lets collate up to 3 days destinations from Delhi under this thread. May be with long weekend here and there or affordability of one leave, it will be more beneficial and increase the scope of short trips from Delhi/NCR to Himalayas
Last edited by aashish2137 on Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thank us by thanking yourself.
Participate with us on our ideas: Responsible Traveling | DoW Causes | Ladakh travel guide | DoW Calendar V2.0
aashish2137
Explorer

Renuka Ji Lake

Postby aashish2137 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:56 pm

Renuka Ji Lake
Renuka lake is in Sirmaur district of Himachal Pradesh and is approximately 300 kms from Delhi. The travel time is close to 7 hours, including break for a meal and photography. The route one can follow is Delhi - Karnal - Shahabad - (right turn) - Saha - Naraingarh - Kala Amb - Nahan - Renuka.

The roads are more or less good with hilly terrain starting a little after Naraingarh I believe. The last stretch from Nahan to Renuka is a single lane road with occassional potholes, but manageable for any car.

Apart from the Renuka Lake, which is covered on all sides by dense green forests, the place has a temple, a zoo and a 3.5 kms track along the lake where on could walk and experience complete desolute.

When we visited Renuka Lake in early 2011, we made it a day trip, but if one intends to stay overnight, there is a wonderful HPTDC property right at the shores of the lake.
The contact numbers are: ADDRESS : Hotel Yamuna, Paonta Sahib (HP) 173025. Tel: 0170-2267339

Esepcialy during the monsoon, Renuka Lake can be a wonderful destination for people who love to travel with families and spend a relaxing weekend away from the mad city rush.

Attaching some pictures (excuse me for the quality, I was a novice back then, much as I'm today! :D)

The views, impeccable as ever!

Even February saw some dramatic clouds

Ever smiling and green Renuka lake

The lake has a lot of fishes and turtle which are quite friendly. Feeding them is promoted.

Participate with us on our ideas: Responsible Traveling | DoW Causes | Ladakh travel guide | DoW Calendar V2.0
aashish2137
Explorer

Re: Weekend Trips from Delhi

Postby dheerajsharma14 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:52 pm

Fantastic initiative Aashish!! This will go a long way, I am sure.... Thread has been made sticky and we can compile the list under this thread as I indicated upto 3 days. People can choose among them which one to target in the availability of days.

We will add the comprehensive Travel Guides as and when we develop for them. I am writing one for one of the location I love most, will publish by next week :) ... This will be really helpful in the time to come for various Himalayan Travelers :) :)

Thanks again for kick starting it !!

And I see, you are a novice photographer BUT honestly, I know you are now being modest :lol:
dheerajsharma14
Site Administrator

Timber Trail Resorts, Parwanoo

Postby aashish2137 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:44 pm

Timber Trail Resorts, Parwanoo

Timber trail resorts is a luxury resort, situated a few kms outside Chandigarh on the Himalayan Expressway. Situated both on the highway and on the top of an overlooking hill, both the resorts are connected by a mechanical ropeway. Both the parts of the resorts are equipped with a restaurant-cum-bar, luxury rooms for overnight stay and common lawns for strolls and kids to play around.

The route to be followed is Delhi - Karnal - Ambala - Chandigarh by-pass - Himalayan Expressway. You will notice the resort on your right at the end of the expressway.
The travel time from Delhi would approximately be 6 hours.
Regarding the pricing, the resort is a little on the higher side when it comes to accommodation and food. The tariff varies from 3000 - 7000 for a night's stay.
You can refer the website for more details http://www.timbertrail.in/

The resort on the top

The porch, offering vast views

Towards Chandigarh and beyond

A pano of views that the top offers

For the less adventurous kinds, you can either stop at the Timber trail resorts for a meal and continue your journey onwards. Alternatively, you can take the ropeway and stay on the resort on the hill. The ropeway charges are somewhere between 600-900 per person both ways.

The ropeway and the town of Parwanoo in the back ground

Ropeway from the road

On the other hand, if you want to experience some adventure and save a couple of bucks, you can always reach there by road. Although the road is tarred, its a primary road not frequented by anyone but the villagers on that route.
We did the route in my i10 in summer and reached the top quietly easily. In monsoons, things might be different. However, there's only one part of the road that's tricky, and someone with an experience of driving on rough roads can negotiate it I believe. Its a 50-80 mts stretch of untarred steep ascent.

That being said, here are the details:
To reach here by road, you need to avoid taking the himalayan expressway and rather take the old Parwanoo road. After crossing the Parwanoo petrol pump on your left, about half a km ahead, you will see a board on your right which Eicher School. Take that downhill road and keep driving on it.

The first 2-3 kms are frustrating because the road is deteriorated by the truck movement but once you cross the bridge on the road, things will get better.
The only place you will hit a diversion is near the top. See the pic below.

Once you cross the temple on the left, a little ahead of that, a road will lead steeply on your right. Take that road and barely 2-3 kms later, voila you are at the top.

PS: Moksha Spa & Resorts also seem to be situated there, however we haven't had a chance to explore it yet.
aashish2137
Explorer

Matiana, near Narkanda

Postby dheerajsharma14 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:50 pm

Matiana, near Narkanda

On my recent trip to Spiti Valley in May 2013, I stayed at Matiana both ways while going to Spiti as well as while coming back from Spiti. About 40 odd KMs ahead of Shimla and about 15 odd KMs before Narkanda, in total about 400 KMs of easy drive from Delhi and completely away from all the hustle bustle of tourists, Matiana is an ideal for people who want to stay away from the crowd and love to enjoy the some great moments with the family and friends. It is about 8000 feet in altitude so it remains pleasant all round the year.

There aren't any properties up there in Matiana hence, it is a better place to go with if you can find a place to stay. I stayed at Krish Rauni resort run by Mr. Kishore who stays with his family there. Well, the personal touch and great hospitality by Mr. Kishore just makes that pleasant environment great enough to spend a lovely weekend at that place. The rural touch of the village Rauni just provides that extra gesture to the quality of atmosphere around. With Narkanda, close by, you can visit Hatu Peak around or a small pond by the name Tannijubbar Lake as a day trip. However, if you want to spend a lovely soothing weekend with a view of the valley, the place is just apt :)

In all a nice weekend getaway from Delhi/NCR !!

You can get in touch with Mr. Kishore at 01783225225, 09316115261, 09569115261 OR Email: krishrauni@gmail.com. You can refer either my name (Dheeraj) OR DoW as since they live with a family they are selective in the clientele as well and generally prefer families.

If you wish to stay at some economic place then there is a guest house too near Krish Rauni and there is a PWD rest house at Matiana as well. You can get the complete details on how to book the HP PWD Rest house at the link: How to Book HP PWD Rest Houses or FRHs
dheerajsharma14
Site Administrator

Postby aashish2137 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:36 pm

Tirthan Valley

Tirthan Valley lies towards east of the town of Kullu, nestled on the borders of the Great Himlayan National Park and is the perfect place if you want to be in the hills and beat the tourist rush.

Although 3 days ex Delhi isn't enough to explore this marvel of nature, but its a good weekend getaway if you don't mind driving 10-12 hours one way to reach there. The best itinerary you can follow is reach Chandigarh by Thursday night, stay over, start from Chandigarh on Friday morning and start back on Sunday morning.

On the Chandigarh - Manali highway, there lies a famous tunnel called the 'Aut Tunnel'. While coming from Chandigarh, right before the tunnel begins, you leave the National Highway and take the road going towards your right. This point onwards, you are a part of a lush green valley that lies precisely between Kullu on the west and Narkanda on the east.

Nothing beats a stay at the Raju Bharti Guest House (Phone Number: 09418149808, 01903-225008) which is extremely famous with tempting food as per majority of people who stay there. It is surely the best place of stay in Tirthan Valley. Raju is a pioneer in hospitality and once you live there, you cannot live else where :D ...

However, since being so good and popular the availability at Raju Bharti is an issue and you must book well in advance to live this experience, so better to know another nice property to experience the Tirthan Valley.

About 40 kms on this road and an hour's drive later, you hit the town of Banjar. Now Banjar is not where you are supposed to be. So right before the town begins, look out for a sharp u-turn for a road that goes uphill. Take that u-turn and another 20mins of drive between dense forests later, you are greeted with the Tirthan valley resorts ("TVR"). (pics below)

From the road, TVR lies on the left, across the river, the beautiful and ferocious Tirthan River. The easier way to cross the river is through a manual pulley system that is put in place by the TVR people itself. Its a simple scheme where you sit in a wooden box and a person on the other side pulls the box on the pulleys. Scary but fun.
An alternate way is to backtrack about 500 mts and cross a man-bridge to walk a km to reach the resort.

The resort property is an absolute treat. Simple, clean rooms. Good, home cooked food. And a land locked resort with well maintained gardens. Plus you have the entire river to yourself. Simply fantastic.

I can write good things about the resort endlessly. So I'll rather refrain. In short, you won't have any complaints. We paid a 1000 bucks per person for a day's stay including meals. Genuine. Worth every penny.

You can find more details on the property, route and phone numbers in the detailed review at our DoW Blog here: River Side Resort, Tirthan Valley | Hotel Review

Incase you are getting in touch on their Himachal number, you can always give my reference. I cannot assure you a discount on prices, but you will certainly be recognized! :)

EDIT: You can also provide reference of DoW or Dheeraj as the guys, knows about us very well.

Make sure to carry your own ready to eat snacks and booze, cause well, you are landlocked on the resort with the pulley being the only way to go out.

For comprehensive guide to Tirthan Valley check: Delhi to Tirthan Valley, Himachal Pradesh | Travel Guide

First Views

The pulley box

Ample place to run around

Tirthan River

Clear blue water of the river!

Lastly, a pano of the area!
aashish2137
Explorer

Postby dheerajsharma14 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:59 pm

Great update Aashish, I feel we can include all the places mentioned in the article on DoW Blog at: 5 Must Visit Off-beat Places in Himachal Pradesh

I am working on an article with all details on Barot. I will update your post with complete travel guide of Tirthan Valley available in the blog and detailed review of River side Resort is also present there.
dheerajsharma14
Site Administrator

Postby aashish2137 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:43 pm

That sounds good Dheeraj! I've a few more up my sleeves. Will update the blog once with all those done! :)
aashish2137
Explorer

Re: Renuka Ji Lake

Postby Upasana » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:30 pm

Hi Aashish,

Planning for Renuka ji Lake this month.... What all places are there to make a quick visit to??

Regards, Upasana
Upasana

Re: Renuka Ji Lake

Postby aashish2137 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:49 pm

Upasana wrote:Hi Aashish,

Planning for Renuka ji Lake this month.... What all places are there to make a quick visit to??

Regards, Upasana

Upasana, Renuka Ji essentially being a lake and temple, has a certain desolate charm to it. You can enjoy the greenery around, take small walks in the hills around and near the nallah. There's a walkable path that measures the perimeter of the lake which you can take in the evening. Lastly, there's a zoo on the same path which I believe is an object of fascination for kids only.

The HPTDC website mentions the following places of interest (I've not explored all of them personally, but the trek to Jamu Peak sounds interesting)
PLACES OF INTEREST
RENUKA LAKE : Legend has it that when the evil Sahasarjuna killed the sage Jamadagini and tried to abduct his wife Renuka. She flung herself into the water. The gods restored her to life and this lake is regarded to be her embodiment. There is a row of temples along its banks, and a track encircles the water. Boats are available on hire next to the hotel.
PARASHURAMA TAL AND RENUKA TEMPLE (100M) : At the base of the Renuka lake, this large pool is considered to embrace Lord Parshurama, who wished to spend all eternity at his mother's feet. Reportedly built overnight by an invading force of Gurkhas in early 19th Century, the original temple of Renukaji is here. Both mother and son are reunited every year at a celebratory fair held in November.
JAMU PEAK (8 km) : Above the lake is the peak where Rishi Jamadagini is said to have meditated. A footpath leads to the peak. There is a small temple and it offers an excellent view of the lake and surrounding area.
MINI ZOO (2 km) : You can boat across the lake or drive to this zoo, which has Asiatic lions, spotted deer, lion tailed macaques, 'Nilgai' Methuen, barking deer and Himalayan black bears.
LION SAFARI (2 km) : Adjoining the zoo, an armored van enters the large enclosure allowing for a close glimpse of the lions within.
JATAUN (5 km) : The dam of the Giri Hydel Project is here and angling for Mahaseer (river carp) may be done.
aashish2137
Explorer

Next

Return to Travel Guides & Articles