Points to be kept in mind while hiring rental bikes

Read, learn and share more about Traveling to various parts of the Himalayas through these travel guides and articles, in this forum.

Points to be kept in mind while hiring rental bikes

Postby PreetKamal » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:25 am

Leh/Spiti Valley is heaven for bikers :D Every serious biker will think of doing it once in his life time and enjoy the nature's beauty.

Even non bikeres of think of doing it while taking rentals bikes but most of times i have seen people taking rental bikes without any check up end up in problem in middle of no where and feel like cheated. :oops:

Ladakh2012-1734.jpg
Ladakh2012-1734.jpg (54.54 KiB) Viewed 8037 times

So here are few pointers that will help you not to fell in any mess while taking rental bikes

1.Always Ask for well maintained bike from the rental shop as they tend to give whatever they have

2.Take bike for a swift ride and check few of the following things
a.Always check for some unatural sound from the engine.if it is giving unnatural sound straight way ask for its reason if he is not able to answer decline taking it
b.Always see if your motorcycle is giving white smoke.Politely decline it as engine is drinking on oil and is in mess
c.Ask him to show you the Air filter.If it is too dirty ask him to get it changed.I have seen few bikers getting stuck due to air filter issue in middle of no where
d.Check Clutch plates,Go for ride on Climb and check if Bike is going smoothly,if not ask for the reason and tell him there is some issue with clutch
e.Check for Chain set and sockets,if your bike's chain set is giving lot of noise.Politely say no to that bike and ask for other bike,alot of noise in chain set tells chain set is gone and need urgent repair/replace
f.Ask him to show you the state of carburator/plug.....If it looks like burned its again time to ask for its replacment :lol:
g.Check battery by Blowing horn and self starting it on numerous occassions .If it gives little problem ask for its charging.You really won't like to kick start a stranded bike on Khardungla top :o
h.Engine oil.Guys this is most important thing.Get it check in the starting as if there is less oil...it will damage the engine and you will end up in losing your bike and trip
i.Check tyres if they are worn out get it changed you really won't want a falt tyre in middle of no where and that too of royal enfield :shock:

3.Always consult the Locals before jumping into any decision about bike hiring.they can provide you best info of the area and best guys for the job

4.Always ask owner from the starting if he would be providing pickup in case something happens to bike.Mostly do but kindly confirm it in starting for your satisfaction

5.Check your bike properly from Head to toe and point out if you see any scratch or damage to the Owner in the starting itself as they might tend to put blame on you afterwards :? .I have seen this happening to my friend so beware of this :roll:

6.Check if all the documents are in place or not.Ask for all bike related documents

7.Kindly decide rate and days in advance.kindly make sure you are giving security deposit to right person

8.Kindly ask to get your bike a carrier and check its nut and bolts properly

9. Always ask for tool kit of the bike so if you land in some minor problem you are able to sought it out by yourself.

10.Ask for spare spark plug.Because most of bikes in ladakh region faces spark pulg issues at high passes due to less oxygen.if you have one You can change it yourself

Some more points can be found on the article on DoW Blog too: How to Hire or Rent a Bike or Motorcycle in Manali

Guys most importantly Drive safe and drive slow ,You will find open roads which may push to try your driving skills at high speed don't waste your petrol and engine power on that thing.enjoy the nature and its scenes.Try to fell in love with the enviroment because for most of us its a Journey of lifetime.Celeberate it the fullest and enjoy what we call Biker's Heaven :geek:

Hope i Might have answered your all queries :mrgreen:
Last edited by dheerajsharma14 on Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:48 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: added a picture
Mountain Rides Always Calm Down the Unsettled seas of our soul , and Help Us emerge a much happier, calmer and sorted human being
PreetKamal
DoW Core Team

Re: Points to be kept in mind while hiring rental bikes

Postby PreetKamal » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:27 pm

@Madhu ,

Your expert opinion is needed here also.... :D
Mountain Rides Always Calm Down the Unsettled seas of our soul , and Help Us emerge a much happier, calmer and sorted human being
PreetKamal
DoW Core Team

Postby dheerajsharma14 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:14 pm

ha ha ha, you are making Madhu attend every possible article we have on bike to extract all the treasure info he withhold in him :lol: :lol:
dheerajsharma14
Site Administrator

Postby PreetKamal » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:34 pm

@dheerajsharma14,

He has ample knowledge and he is expert in biking..so this should be contributed in each and every way possible :D
Last edited by dheerajsharma14 on Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: spelling typo
PreetKamal
DoW Core Team

Postby madhu » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:09 pm

Sorry Preet. Missed this one.
Pardon me for missing things. I basically live in stone-age with the exception of once or twice a week peeping my head into internet. Apart from that I prefer keeping myself faraway from technology and gadgets.
Coming back to the subject, I haven't yet rented a bike except helping out some friends in hiring one. You've penned down most of the things and with my limited knowledge in renting, here are a few pointers that could be added:
-Its always better to change the engine oil yourself once you hire and better if you go for lower temperature ones.
-Ditto for spark plugs have a couple in hand. Both these have been mentioned already & I wanted to emphasize.
-Check if the bike has a tool box.
-Roll on in 2nd gear. If you get a false neutral at any point, the bike has a probability of kaput gear teeth. I've seen this happen many a times with pulsars.
-Check if the fenders have oil leakage. It's a case of broken oil seals in your front forks. I've always returned with a broken oil seal back from any himalayan trip. The road conditions there, we would be surprised only if it isn't broken.
-Assuming that most rented bikes in the Himalayas are bullets, while riding check if you feel rigidness. That's a common case with bullets as the already hard suspensions gets even harder with riding in the himalayas.

That's all I could recollect as of now. :)
"I did not tell half of what I saw, for I knew I would not be believed."
— Marco Polo, on his deathbed in 1324
madhu
Tripper

Postby dheerajsharma14 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:34 am

Great tips both Madhu and Preet. I am sure this will pave a long way for many devils in selecting right bike while renting.
dheerajsharma14
Site Administrator

Postby Pushkar » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:09 pm

Hello Guys,

During my trip to Leh in August, I am planning to rent bike for nubra valley(2 days). What all things do they provide with it, like Helmet, jacket,gloves,etc

Thanks & Regards,
Pushkar
Pushkar

Postby mosederbaer » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:31 pm

Pushkar wrote:Hello Guys,

During my trip to Leh in August, I am planning to rent bike for nubra valley(2 days). What all things do they provide with it, like Helmet, jacket,gloves,etc

Thanks & Regards,
Pushkar

They should give you bike fitted with ladakh carrier and max the jerry cans. Rest gloves and jackets should be available with some vendors at an extra cost. For helmet, it will be better if you carry your own as one provided by bike rental guy, may not be of good quality.
mosederbaer
DoW Core Team

Postby PreetKamal » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:52 am

@Pushkar,

They will only provide bike fitted with carrier that too if you want it and rest they won't be giving anything...you can take all these things on rent from them.....some guys provide helmets also but all depend upon avaialablity .rset you have to get on rent :)
PreetKamal
DoW Core Team

Return to Travel Guides & Articles