Himalayan Trout House & Other places to stay in Tirthan

Share your reviews of Hotels, Guest Houses & Home Stays in Rest of Himachal Pradesh with other like minded travelers, in this forum.

Himalayan Trout House & Other places to stay in Tirthan

Postby akaushik » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:20 am

The Himalayan Trout House
IMG_5565.JPG
IMG_5565.JPG (35.29 KiB) Viewed 8314 times

The one word which in which I could describe experience and hospitality is "Awesome". The himalayan Trout house is located in Nagani just 2-3 kms before Raju's Guest House and 2-3 Kms after the Himalayan River Side Resort. I stayed back there in 2004 when Christopher had tented accommodation but now he has upgraded his place to beautiful huts and cottages.

Price wise the Cottages are the most expensive ones with 3500 per night stay followed by Mud Houses i.e 2500 per night and Eco Huts 1700 per night. These are the listed rates of the property. Somehow I manged to get Mud House in 2000 bucks per night including breakfast.

One has to keep in mind that Tirthan Valley is not a tourist destination like any other popular hill station so you might find it difficult to arrange basic necessities. You wont find any food in outside dhabas and food joints. Infact there are no dhabas available. For all your needs you have to drive to banjar for a good market. I found one chinese food joint which was to my surpise ISO 9000 certified and was serving ok types food. Name of the joint is ICY SPICY and you can try their burger it is good.

Again coming back to Himalayn Trout House there is only 4-5 cars parking available and you might need to submit your keys to christopher incase needed. Else in front of the Trout House there is a road followed by Tirthan river. You need to walk approx 100 meters to approach river bed which was amazing. If you like fishing then you can ask those guys and they can provide you with a guide and all equipments on rent.
IMG_5557.JPG
IMG_5557.JPG (26 KiB) Viewed 8314 times

The mud house in which we stayed was build for perfection , the best part was skylight. You ndont even need a single bulb or tubelight for from dusk to dawn. Even bathroom has enough skylight for illuminating whole facility. There are walls made up with bricks and mud and windows to all sides. The place was very neat and clean and staff was very helpful. Even they have changed my tyre and didn't changed me for that! Although I had given handsome tip to them later on. Bed sheets are quite good and towels are neat and clean. The mud house was very clean.
IMG_5559.JPG
IMG_5559.JPG (35.27 KiB) Viewed 8314 times

Now let's come to Food : Seriously speaking I was not expecting this kind of taste on hills by spending that much amount. Initially me and my wife were very confused that weather to order food from there as it was quite expensive. Dal + Paneer + roti can cost you 350 bucks. On the other hand a Biryani is at the same price. THough they have different variety but they have more options for non vegetarians than grass eaters like me!
They have menu starting from snacks french fries costing 90 to some non veg dishes upto 700-800.

The included breakfast had paranthas , corn flakes , upma , poha or english breakfast as options. For breakfast we ate paranthas and in lunch we tries their biryani on first day. It was a wonderful delight! Frankly speaking last time I had that kind of meal in Intercontinental Mauritius. After eating my biryani I went on to chef (His name was Prem) and appreciated his skill. There was one another helpful person employed there named Deepak. He is good if you want to get information about the places near by or routes, you can ask for him.

Then after in dinner we tried Dal + Paneer with roti , quantity was good for 3 and quality was exceptional , their kitchen was also one of the cleanest places I had visited even christopher himself use the same kitchen for himself. The chef was assisted and directed by her own wife! Hot water is provided in buckets to conserve electricity. One bucket per person policy is there.

The place two sitting areas one near the road with the river view & other for night time a restaurant seating area. As we stayed there in rains. We had some problem with insects and mosquitoes. They were annoying outside so we requested our dinner inside. They wont allow you to dine inside room as the policy but exceptions are everywhere. There are trees and orchids surrounded by and few see saw tied on the tree in front with tyres. There is a small place for children.

Now my Final words You should stay at christopher if
1) You are ready to pay 2000+ spending for an eco house in 1700 I would prefer River Side Resort as if you are staying there at least stay in Mud house to experience true Trout House.
2) You are lazy and wont mind getting a good food at higher cost , there is another option that you can drive daily to banjar for Breakfast / Lunch / Dinner ( ICY SPICY or Sharma ji ka Dhabha is famous there) near Bus stop.
3) You are a perfectionist and don't compromise on quality and ambience.

Contact Details for Himalayan Trout House

Landline: 01903-225112
Cellphone: 09418128383

Else I have explored another places there as well which are cheap for fellow DOW-ians some of them are

1. Trishla Home Stay
Mr. Aman 09418703820
Food : Home Made dal chawal and dal roti types
Room : Good but without views Only like you are staying in some apartment.
Price : 1000 bucks for two including all meals

2) River side resort ( The one which Dheeraj already mentioned in his comprehensive review)
Mr. Anirudh 09810008808
Food : Good ( As told by dheeraj)
Room : Nice you can view photographs from the dheeraj's review)
Price : 1800 for two include all meals.

Well some of you might think that which will be good between raju's and christopher. My opinion would be towards Himalayan Trout house.

Places to see near by : Water fall , Apple orchids & fields , Mata Mandir , Himalayan National Park , Fishing , River Bed , A nice wooden bridge etc..

Hope it will help other fellow dow-ians to some extent..

Now here comes the pictures
IMG_5563.JPG
IMG_5563.JPG (64.65 KiB) Viewed 8314 times
IMG_5562.JPG
IMG_5562.JPG (65.18 KiB) Viewed 8314 times
IMG_5558.JPG
IMG_5558.JPG (25.31 KiB) Viewed 8314 times

Dheeraj Bhai Please arrange these pics for me they are coming in duplicates!!
Last edited by dheerajsharma14 on Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:16 am, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: Contact number updated
Himalayas Calling.... & I am answering!
akaushik
Rookie

Re: Himalayan Trout House & Other places to stay in Tirthan

Postby dheerajsharma14 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:17 pm

Anshul, awesome review brother !! This will help a lot of fellow travelers going for Tirthan Valley. I will update the links in the Travel Guide to Tirthan with this article so that if someone is looking for more information and can refer this post. and make a good decision between available choices.

I agree this property is well worth the money spent if one is ready to do so and this fits in the budget. Complete value for money and those who have lower budget can surely walk upto to River Side and even lower budget an go over to Trishla or Sringi Vatika (near Banjar)
dheerajsharma14
Site Administrator

Postby aashish2137 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:16 pm

Slightly expensive IMO, compared to Rajus and Riverside. Also, no direct access to the river. But I agree with the food part. From what I've heard, the food is exceptional. Next time I'll drop by for a meal with the Trout House to experience it for myself! :)
Thank us by thanking yourself.
Participate with us on our ideas: Responsible Traveling | DoW Causes | Ladakh travel guide | DoW Calendar V2.0
aashish2137
Site Moderator

Postby sany » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:41 pm

Wow, amazing review brother. Certainly helpful! kudos, keep travelling and keep sharing!
The traveler has only one thing on mind.................NOTHING! Keep Going without bothering how its gonna end....
sany
DoW Core Team

Postby akaushik » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:02 pm

aashish2137 wrote:Slightly expensive IMO, compared to Rajus and Riverside. Also, no direct access to the river. But I agree with the food part. From what I've heard, the food is exceptional. Next time I'll drop by for a meal with the Trout House to experience it for myself! :)

Yeah aashish its expensive but its worth each penny spent , I want to share one incident , Today I went for lunch with my wife in bercos and we ordered soups followed by Mushroom's(starters) and then Sizller and shockingly bill came to 900 bucks in which 134 rs/ was VAT + Service tax. Looking at the bill my wife compared it with christopher and said that Indeed it was worth money spent there as everything which they served or did by straight from heart and was not with sheer professional & consumeristic ethos!

And about river you can view it from your room window but because of its location higher than river bed you have to descend 100 meters.

Dheeraj Bro thanks for your inspiration , will try to contribute as much as possible.

Sany , Bro thanks...
akaushik
Rookie

Postby aashish2137 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:14 pm

Yep, agreed. No complaints about the food whatsoever :)

I liked the food at River Side Resorts as well but we didn't have much of a choice there. We could tell Bhuvan what we wanted subject to availability. About Raju's, I've heard he offers beer and wifi as well! :D
Participate with us on our ideas: Responsible Traveling | DoW Causes | Ladakh travel guide | DoW Calendar V2.0
aashish2137
Site Moderator

Postby dheerajsharma14 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:00 pm

The biggest advantage of staying with Raju and Christopher are that these guys themselves have put heart into the properties and the personal touch or presence that they give to the guest is just formidable and sometimes you feel as priceless!! Raju Bharti has a balance of everything, facilities, personal touch, hospitality, living standard, support etc.. While Christopher offers similar experience but prices are a bit high side BUT again as Anshul pointed out WORTH the experience if it fits in your budget... River Side Resort, does have balance of good food, location and prices. But, it lacks the personal touch, greenery, a bit comfort as well when compared what is offer on the former ones. However, extremely VFM option it is as well. My best is always in following order:

1. If you looking for lovely experience and VFM option, then nothing beats Raju Bharti in any sense and shall be always the first priority!!
2. If you looking for lovely experience and are OK with Himalayan Trout House Budget, then second option you shall choose it.
3. Finally, if you are just looking for a place to stay in Tirthan on less price with good food then River Side Resort is the one you choose.

"Experience" is the keyword here in the first 2 which you will not get in 3 :)
dheerajsharma14
Site Administrator

Postby aashish2137 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:39 pm

I'd disagree with your last statement. Although I haven't been to either of Raju's or Himalayan Trout House, but two visits to the River Side Resort were only from an experience POV. The rooms are cheap and comfortable, the hospitality is warm, the food though basic, is hygienic and tasty. Yes there are no luxuries, but it is a getaway and not just another place to stay.

That being said, I'm intrigued to check out Raju Bharti and HTH now to add weight to my claims! :mrgreen:
aashish2137
Site Moderator

Postby dheerajsharma14 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:04 pm

Aashish, all my statements are in comparison to each other. River Side Resort is extreme VFM considering everything but experience wise Raju and Himalayan Trout House are at par and yeah, we shall have some DoW Winter Meet in either of them somewhere down in November/December ;)
Last edited by dheerajsharma14 on Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Spelling mistake
dheerajsharma14
Site Administrator

Postby akaushik » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:44 pm

dheerajsharma14 wrote:Aashish, all my statements are in comparison to each other. River Side Resort is extreme VFM considering everything but experience wise Raju and Himalayan Trout House are at par and yeah, we shall have some DoW Winter Meet in either of them somewhere down in November/December ;)

That's a nice idea! we should plan a DOW family meet ;-) I will be there from 22-25th nov :mrgreen:
akaushik
Rookie

Next

Return to Rest of Himachal Pradesh