DoW Himalayan Travel Community

Uttarakhand Snowfall Updates 2016

• dheerajsharma14 on #24214

Starting this thread to post the snowfall news from Uttarakhand so that we all can plan our journeys accordingly.

First snowfall of the season in Uttarakhand has begun where Gangotri, Yamunotri and Badrinath received a heavy spell of snowfall while other parts got lashed with rains.

Read more below at:

Dehradun, October 11
    Weather turned in the hills of Uttarakhand today as the season’s first snowfall was reported from many parts of the state.
    According to the regional Met office, heavy snowfall was recorded in Gangotri, Yamunotri and Badrinath late on Monday night.
    While heavy rains lashed the Hemkund Saheb and some parts of the Himalayan foothills, including Uttarkashi and Chamoli districts leading to the drop in mercury.
    Although officially the monsoon was over, the weatherman said, rains occurred owing to “remnant moisture”. — IANS

External Source: Uttarakhand gets season’s first snow

Participant
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 146
    nitishkumar on #55767

Does this mean that one should be able to see some snow on peaks from Dhanulti? A friend just came back two days back and didn’t find any

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Replies: 2295
    Vinod Raman on #55768

@nitishkumar wrote:

Does this mean that one should be able to see some snow on peaks from Dhanulti? A friend just came back two days back and didn’t find any

Nitish Bhai, I am just back, and like I had informed you a couple of days earlier, the entire range of peaks from Swargarohini to Chaukambha were visible to us, both from Dhalolti and Surkanda Devi

Participant
    nitishkumar on #55769

@getpackingvinod wrote:

@nitishkumar wrote:

Nitish Bhai, I am just back, and like I had informed you a couple of days earlier, the entire range of peaks from Swargarohini to Chaukambha were visible to us, both from Dhalolti and Surkanda Devi

Trying to get Guest House booking in Nainital or Mussoorie. If I get that then it would be one day trip on Saturday

Participant
    nitishkumar on #55770

Managed the Nainital Club Guest House. Trip is on. Anyone been in that guest house here?

Participant
    nitishkumar on #55771

@getpackingvinod wrote:

@nitishkumar wrote:

How is the route? Heard Rudrapur side is bad nowadays for 40-50 kms. Is it? Kaladhungi route in perfect shape? Saturday early morning drive

Sent from my HM NOTE 1LTE using Tapatalk

Participant
    nitishkumar on #55772

Participant
    Replies: 96
    dipankarb on #55773

How did you find the route [tag:f3gijbey]nitishkumar[/tag:f3gijbey]

Participant
    nitishkumar on #55774

@dipankarb wrote:

How did you find the route [tag:6cvagt80]nitishkumar[/tag:6cvagt80]

The one mentioned in the screenshot wasn’t good. Goes via Tanda which was a market and Bajpur railways crossing etc was trouble along with one under construction bridge.

Correct route though wasn’t suggested by Google but was the one which goes via Suar, Bajpur and then Kaladhungi. Came back via that and it was perfect shape. I started by 0530 hrs from Nainital and was at Haveli, Gajraula by 9AM (reached back home by 1245 hrs though considering mess before Ghaziabad and inside noida etc)

There were almost NIL bad patches in the route via which I returned.

Keymaster
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 9205
    DHEERAJ SHARMA on #55776

Yeah, the Suar, Bajpur route is not suggested by Google and sometimes there is a confusion as well when going from Suar route as make left near the railway line. I lost while going but then managed while coming back.

Participant
    dipankarb on #55778

I just traveled back from Munsiyari and took the Rudrapur-Rampur route while descending from Pithoragarh, Champawat . It is terrible to say the least with crater like potholes and intermittent traffic that creates quite a bottleneck for about 15/20 Kms. A strict No-No for someone planning to travel by this route. I found the road suggested by Nitish to be good. Thanks

Participant
    dipankarb on #55779

I traveled on the below route over Diwali weekend , any one needing any advice may get in touch with me.

wordpress.2009-08-07.xml.txtActual route travelled.jpg[/attachment:37l3fcv2]

Keymaster
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 9205
    DHEERAJ SHARMA on #55775

Dipankar how were the road conditions otherwise on te route to Munsiyari and then especially down from Minsiyari to Pithorgarh. Did you go to Dharchula?

Participant
    dipankarb on #55777

Dear Dhiraj Bhai I found the road from Nainital to Munsiyari( The route I traveled) to be good. Except for the fact that it is very narrow . However with less traffic I did not have any major difficulty. While coming back I did not go to Dharachula but the road I travelled till about 15-20 kms before Pithoragarh the road was not very good and lot of under construction section did not make our drive any pleasant either. From Pithoragarh to Champawat the road was good. From Champawat to Khatima the road was good again but from Khatima till Rampur it was terrible and strongly recommend not to take it, Better is to go up to Bareilly and take the bypass to reach Rampur.

Participant
    Replies: 2
    faiz on #55780

Dear Dipankar bhai i want to travel to munsiyari from khatima , kindly suggest me the best route, road conditions and hotels in munsiyari and chaukori.
    If possible send me ur no so that i can get in touch and discuss some details .

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • The topic ‘Uttarakhand Snowfall Updates 2016’ is closed to new replies.

Love Traveling to Himalayas?

YES?? Then, Let's Stay Connected !!

Get FREE monthly travel updates, news, guides, tips, itineraries, stories, hotel & restaurant reviews, etc.. focused totally on travelling to Himalayas right in to your email inbox.

Don't worry, we will neither SPAM nor SELL your email :)

Send this to a friend