The Oak Chalet Resort, Mukteshwar

Share your reviews of Hotels, Guest Houses & Home Stays in Uttarakhand - Garhwal & Kumaon with other like minded travelers, in this forum.

The Oak Chalet Resort, Mukteshwar

Postby aashish2137 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:10 pm

Adding some information about the place of stay, that is, The Oak Chalet Resort, Mukteshwar : http://gahanaorchards.com/

The entire orchid is owned by Manoj Mehar, who has built 2 properties and his own house on the hill slope. The first property, closest to the road is called the Somerset Lodge and is about 2.5 kms from the Mukteshwar Temple. The property has 4-5 rooms but its a closed room with no window views. There's a kitchen and a dining hall ofcourse. The picture titled - the perfect house is from Somerset Lodge itself.

Once at Somerset, you have to walk downhill on a narrow trekking trail which leads to an old house surrounded by a well maintained garden. The house is owned by Manoj himself. Manoj is a professional trekker and leads groups for high altitude treks in the region. Although he owns the properties, it is mostly run and managed by his staff, Hemu and Bahadur, and is supervised by his uncle.

Further ahead from his place, you cross a small stream of water and admist dense woods arrive at the Oak Chalet resort. I might have a few pictures of the resort but what would really do justice to the amazing location is this photo sphere: https://plus.google.com/photos/10252967 ... 4447925776

Oak Chalet was built 4 years back and has 4 rooms (2 on ground floor and 2 on first) and 3 tents. The place is extremely quiet since its away from the road and the valley has limited settlement. The kitchen and dining hall are made in a separate hut in the periphery. (So basically the place is a honeymoon spot and we were sooo mistaken :mrgreen: )

The resort (?) gets its name from the interiors done in the rooms, that is, wooden floorings, light brown textured walls and huge windows on 2 walls of the room. Bahadur looks after Oak Chalet, cooks food that you'd want to eat, serves bed tea, etc etc. Bahadur can also arrange a bonfire on request. Running hot water (solar water heaters) and a clean western toilet comes with every room. Food is top notch and cherry on the cake is the local produce which is both served and sold.

There are multiple trekking paths that originate from this place. You can trek to the Mukteshwar top, or a wild bird spotting walk in the woods that ultimately leads to a small waterfall in the valley. Bahadur or one of his men will accompany you for the waterfall ofcourse. In the vicinity, you can visit the Mukteshwar temple, Chauli ki Jali (for valley views) or Bhimtal-Sattal-Naukuchiyatal circuit but that would be 2 hours drive one way.

I'd strongly recommend either of the first floor rooms because the valley and sunrise views are amazing from those huge windows.

Cost: 1700 per person per day (is what we paid, you can negotiate ofcourse)
Contact info:
Manoj: 05942-286165, +9837787501
Hemu: +91-8958788246

Here are some pictures of the property:
The bonfire spot with the dining hall right behind it

The dining hall with books, carrom, badminton racquets etc.. The kitchen right behind it. You can actually walk in the kitchen and cook for yourself, shall you feel like

The room ofcourse. Not the best of shots, I know!

The trekking trail used to reach the resort.. The walk is about 500mts, 15mins on a gradient incline/ decline which should be doable by all..

Somerset lodge area. The rooms are towards the extreme end of the picture. The property is indeed nice with properly maintained flowers and gardens but then, the views.. and the serenity..

This picture is actually clicked from the first floor room's window :)

Feel free to shoot your queries, bricks and bats :mrgreen: or whatever.. As far as the travel tale and photos are concerned, I'm done here! 8-)
Last edited by dheerajsharma14 on Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title edited and moved to Hotels & Guest Houses forum from Travel Tale
Thank us by thanking yourself.
Participate with us on our ideas: Responsible Traveling | DoW Causes | Ladakh travel guide | DoW Calendar V2.0
aashish2137
Explorer

Re: A week that wasn't - Mukteshwar Oct '13

Postby dheerajsharma14 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:18 am

Man this is seriously amazing !! Marking it down in one of my travel mega series which is soon to begin... Prices also looks OK enough, though I feel a bit high for the likes of me :D, but considering the place and experience one can get here, seems worthy. Soon gonna give it a try. Any idea about winter conditions, say January or February types? One of the most amazing and creative photo tales I have read till date. Thanks for the share bhai !!

PS: I can move the main post of hotel review in that forum and we can have the link in this thread so that info. is placed at right place, if you want
dheerajsharma14
Site Administrator

Re: A week that wasn't - Mukteshwar Oct '13

Postby aashish2137 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:00 am

Sure Dheeraj, infact I was about to copy paste the hotel info in the hotel reviews section.

Winters are cold and snowy ofcourse but the resort is warm enough. Electricity is 24x7 so heaters can help do the job. The prices are not the most reasonable ones but you can surely bargain since its more of demand supply thing. That being said, among the better resorts in Mukteshwar, this is rather economical. A nearby resort by the name 'Mystic Mukteshwar Resort' goes for 3,000 a night without food for 2 people and its a closed room with no window at all. Also its bang right on the road so the serenity is missing.
Participate with us on our ideas: Responsible Traveling | DoW Causes | Ladakh travel guide | DoW Calendar V2.0
aashish2137
Explorer

Re: The Oak Chalet Resort, Mukteshwar

Postby dheerajsharma14 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:32 am

Admin Note: Post moved from original Travel Tale topic to new topic in Hotels, Guest Houses & Home Stays in Himalayas in order to better segregate the information for the members

Original Travel Tale can be found at: A week that wasn't - Mukteshwar Oct '13
dheerajsharma14
Site Administrator

Postby sany » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:44 pm

WOW....this is definitely a place i shall be going sooner...amazing coverage ashish
The traveler has only one thing on mind.................NOTHING! Keep Going without bothering how its gonna end....
sany
Wanderer

Postby ashish0712 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:42 pm

Must Say property looks Awesome....Added to my Bucket List
ashish0712

Postby aashish2137 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:51 pm

Yep, I think I'd rate it a little above my next favourite destination, which is Tirthan ofcourse! :D
aashish2137
Explorer

Postby dheerajsharma14 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:34 pm

Hmm, we are all set for here then in December. Right?
dheerajsharma14
Site Administrator

Postby aashish2137 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:01 pm

Let's discuss that tomorrow I'm still confused :)
aashish2137
Explorer

Return to Uttarakhand - Garhwal & Kumaon