DoW Community Core Club | Introduction & Details

You can read about various important announcements made from the HTC team, in this forum.

DoW Community Core Club | Introduction & Details

Postby dheerajsharma14 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:15 pm

DoW Community Core Club :?: :?:

I know this is a kind of surprise for many but to materialize the vision of DoW - Himalayan Travel Community this leap by DoW will go a long way to help all of us seriously do something for Himalayas and above all keep doing it. I am not sure about the future of this community like how it will grow, whether it will change or re-define the way travel to Himalayas, whether it will change in the way many of us travel to Himalayas or not, etc.

However, right from the onset of DoW Blog, I believe in this vision plus dream and even if at a tiniest of level I will certainly make it happen in my own limitations. Thanks to the efforts of Sandeep (Sany) & Aashish (aashish2137) that the tiniest of effort is now in multiples of 3 ;) ... But, I am sure with your support we can grow to the multiples of many thousands here. Hence, if you really love Himalayas, really want to do something for the lives in Himalayas, together let's join into this initiative and lay a foundation that can create that difference in traveling effectively to Himalayas in future.

Here are the details about our DoW Community Core Club:

1. What is DoW Community Core Club?
DoW Community Core Club is a group of like minded Himalayan Travelers or local Himalayans:
  1. who love to Travel Responsibly by supporting one or the other causes for Himalayas
  2. who love to Travel with Adventure, Belief, Compassion
  3. who love to Travel to Explore & Educate fellow travelers about Himalayas and art of Responsible Travel
  4. who love to Travel with a Difference, eventually leading & creating that Difference...

2. What is the Vision & Focus of DoW Community Core Club?
In DoW Community Core Club, we will focus to contribute, educate & guide travelers to Travel Responsibly along with supporting one or the other DoW - Causes. It will help us materialize our vision to help the people from Himalayas grow in their own sense and space by promoting more causes, culture, dreams, people, homes and lives from Himalayas!!

Under this club, we wish to travel together frequently to Himalayas, conduct various travel workshops, educate each other about traveling to Himalayas along with supporting one or the other DoW - Causes for Himalayan people.

DoW Community Core Club will work as an engine to support & materialize the vision of our DoW - Himalayan Travel Community (DoW-HTC).

3. Composition of DoW Community Core Club?
DoW Community Core Club will be comprised of a team of 20 seasoned travelers who frequently travel or like to travel to Himalayas & have strong belief in the vision of DoW Community. These 20 travelers must have a heart to take up this pristine responsibility of creating a difference in the way we travel to Himalayas & must work with synergy to materialize our vision.

There will be a DoW - Chief Travel Mentor (Aashish) who will be leading the community core club along with 4 other travelers as DoW - Travel Mentor. Apart from these five travel mentors, we will have 15 travelers as DoW - Traveler who seriously wish to contribute actively in the DoW Community. We can safely say that these 15 travelers can be called as aspiring Travel Mentors of our community. In future, as we grow in the community, we may wish to induct the most passionate ones as DoW - Travel Mentors and expand our team, but that is very long term now.

But guys, please keep in mind that all these 20 members will equally form the core of our DoW Community, to help us materialize our vision into reality and rest all are just titles with added responsibilities. It is the passion for Himalayas that counts more here along with the belief in our vision for Himalayas :) ...

4. Who are DoW - Travel Mentors & DoW - Travelers & what are their responsibilities?
These are few selected seasoned travelers in DoW Community, who will be leading various Himalayan Meets / DoW Workshops as a team. Each of these mentors will team up with three other DoW - Traveler making the teams of four members each. As a team, their main responsibilities will be:
  1. Organizing & Leading our Himalayan Meets and Travel Workshops while supporting one or the other DoW Causes to Travel Responsibly in Himalayas. The members of the teams on such meets will be responsible for meeting local Himalayan people, understanding their needs & concerns, getting the right point of contact at that location & finally initiating one of the DoW Causes for that Himalayan region in our future meets.
  2. Conducting DoW Travel Workshops to Guide & Educate members of our community about DO's & DONT's, people, culture, landscape, geography etc. while traveling to various parts of Himalayas. They will also guide & educate all members either being with them on tours OR in the community itself through various travel articles.
  3. Mentoring the members on their individual / personal Himalayan tours and educating them how they can Travel Responsibly in Himalayas and contribute to any of our DoW Causes.
  4. Developing an expertise of at least one region in Himalayas (again as a team). They will keep publishing educative material for traveling to those regions including various articles in DoW Community, conducting the workshops etc. for their regions of expertise in Himalayas. It is not mandatory that one team has at least single region as expertise but the team can opt for any number of regions and overlap with others as well. However, they should have at least one expertise region in Himalayas.
  5. Sanitizing as well as completing the information posted in DoW Community by the members of the community.
  6. Motivating & Guide tourists or guests or members of community even in the itinerary section to support DoW - Causes by sharing their details while helping them plan for their trips in Itinerary advice section.
  7. In the end, helping to transform every other soul in our DoW Family to Travel more like Responsible Travelers in Himalayas rather than just Tourists and eventually, help our community materialize its vision to support Himalayas & Himalayan lives.

To fill a copy and send it to us, you can check the Responsibilities Matrix at the link: DoW Roles and Responsibilities Matrix

5. How can I become a DoW - Traveler?
Anyone, being an active part of DoW Community or DoW family who strongly believe in our vision to do something for Himalayas, has traveled or even wish to travel in Himalayas extensively, is passionate about learning/sharing information with other fellow Himalayan travelers and in the end, is ready to take up the responsibilities mentioned in point 4 as a team, can request us by sending Mail or PM to Moderation Team or Chief Travel Mentor Aashish in DoW Community. Existing members of DoW Community Core Club & Moderation Team will evaluate the request based on the active participation of the member in the community & his willingness plus passion to learn as well as spread information about Himalayan travel.

6. How can I become a DoW - Travel Mentor?
Travel Mentors of the DoW Community Core Club will only be hand picked seasoned travelers who are extremely passionate for Himalayas, educating others about Himalayas and strongly believe in the vision of DoW Community. However, as our community grows, we will need more Travel Mentors to create an expertise and spread our vision to other parts of Himalayas. The passionate DoW - Travelers who are ready to take up the role will be given an opportunity to be inducted as Travel Mentors. However, in near future this isn't likely to happen unless our niche Himalayan community grows like anything in an year or two :D ...

7. Why should I join OR what benefits will I get being a member of DoW Community Core Club?
Well, it is somehow tricky to answer because if you are passionate for Himalayas and would love to do something for Himalayas in time to come, I am sure you will love to be one of the core parts of DoW Community. Still to name a few,
  1. You will be a core part of leading the change in the way we travel to Himalayas by supporting various DoW - Causes.
  2. Educating and getting educated yourself about traveling to Himalayas by being part of DoW Community Core Club where we will have travel workshops and will also conduct various Himalayan meets.
  3. You have yourself 20 odd like minded Travel buddies who will be frequently visiting various parts of Himalayas, thus you can join them anytime to satisfy the hunger of Travel.
  4. On materialistic side access to some DoW-ed Warmers or T-shirts which will be exclusively available to these 20 odd members only.
  5. Remember, it is to do something for one common passion we share, "The Himalayas and its people" !!

8. Do I need to pay any money or subscription fees for being a member of DoW Community Core Club?
Well, it is for one common passion we share, "The Himalayas and its people" ... So, no money involved here rather we all just need ongoing passion to work on our community's vision. We all will pool in money for any expenditure of food/accommodation, if any, on various DoW - Meets, Devil's Travel Workshops, Himalayan Meets etc. equally among the participating members :) ...

9. Being a member of the DoW Community Core Club, is it mandatory to be associated with one of the DoW - Causes?
Yes and I do not think you will disagree on it in case you strongly believe in the vision of DoW Community. Every member of DoW Community Core Club need to support one or the other DoW - Causes through our DoW Community Core Club tours to Himalayas, at least once in an year.

10. Can any guest member or community member or tourists join any of the DoW - Himalayan Meets, DoW Mini - Meets, DoW Mega - Meets or attend DoW Travel Workshops or support DoW Causes? If yes, then is there any criteria?
Yes, anyone can send a request to Moderation Team or Chief Travel Mentor in DoW Community to join any of our DoW - Himalayan Meets, DoW Mini - Meets, DoW Mega - Meets or attend DoW Travel Workshops. The only criteria will be willingness to learn about traveling to Himalayas. However, those requesting to join the DoW - Himalayan Meets or DoW Mega Meets MUST have to support one or the other DoW Causes..

With effect from 2015, there will not be any open Mega Meets and will be invite ONLY followed by screening to verify the willingness and reason to join over DoW Mega Meet in Himalayas

Even if you want to support any of the DoW Causes, DoW Community Core Club will provide all sought of support to you in terms of planning that trip to Himalayas, providing necessary contacts support that cause in that region.

11. What happens if one of the DoW Community Core Club members lives in the far off cities like Bangalore, Mumbai, Chennai etc. or other parts of world too?
In case, one lives far away from Himalayas but he/she hold strong passion for Himalayas and believe in the vision of DoW Community, perhaps they can help other members of the club motivate as well as educate to be actively part of the community. They can help motivate members in the community for supporting the causes, educate peers for traveling to Himalayas etc. They can organize DoW Mini Meet around their own respective regions and spread the noble vision our community has of course with Travel being soul of it.

As long as the intent is pristine and in relation to do something for Himalayas, I feel it shall be OK with the club members even if such far away members are unable to come over for yearly Himalayan meets. But, once they carry out tours for themselves in Himalayas then they can support the same causes and educate others traveling with them about various things associated with that Himalayas region.

Hence, don't let the boundaries come between supporting the change in the way we travel to Himalayas...

12. How is this different from Volunteer Tourism?
You must have heard about Volunteer Tourism BUT this is something different, may be call it a small scale!! Or may be same but effectiveness will be quite different for both the Himalayan lives as well as person volunteering for it. You will not be charged here to do volunteer work in Himalayas rather you can support DoW Causes or even align your own causes and DoW Community Core Club will provide all sought of support to you in terms of planning that trip to Himalayas, providing necessary contacts to carry out that volunteer work in terms of supporting either DoW - Causes or your own cause. OR you can join in any of the DoW - Himalayan Meets or DoW Mega Meets to carry out such causes with other seasoned Himalayan travelers & even get educated on various things about traveling to Himalayas including Responsible Travel
Last edited by dheerajsharma14 on Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:40 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: language and formatting changes
dheerajsharma14
Site Administrator

Re: DoW - Adventure Club | Introduction & Details

Postby aashish2137 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:55 pm

Amazing initiative Dheeraj. I think this goes a long way in strengthening the vision of this forum and provides everyone with a practical chance to be a part of it. I reassure the members of my 100% contribution to it and hope to see members taking an active part in the club and causes.
Thank us by thanking yourself.
Participate with us on our ideas: Responsible Traveling | DoW Causes | Ladakh travel guide | DoW Calendar V2.0
aashish2137
Site Moderator

Postby Ghumakkar Punit » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:33 pm

It's jut fabulous and amazing step.. I am feeling speechless, honestly!
I must say Dheeraj, if we'll try we will be able to do a lot for the Himalayan underprivileged community... It will be for sure a honor for me to be an active part of this movement in making...
Ghumakkar Punit
--------------------------------------------
सैर कर दुनिया की गाफिल ,जिंदगानी फिर कहाँ |
जिंदगानी गर रही तो, नव जवानी फिर कहाँ ||
"Happiness is When Shared" and I share themhere...
Ghumakkar Punit

Postby aashish2137 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:43 pm

Punit, a big +1 to you. We, or the world at large might find it a drop in the ocean, but each one of those guys living out there by themselves, it means a sea change in the way they lives.
Thank us by thanking yourself.
Participate with us on our ideas: Responsible Traveling | DoW Causes | Ladakh travel guide | DoW Calendar V2.0
aashish2137
Site Moderator

Postby dheerajsharma14 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:46 pm

Thanks a lot Punit and very warm welcome to the DoW-HTC Community!! :) :)

Also, thanks bhai for coming forward for being a part of this initiative and showing interest in being actively part of this Himalayan drive. I am marking you as one of the DoW - Travelers here and I am sure you will do real justice to the community and help in materializing our vision.
dheerajsharma14
Site Administrator

Postby ashish0712 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:37 pm

Great Work Dheeraj, Much needed Initiative and Vision to promote Sustainable and Responsible Travel to Himalayas

Will be an Honour to contribute constructively to DoW - Himalayan Travel Community !!!
ashish0712

Postby tapan » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:00 am

Hi Dheeraj, and others !

This is a great initiative. Your passion shines through :)
I have done a bit of travelling in the Himalayas, and try and be there regularly (atleast once a year). It's like coming home for me. I would like to be a part of this initiative in whatever manner or capacity possible. I am eagerly awaiting next instalments of the 12/12 tour details.
Take care
Tapan
tapan

Postby dheerajsharma14 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:37 am

Tapan, welcome to DoW-HTC Family !! :) :)

Glad to see you here and really looking forward to the first DoW Tour to Ladakh ... The 20 core members will be more or less responsible for fueling in the knowledge and running causes for different parts of Himalayas. Major responsibilities are covered in Point 4, so if you think you can dedicate few hours every week for the community, feel free to let me know. We are planning a DoW Meet in mid of August and from then on we will start various workshops for Himalayas on future meets.

We will invite all the members of our Ladakh tour too on the same meet and we can discuss how things will move ahead in time to come. I am just waiting for 31st July so that I can re-evaluate the number of members. Expect some action starting August :)
dheerajsharma14
Site Administrator

Postby tapan » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:24 pm

Hi Dheeraj,

You must be on your iPad all the time; how else can you respond so promptly :lol:

Thanks for your reply. I love driving. Some of my friends have quipped that I must have been an inter-state bus driver of Himachal roadways in my previous birth (I take it as a compliment :D :D )

Points (a), (b) and (d) look enticing. I may be game on either of these. Will need to understand a little more on these three to freeze.

Looking forward to making my two-bit contribution on my first love - Himalayas.

Take care
Tapan
tapan

Postby getpackingvinod » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:36 pm

Excellent initiative, kudos to you.

As you pointed out, being far off (Bangalore) is not a barrier as long as you want to be a part of the cause. I got a fair idea from the FAQs you have , and I'd like to be helpful in whatever little way I can. The responsibilities listed are crisp, and with my current job situation I am not sure if I'll be able to do my best by becoming a DoW traveler. As the months pass by, and as the DOW group grows (which I am confident), I'd definitely like to be a DOW Traveler.
getpackingvinod
DoW Core Team

Next

Return to Announcements