HP PWD Rest Houses or FRH | List, Reviews & Booking Process

Share your reviews of Hotels, Guest Houses & Home Stays in Rest of Himachal Pradesh with other like minded travelers, in this forum.

HP PWD Rest Houses or FRH | List, Reviews & Booking Process

Postby dheerajsharma14 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:29 pm

Progressing on my efforts for DoW’s vision on economic BUT effective traveling in Himalayas, this time I will write down and share below everything I have learned about booking a room or set at PWD Rest Houses and Circuit Houses in Himachal Pradesh as well as Forest Rest Houses (FRH) in Himachal Pradesh. To be very frank, these PWD Rest Houses or FRH, are located at very sublime locations with some great views on offer. These PWD Rest Houses are built to provide convenience to the GOVT. officials traveling for work purpose mostly and can get benefit even for their vacations. However, in Himachal Pradesh, even a private individual is allowed to take a booking for PWD Rest House or Circuit house or any FRH, if there is any availability. The individual can be Himachali or non-Himachali or even foreigner but Himachal natives have to pay less as compared to non-Himachalis including domestic as well as foreign tourists.

Read the complete article at DoW Blog link: How to Book HP PWD Rest House or FRH

Sagnam PWD Rest House, Pin Valley… Our night stay…

Feel free to ask any queries as replies to this topic. In order to keep the information organized and benefit other fellow travelers as well from your queries, I will request you to please post your replies and queries in the forum topic only NOT as blog comments in these reference links.

Also, if possible, please share your personal experience, pictures too, if you ever happened to have stayed at any of the HP PWD Rest Houses or FRHs.
dheerajsharma14
Site Administrator

Re: HP PWD Rest Houses or FRH | List, Reviews & Booking Proc

Postby Ainvehi » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:54 pm

DSC02065.JPG
PWD Resthouse, Rakcham, HP
DSC02065.JPG (64.08 KiB) Viewed 3181 times

The PWD resthouse in Rakcham (Kinnaur, HP) was where we camped (Dec 2008). With snow all around and the river flowing right next to it, the resthouse was a magical place. The rooms were decent enough and equipped with all the basic necessities for a village as small as Rakcham. That said, the timing of our stay was such that we had to relieve ourselves outdoors but it was quite an experience.

dec08_pt 419.jpg
PWD Resthouse, Sumdo, HP
dec08_pt 419.jpg (44.15 KiB) Viewed 3181 times

dec08_pt 416.jpg
PWD Resthouse, Sumdo, HP
dec08_pt 416.jpg (51.46 KiB) Viewed 3181 times

dec08_pt 423.jpg
Outside PWD Resthouse, Sumdo, HP
dec08_pt 423.jpg (58.53 KiB) Viewed 3181 times

The PWD resthouse in Sumdo (Spiti, HP) was a lifesaver for we weren't finding any place to stay the night (Dec 2008). The rooms were big and again had all the basic things stocked up. The chowkidar was an extremely pleasant guy who cooked a sumptuous daal-chaawal for us when we landed there at an ungodly hour.
The next morning was especially chilly and windy and we decided against heading up to Kaza as the road conditions weren't conducive (& we were short on petrol).

DSC02146.JPG
PWD Resthouse, Recong Peo, HP
DSC02146.JPG (79.95 KiB) Viewed 3181 times

The PWD resthouse in Recong Peo (Dec 2008) was set against a beautiful backdrop and had decent rooms (with no food). We had to venture out in the night for dinner.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The forest resthouse in Hunder, Ladakh is by far the most luxurious of resthouses I've every seen. Humongous rooms, huge dining area, plush furniture, delicious food and TV with cable connectivity. It can only be booked from Leh (Forest Dept. office). (Sorry, don't have pictures available. We were more mesmerized with sand dunes, the double humped camels and the general scenic beauty that Diskit/Hunder offers.)
You've not traveled far enough unless the only way forward is a U-turn!
Ainvehi

Postby dheerajsharma14 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:19 pm

That is a great update Vijay!! Thanks for the share and these PWD Guest Houses seriously rocks at times!! Good on budget and if you get friendly chowkidar you are in for the lovely outing :D

These pictures will motivate others too :)
dheerajsharma14
Site Administrator

Postby dheerajsharma14 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:33 pm

You can check some pictures of Rampur PWD Guest House
dheerajsharma14
Site Administrator

Postby prateek3186 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:30 pm

I am planning to visit Manali and will be with mother and father both have issue in walking to steep roads.

Please help me as follows:

1. Location of Circuit house : I have seen Johnson lodge, sagar resort,casa Bella.. Which one is near to circuit house..this will help me in knowing exact location of circuit house from mall road.

2. Facilities at circuit house : I know it will be a basic structure but still what sort of facilities I can expect ..what abt cleanliness...will the place be warm enough

3. Any suggested plan in 4 days to roam around Manali to covering temples near by Manali like kullu,Naggar,parvati valley...want to visit only ancient or old temples.

4. Any taxi service suggestion.

Thank
prateek3186

Postby dheerajsharma14 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:04 am

prateek3186 wrote:I am planning to visit Manali and will be with mother and father both have issue in walking to steep roads.

Please help me as follows:

1. Location of Circuit house : I have seen Johnson lodge, sagar resort,casa Bella.. Which one is near to circuit house..this will help me in knowing exact location of circuit house from mall road.

Not sure about other two, but Johnson lodge is about 8-10 mins walk at max from Mall road.

2. Facilities at circuit house : I know it will be a basic structure but still what sort of facilities I can expect ..what abt cleanliness...will the place be warm enough

Most of the time cleanliness is not much of an issue and OK to stay. However, food wise expect less. Rest decent comfort I have got so far in almost all the PWD Houses I have stayed in past 5 years.

3. Any suggested plan in 4 days to roam around Manali to covering temples near by Manali like kullu,Naggar,parvati valley...want to visit only ancient or old temples.

Day 1 – Manali Local sightseeing which includes Hadimba Temple, Manu Temple, Mall Road, Local Monastery, Vashisth Hot Water Springs (never found it interesting), Hike the woods around Old Manali, Jogni Falls, Bijli Mahadev near Kullu etc.
Day 2 – Manali – Snow Point or Marhi/Gulaba on the way to Rohtang Pass. Enjoy in snow and come back to Manali. On the way back you can visit Solang Valley and do paragliding there.
Day 3 – Manali – Naggar Castle (stay at Naggar and enjoy the place)
Day 4 – Naggar Castle – Manali – Delhi (Checkout from Naggar Castle by noon. Since, the volov will be around 5.30 PM types, so either you can spend a sometime hanging around Naggar only and after lunch leave for Manali or come back to Manali and hang around on Mall road and finally take the return bus)

4. Any taxi service suggestion.

Check the drivers of Manali - Leh route in the link: http://devilonwheels.com/india/ladakh-zanskar-travel-guides/listof-taxi-drivers-for-ladakh-srinagar-leh-manali-t353.html
dheerajsharma14
Site Administrator

Postby prateek3186 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:04 pm

Thanks Dheeraj For the information.
prateek3186

Postby maanvikmukesh » Sat May 20, 2017 6:48 pm

i am lucky to stay in a FRH at prashar ,,,the booking process was quite friendly ,,,the care taker over there was really a gentle man,,,we have to take raw vegetables & other thing than he prepared us delicious food...he helped us in that thunderstorm night when the electricity was cutoff with his torch....in short i mean to say these guest house in HP are good with basic facility to our comfort....
maanvikmukesh

Postby dheerajsharma14 » Mon May 22, 2017 2:50 am

maanvikmukesh wrote:i am lucky to stay in a FRH at prashar ,,,the booking process was quite friendly ,,,the care taker over there was really a gentle man,,,we have to take raw vegetables & other thing than he prepared us delicious food...he helped us in that thunderstorm night when the electricity was cutoff with his torch....in short i mean to say these guest house in HP are good with basic facility to our comfort....

That's wonderful to know. Do you have updated contact number of him?
dheerajsharma14
Site Administrator

Return to Rest of Himachal Pradesh